Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Dangerous neighborhood's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.95.235.15
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not from Detroit and I'm just getting to know most of its neighborhoods. I heard about an area called Krainz Woods. Is that the most dangerous neighborhood in the city or is it somewhere else?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

somewhere is brightmore / the tireman neighborhood is easily the most dangerous... (far west side) i am not familiar with "Krainz"

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1289
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you're from Milwaukee and you ought to know. What was M'waukee's finest beer? At least from listening to their singing commercials a few thousand times on radio/TV...

A
N
S
W
E
R

"I'm from Milwaukee, and I ought to know.
"It's Blatz, Blatz, Blatz, Blatz, wherever you go.
"Blatz is the name you will always hear.
"Blatz is Milwaukee's finest beer."

-- Blatz Commercial Jingle
during The Amos n' Andy Show
Blatz Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2101
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stupid question. This will end in a major firestorm.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/23585/29973.html

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1290
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krainz

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 69.215.77.47
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangerous for whom?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.95.239.39
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any bad area's south of Michigan Avenue?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1080
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhhh... You might have to get a little more specific...

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3642
Posted From: 67.38.16.30
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Ohio!

Milwaukee

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 69.95.239.39
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant the area around Zug Island. Or along Fort street. Are these nice area's or are they poor and rundown?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 207
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dangerous for crack dealers... that's the standard i always use...

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I'm going to try to be serious for a second...

The area in Detroit called Delray is actually a very interesting drive. It's not dangerous, but I also wouldn't call it safe either. It all depends on what you want to do and what time you want to do it.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 825
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious...why? Writin' a book?

Milwaukee

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.95.232.152
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to get an idea about Detroit and it's area's. I would consider moving to Detroit when I get out of college, but I don't know a ton about it. So, I want to know if it's a liveable city.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 897
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to know if it's liveable, then ask if it's liveable.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, now I'm confused. Why didn't you just ask that outright? Why would you ask specifically about Zug Island? And why would you start out asking what area was the most dangerous instead of the nicest area to live?

Mw2gs

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So your definition of dangerous is "poor and rundown"? I understand now. Stereotypes are great.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2104
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all livable. There are people living in all the neighborhoods in Detroit. Is it up to your standards? I don't know you, so I don't know what your standards are.

Still a stupid question.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 826
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your last sentence made me laugh. I'm so sorry that our reputation in Milwaukee is such that one would question whether or not we are "liveable".

Do you want to live in a bad neighborhood? Shouldn't you be asking "where are the good neighborhoods"?!

Milwaukee

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.95.236.213
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, I'm sorry. I don't have a bad image of Detroit. I thought it was a good idea to hear about the bad before the good. I would rather hear the truth than all good and possibly not true things.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The newspaper and TV are full of the bad. You can get that by opening any Detroit news source. We're inundated with the bad. It overwhelms all the good many of us are trying to do.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 513
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pfft.

Mw2gs

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The truth about living in the city is that there is good and bad. In most areas the good outweighs the bad aspects but due to decades of deeply rooted hatred, racism, bigotry, and disinvestment you will primarily hear bad news from those who have the means to make news available. If you want the truth, choose a neighborhood, get out of your car, and talk to someone.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 71.144.116.97
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What constitutes "safe"? Are we talking feedom from street crime like hold ups and purse snatchings? Or are we talking burglary? home invasion? car theft? rape? murder? Probably all of the above.

Very few areas in any big city are totally safe and free from crime. When I lived in Lafayette Park, my wife and daughter were robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot of our apartment complex. I have friends in Rosedale and the University District who have been victimized by break-ins and hold ups more than once, despite the presence of a strong neighborhood watch group. My home in Southfield was burglarized twice and my car was vandalized while parked in my driveway.

