Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Kean Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 71.213.227.125
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been fascinated by the exterior of the Kean Building on East Jefferson, as I think it is one of the better looking buildings along the river's "Gold Coast". With it's hip roof, gargoyles and terra-cotta exterior, it looks quite opulent, but unfortunately does not look like its been maintained to a large degree.

I've always wondered what the interior of the place was like; anyone ever been in the place? Back when I worked at the Roostertail in the late 80's, I knew a guy who lived in the penthouse, but never had an opportunity to get inside & check it out. I do recall him mentioning poor maintenance even at that time.

Based on its shape and floorplate size, it doesn't seem that the apartments could be very large.

Anyone have any first hand experience with this beauty, or any interesting history?

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=187543

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2678
Posted From: 4.229.105.227
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've heard (haven't been there myself), each floor has 4 apartments (each apartment gets their own wing with windows on 3 sides!).

And didn't someone say this building was by the same architect as the Lee Plaza??

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can tell it was designed by Charles Noble, the same as Lee Plaza

http://www.emporis.com/en/cd/c m/?id=106064

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 71.213.227.125
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another link about some of the history of the Kean. Egyptian Art Deco?

http://www.detroit1701.org/Kea n%20Apartments.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2056
Posted From: 69.221.79.204
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just from initial observation (i.e. what lights are on at night), the first 10 floors are well occupied, but the top few (don't know if there is a penthouse or what) are dark. This is strange because there is another hotel building next door which blocks the lower stories' downtown views. I have seen a real estate listing for one of the more pricey Kean units.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 638
Posted From: 12.159.48.254
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the building next to the Kean (the Hibbard). When I was looking at apartments at the time, I also checked one out in the Kean. I was fascinated by its exterior and disappointed by the interior. The apartments are rather bland. In comparison, I was really pleased with the apartments in the Hibbard building and have been living there ever since. Both buildings, as well as some others in the neighborhood and owned and managed by the same company. Service/maintenance is very good. I don't know for how long the current organization has been in place but many of my neighbors have been living there for many years, the guy in one of the penthouse apartments for example lives there since 1983, so if that's any indication ...
By the way, the view from the upper floors in both buildings are phenomenal, I live on the 8th floor but the Kean is much higher.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As mentioned, the Kean has 4 apartments per floor. One bedroom units in the north & south wings, 2 bedroom units in the east and west. The top floor in the center of the tower was a very high ceilinged garret with terraces atop each of the 4 apartment wings. It was available for tenants use for parties. The Kean has an indoor garage; but I doubt it would have the capacity to meet today’s needs.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4214
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr, is the garage underneath the structure?

Neilr

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, the garage is entered through a door and a downward-sloping driveway on the front of the east wing of the Kean. In the 2nd link posted by Rrl, it appears to be a shadow next to the liquor store. When the Kean was built, the population of the area was condensed and buses serviced the middle class folks who lived at the Kean and worked and shopped downtown. For those families who had a car, one was enough. There were also stand alone garages in the neighborhood where cars could be kept and delivered to the front door when called for.

Neilr

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kean Apartments

This is my best effort to show a floor plan of the Kean. It's of a 2 bedroom unit on the east side of the building.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 69.14.17.198
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the Kean for several years, Nine North. At the time, the owner was Michael HIggins, his mother lived there and there was a great dibersity of tenants. Unfortunately, the maintenance of the building was just above horrific. The building manager was blind inher good eye and couldn't see out of her other eye. Her idea of building maintenance was running a vacuum across the lobby indoor outdoor carpet once a week. The beautiful wood panelled lobby and a black and white marble floor, the apartments all had beautiful hardwood floors. In the one bedroom North units, you entered into a small foyer, down the hall to a bedroom on the left, bath on the right, straight ahead to the living room, left to the dining room and left into the kitchen. Three sides of the apartmenthad windows and great vistas. The ever declining neighborhood and sinful lack of care on part of the building owner forced us out. That building holds fond memories for me....but, if you really want an impressive aprtment building, check out The Pasadena at [I belive] 2170 East Jefferson, the giant yellow guy just West of the Garden Court. Some years ago, Smith hinchman published a book on the building. I also lived there, on the roof terrace. Originally, there were two apartments per floor. The first in the city to have electricity 24 hours a day ! So grand was this structure, it was the largest apartment building in the country aside from the Knickerbocker in NYC...people moved TO Detroit simply to live at the Pasadena. Today, well, you'd be hard pressed to find any real signs of the glorious luxury of the past but, when I lived there in the early/mid 80's, there was one original tenant still in the most grand apartment I had ever seen. Her parents owned sugar cane plantations in Cuba and banks. This woman never married and stayed on in the family home until 1982 or so....her apartment was filled with all the 19th century treasures you can imagine. There was more Tiffany in that apartment than in Tiffany stores....

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 728
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good info Ha... but man that was one long as paragraph lol I kept loosing my place.:-D

Neilr

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kean (North Apt.)
Here's the floorplan of the apartment that Ha_asfan refered to in his first-hand post about life at the Kean.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.