Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Woman with suspicious water bottles Is former Michigan resident « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 601
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Salyers said she was eventually headed to Detroit"...to have lunch with Anna Diggs Taylor no doubt!

News bulletin
Woman with suspicious water bottles Is former Michigan resident

August 17, 2006

Email this Print this ASSOCIATED PRESS
A West Virginia airport terminal was evacuated Thursday after a female passenger’s water bottle twice tested positive for explosives, a Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman said.

Airport manager Larry Salyers said the bottles would be moved by robot to a remote area of the airport where officials would attempt to detonate them. National Guard and State Police explosive experts will conduct chemical field tests to determine what's inside them, he said.

Salyers said he was told the woman was 28-year-old native of Pakistan who had moved to Huntington, W. Va. from Jackson, Mich. He did not know how long she had lived in Huntington.

A screener noticed a bottle in a woman's carry-on bag as she prepared to board a flight to Charlotte, N.C., Booton said. Salyers said she was eventually headed to Detroit.

Security checkpoint screeners got a positive test on a machine that uses swabs to find traces of explosives, von Walter said. A bomb-sniffing dog also reacted to the water bottle.

“The bomb squad is on site and the woman is being interviewed by the FBI,” Amy von Walter said.

A screener noticed the bottle in a woman’s carryon bag as she prepared to board a flight to Charlotte, N.C., said Tri-State Airport authority President Jim Booton.
Commercial airline service was temporarily suspended, and about 100 passengers and airport employees were ordered to leave the terminal, Booton said.

At least one flight was diverted to Charleston’s Yeager Airport, about 60 miles away.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060817/NEWS99/ 60817030
Top of pageBottom of page

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 416
Posted From: 71.194.12.179
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I flew in/out of that airport last year. Very small community airport that services the hillbillies (we Michiganders can use that term) of KY, WV and OH. I only remember two or three people working security and I believe they worked part time. The airport only had a few flights a day so screening occured just before take offs........The positive test (and the lady's race) must have created quite a scene.

wow, just realized the suspect is from my home town..........she may get a free trip home with a lifetime of free rent. SMP

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.