Just last month, one of my neighbors was shot and wounded by some young punk home invaders. Some areas are "safer" than others, but crime is everywhere.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 536
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Milwaukee - you are in college and no one has ever corrected you on the difference between plurals and possessives? Every single time you wrote "area's" (possessive) when you meant "areas" (plural. Not to be smart-alecky, but I believe that in Detroit we pretty much know the difference and use them correctly - even though we pretty much live in "bad areas" according to the news in Milwaukee.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"tireman neighborhood is easily the most dangerous... (far west side) "

um where and what is this? Are we talkin warrendale? This area is pretty safe, especially south of warren ave.

Delray, i would not suggest it for a first time visit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2017
Posted From: 68.248.5.45
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People--let's just answer the Milwaukee's question; we can all be boosters of Detroit and still identify dangerous neighborhoods.

The neighborhood around Focus: Hope especially south of Davison, west of the Lodge has always struck me as scary. I would not walk Vernor or Charlevoix between Indian Village and Grosse Pointe, either. Very few nice stretches in there.

Andylinn mentioned Brightmoor. Now, I haven't seen all of it, but I spent one full day on Bentler/Chapel street for some service learning last April (you may remember that I gave a report back on a thread here telling you all about it) and my impression of Brightmoor was that it was POOR, POOR, POOR...but not neccesarily dangerous. It didn't seem like an inner-city ghetto, and with all of its emptiness, it seemed like a poor backwater area. I never felt unsafe--and I am always taking in my surroundings, but then again, I was stationed with about a dozen people and perhaps there is safety in numbers. The residents that I met were all very warm, too. As you go east towards Evergreen/Stoepel park, the neighborhoods become a bit nicer.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw we would answer it if it was a valid question. More dangerous campared to what? What constitutes danger for the poster. Detroit is much less dangerous than Beruit was last week. It is always way more dangerous than Disneyworld.

Is he alergic to peanuts? If he is, the local dairy queen could be more dangerous than a crack house to him.

There's no reference as to what dangerous means to him.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 969
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee, these are just the 3%ers and the 10%ers that follow the 3%ers so don't pay any attention to them. These are the incorrigibles on the DetroitYES Forums! They don’t even have control of their bladders so they are all just trying to exercise the only control they have in their lives which is to get people to say things the way they want them to say it on the Forums. Tell'em to fukk-off and just say it the way you want to say it. Better yet, don't say anything to them and ask the question the way you want to. Don't let the herd force you to say or do anything you don't want to do. Check out the assholes, not one of them has his/her email address listed in their posts to seriously help people nor have any of them said to you, "Here's my email address, write to me and I'll give you the inside scoop on Detroit neighborhoods." Give them something to do like go walk their dogs!

dog

Livedog2

Mw2gs

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or you can make bullshit assumptions and produce yet another mis-informed SE Michigan resident who believes in the Motor City Boogyman.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 69.95.232.178
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangerous means that there have been murders, rapes, and robberies in that area. I think that's pretty easy to understand.

Kova

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the USA is a dangerous place then

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he should try Canada?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, I think he just wants to know where he can see some good ghetto scenes. I know you're trying to prove a point, and I agree--crime is everywhere (there was a murder in Grosse Pointe), and parts of our city have way lower crime than areas of this state which are percieved as SAFER. We get a bad rap. Some crime is random, and you can't control it. Most of it isn't, I believe, so why live in fear? Nonetheless...I think Milwaukee might understand that Detroit being unsafe is overplayed, and I wanted to give him my opinion. Let's put it this way--not too many non-Detroiters are moving into the places I mentioned...the inflow is in "nice neighborhoods."

FYI, Mil, there are unsafe suburbs too--Warren, Inkster, Redford, Pontiac, hell you can probably be mugged or have your car stolen in much of Grosse Pointe, too. And Macomb county is full of angry white folk.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they have happened. They have happened everywhere. So once again more dangerous than what? how many do you consider dangerous, how few would you consider safe. If one a year is too much then there are no safe places in the US.

IF you really want statistics for an area, go to www.fbi.gov. the stats are there. Anything gathered here is strictly anecdotal evidence. The Bad Neighborhoods you would be told about here are all based on rumor and conjecture. My bad neighborhood would still not be your bad neighborhood.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4833
Posted From: 198.111.165.50
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are in Detroit that are very dangerous:

Brightmoor

Delray

C.O.R.E. also know as Zone 8.

Krainz Woods

Dexter and Davison area

The Former Polonia district

Dexter Park

Lodge Park

Fox Creek

Morningside

Springwells Village

Cass Corridor

Oakland St. area from The Highland Park border to E. Grand Blvd.

West Grand Blvd. and Warren Ave.

North Side of Michigan Ave. from Clark St. to Livernois Ave.

Plymouth Rock Community located on Plymouth Rd. from Greenfield to Southfield FWY.

Detroit Ghettohoods are used to be dangerous:

Oakwood Heights

the Lower SW side along S. Fort St. and S. Schaefer Rd.

Brush Park

The North side of John R and Brush area near I-94 FWY.

The South end of John R. and Brush area near I-75 area.

And Downtown Detroit

Kova

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remember cass corridor is dangerous, but midtown is not :-)

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 12.32.128.68
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where Detroit meets River Rougue?
Area north of the City Airport?
Stretches from Connor to Chalmers east of I-94?
Mt. Elliot near I-94?

Don't know too much about the west side, but I have been through some of these areas and I would probably not stay and hang if you catch my drift.

Danny

Post Number: 4834
Posted From: 198.111.165.50
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova,

Parts of the area are consider to be called " MIDTOWN" where the hip cool skinny white kids play is not dangerous. But the rest of the area is still dangerous.

Mw2gs

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangerous for whom?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer Woods, shit freaks me out everytime i roll down Woodward.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"FYI, Mil, there are unsafe suburbs too--Warren, Inkster, Redford, Pontiac, hell you can probably be mugged or have your car stolen in much of Grosse Pointe, too. And Macomb county is full of angry white folk."

Ok --- now go get a map and tell me how many of these cities border Detroit. Besides Pontiac, which is a dump....... all of them do. I'd leave my car parked with the keys in it in Bloomfield hills, but Detroit, nah....... I'd just as much throw them to the next guy walking by.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8714
Posted From: 70.54.69.58
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap, sadly Detroit's literacy rate is horrendous. I doubt many on here even knew what you posted about.

Scofield
Username: Scofield

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay yo butt in Milwaukee, you too damn stupid to be in Detroit. you might get jacked...

Tkshreve

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Input from Scofield.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, shut the hell up. Spend more than a few hours in Detroit and get a clue.

I normally hate scaring the new people, but good God!

BTW- Oakland county is dangerous too. You'll run into people like Tkshreve every two minutes.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8717
Posted From: 70.54.69.58
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TKshreve, couldn't that be said for all cities and suburbs?
Yes there are many areas in Detroit that are risky but your comparison is weak at best.

...edited for typo.

(Message edited by GOAT on August 17, 2006)

Tkshreve

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"BTW- Oakland county is dangerous too. You'll run into people like Tkshreve every two minutes."

Is that sarcasm, or just a dart in the dark as most of your posts have been.
[Ndavies, I think he just wants to know where he can see some good ghetto scenes]

I would venture to guess you don't even live in Detroit, much less accuse people of not living there.

My family and I have been part of this city for 70 years. I can tell a person that this is an unsafe city when compared to other cities, or when compared to my experiences, or when compared to my friends and families experiences, or when compared to what it once was and what it now is. The writing is on the wall...... literally.

Goat..... yes, there may have been more diplomatic analogies, but the fact remains, the further you get away from the city, the safer the streets. (besides pontiac --)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for my brash response...I was becoming pretty irritated with this entire forum at that time of the day (a lot of negative threads). Most here know that I tend to be more diplomatic. What I should have left it to is simply this: you generalize, and your last sentence of the post where you mention the car theft issue was just an exaggeration that I would expect to here from a child or adolescent. Let's think things out...let's look at facts: i.e. the study that shows that downtown Detroit is safer than most of the rest of the area.

Would you confirm for me that this area is not unlike most major metros in that "the further you get away from the city, the safer the streets?" Sure exurbia is safer than suburbia which is often safer than much of the inner city, but it is only by comparison; does exurbia being "safer" make the entire city "unsafe" such that you might as well hand your car keys over because the car will inevitably be stolen? Is exurbia not safer simply because the population density is so low and the type of people that live there are restricted by the high prices of buying a home and commutting out there?

Don't live in the city, but across

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 317
Posted From: 12.75.43.165
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago, I read that the worst area for drug-related crimes was the so called Red Zone around 7 Mile and I-75. Supposedly, there were more dope houses here than anywhere else in the city. Why here? Because the area is easily accessible to suburbanites-- just drive down I-75, get off at 7 Mile, buy your drugs, get back on the freeway, and return to your nice suburban home.

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 69.221.34.78
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please note that the majority of violent crime that occurs in Detroit and even it's suburbs are involved between people that know eachother. If you are involved with drugs, chances are that you're going to find "lots" of trouble. If you don't keep your doors locked while you are way, *trouble*!! That goes for just about any city.

Detroit is a big city and has some great neighborhoods with great people. It's just not as advertised thanks to our sour puss media.

If you are brand new to Detroit and want to give it a go, I recommend Hamtramck. Even though Hamtramck is it's own enity, you are stone throws away(by car:-)) from Midtown, Downtown, New Center, Corktown, Mexicantown, Eastern Market, ect. You would also be living in one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the region and you may even see a run away goat, LOL!!!!

Anyway, if you were to nest in Hamtamck a bit, you would have the oppurtunites to explore other areas in Detroit and find out what's best for you. It all boils down to what your comfortable with.

Anyway, getting back to the topic....dangerous neighborhoods in Detroit?? To my knowledge I would have to say:

-7 Mile/driving east from Mound Rd/I-75 area
-Tireman on the West Side
-Brightmoor (sad)
-Chene Street
-Van Dyke south of 7 Mile

Don't forget that it all comes down to how comfortable you are. If you don't feel safe in a certain neighborhood, "leave"!! During my Hamtramck years, I only ventured to where I knew where I was going. Never had a problem.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2030
Posted From: 69.221.36.81
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erichp your first paragraph is very well put.

Jenniferl, the same can be said for streets like Manistique and Ashland on the far east side, between Jefferson and Mack. This is the 'supply' for GP kids, and a couple GP police departments have taken the iniative of doing their own busts inside of Detroit.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the study that shows that downtown Detroit is safer than most of the rest of the area."

The rest of the area being ...... Detroit? That is a fair statement.

[{Would you confirm for me that this area is not unlike most major metros in that "the further you get away from the city, the safer the streets?" }]
Now considering the mention that any city is designed that the further you travel from downtown, the safer it is. I disagree. Consider Chicago for example. Downtown is a very safe place night and day. As you travel south, almost to the border with Indiana, you will see some of the more ghetto cities like South Chicago and Gary, Indiana. This is the ghetto for Chicago from what I understand.

I lived in Kalamazoo for three years and it too is not a "crime hole" where the north side is the area to stay away from, but downtown and all below the 94 business loop is a decent place to live and walk around ...... night and day.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1158
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary is not Chicago's ghetto.

Danny

Post Number: 4842
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Right, Gary IND. is compared from Detroit to Pontiac.

Daveg725
Username: Daveg725

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 66.84.209.156
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being that I'm from Detroit and live in Milwaukee now, I will say that Milwaukee is "safe" on one side of town--and "unsafe" or "dangerous" on the other (darker) side of town.

Now this city is very segregated--so much so, that I can say with 90% certainty that if the thread creator is white, then they live on the South Side or East side of town. If black--then they live on the North side (this is almost a given).

Now Milwaukee is smaller than Detroit and has crime basically ALL centralized on the North side. If you live on the North side--then You can move anywhere in Detroit and be fine--because that's a war zone...Detroit's neighborhoods are no worse than the North Side of Milwaukee.

If you live on the South Side--move to the suburbs. You'll likely be more comfy.

I hate to stereotype, but that's how it is here.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 69.152.250.195
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Houston, Texas and its segregated as well. The downtown area is experiencing mega growth, as our traffic is a nightmare. About 10 years ago when they built Enron field there was an unheard demand for housing inside the loop, especially to the west and mid town. Crime is not centralized to one certain area, as there are times when the wealthy western areas have experienced some, but not alot. Also, obviously being from the south, things tend to move a little slower, and that is one of many reasons why Houston is still segregated. I am looking forward to visiting Detroit in late Sept for this job. Also, will enjoy looking around and visiting landmarks in Detroit as well. Thanks Jane

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "further from the city the safer" statement is just a dumb generalization to try to make. Is 9 mile safer than 7 mile? Who cares? Is Conner and 94 safer than downtown? No its not, so that would prove the generalization wrong. You're spinning you're wheels if you want to prove this right in all cases. Suburbia as a whole is generally "safer" in terms of crime rate than urban areas as a whole in every metro, but does that make it a better place to live--hell no.

The study that showed that downtown is safer than a lot of this AREA refers to all of metro Detroit and Michigan, smartass. It is so often cited that you can find it on wikipedia.

Tkshreve

Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The study that showed that downtown is safer than a lot of this AREA refers to all of metro Detroit and Michigan, smartass."

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. My point is simple.......

Far out suburbs ---> New Haven, Walled Lake, Milford, etc. = SAFE
Closer Suburbs ----> Auburn Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Farmington, Harrison Twsp. = still safe
Border Suburbs ---> Inkster, Redford, Warren, Oak Park, River Rougue = So-So , Somewhat unsafe
Outer Detroit ---> Unsafe --
Inner City Detroit --> Downtown, Indian Village = Somewhat Safe (night and day make a difference)

Pretty Cut and Dry if you ask me. As you move away from the city, it becomes safer.

Two exceptions that come to mind are Grosse Pointe and Pontiac.

BTW -- GPers don't get drugs mainly from Ashland and Manistique. If you knew detroit well, you would know that anybody can go anywhere in the city and either be solicited or solicit anyone for drugs and probably be successful. It's how the city works. How's that for a generalization.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I limit the Detroit drug trade to Manistique and Ashland? Hell no. While I don't know drug trading too well, I do Detroit and Grosse Pointe well. And yes, GP youth procuring drugs and being subject to raids in the area mentioned has been documented.

Auburn Hills is a closer suburb? What have we come to? And all of outer Detroit is unsafe? What about Warrendale, Palmer Park, and East English Village? Car thefts from time to time? Sure...but does that endanger your health or well-being?

So of all those categories, which place do you consider the best place to live? It seems to me that there is less petty crime and property theft away from the city, but, since there are guns and angry people just about everywhere in this country, the real bad things like shootings happen just about anywhere. Why, just go up north and listen to the news. All I hear is about gun fights and drugs and pervs...in quaint little places far away from the big city.

(Message edited by mackinaw on August 18, 2006)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was shot at 8 Mile and Livernois. While just minding my own business too. 'Course that was in 1988.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is there Bullet proof glass in most stores in and around detroit, but yet when you go about 3-5 miles away from the city border you don't see that. Maybe a lot of people have guns everywhere around the country (pretty bland statement) but seems to me the small business owners in and around the city of detroit know something that you don't.

Really, you seem like a knowledgable person from my side of the city, but I can't sit back and agree that detroit is a safe city, on the rebound when it really is a good deal of time away from being what it desires to be. It may have its good parts, but IMO they are few and far between.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted the following on another thread, has relevance here too:
I see references to urban crime, burglaries etc. Gotta dial in. When I lived in Redford Twp. People taking things from the yard, porch and cars was a regularly annoying occurrence. A work friend who lived a block over had none of these problems. I figured out my misfortune was due to the home being on a corner lot, kids would walk by the house to and from school and get a good look at what we had. I now live in an east side suburb, I have no issues, although I see in the local paper that some neighbors have had problems, including bikes stolen from the porch, break ins where the perpetrator seems to know exactly to look for the jewelry and cash; makes me wonder if some people are entertaining individuals they shouldn’t be. I remember as a kid in Southfield, all the neighborhood’s crime was attributed to one of my so called friends. He would befriend you, come over scope out your parents house and break in while everyone was gone. I just thought I'd share that. Some of the messages start sounding like property crimes or crime in general is just a Detroit problem, not true. It's all about the three sides of the triangle diagram of crime. I know two sides were opportunity and desire. I can't recall what the third side was, but suffice it to say, if you remove any side of the triangle, you won't have crime. Also do you respect the neighborhood? Scotty Simpsons is a white owned and frequented restaurant has been in Brightmoor for fifty six years. There has never been a burglary or any other type of crime there ever! They are grateful for all their customer’s no matter where they are from and let them know it.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting post, Cambrian.

Tkshreve, I can respect the majority of your points since they seemed to be informed (since you live/have lived) in the city. But some of your statements seem to be motivated by frustration rather than clear-thinking.

Anyhow, the majority of Detroit isn't pretty. Every city often has expansive areas like this, and Detroit seems to have more than all the rest. It's sad. But you can't give up on the entire city or say that the entire city is hopeless on account of this.

I also take this into account: how much of "safety" is statistical, and how much is it frame of mind? If you simply rely on your senses to decide whether or not a neighborhood is safe, you may fool yourself. Some neighborhoods not far from me are laden with houses that look like they are out of architectural magazines, with perfect-looking families inside, yet everyone knows someone who's house has been broken into or who's car has been stolen. Yet there is something that makes living in this neighborhood worth it, despite "risks." (can't the same be said for the neighborhood that have held together in Detroit, with residents who really care?) If one isn't easily striken by fear, then you can go on living knowing that something bad might happen here or there, but overall, you have it pretty good. It's fear that drives our throwaway society, because suburban sprawl is driven by fear--the fear that crime or undesirable people or simply change may be encroaching on your domain-- which causes people to become malcontent with even the nicest of living conditions; and thus, sprawl--and the well known fact that people won't often stay in one place for too long--and led us to create ugly, car-dependant living arrangements, building our homes with such low quality that they are bound to crumble--but not until we move on to the next subdivision where we will be 'safe.'

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 24.192.148.150
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually for a long time New Haven was the ArmPit of Northern Macomb County.. IT is SLOWLY changing.. They have had alot of problems due to government housing projects and the closure of the foundry a few years ago...

Now as far as dangerous areas that is an interesting question.. As most have said it really does depend on the time of day.. I know that near Davidson is known for high crime.. Near the Masonic Temple gets rather interesting.. Though it's odd due to the low population but it's a interesting area.. I-75 and 8 Mile has always been a very interesting area as well.. Watch yourself at night.. Trust me on this..

Ironically near the 8 mile border tends to be a high crime area.. But if you look at the crime maps you can see where the areas of avoidance are.. Here's a link..

http://canada.blogosfere.it/fi les/detroit_crime_barometer_oc tober_2005.pdf#search=%22detro it%20crime%20maps%22

Now due to the interesting nature of the map.. It makes you wonder if Detroit Police have focused there efforts on these areas.. Because in most cases (not all) it is a select handful of people commiting the crimes..

Ironically this reminds me SO much of the US Terrorist policy in America.. Let me explain.. The US and Media have ASKED the Arab Community to report suspious activity and they HAVE! In greater numbers than ever before.. Why has the black community not done the same? I am mean honestly this maybe the Police ignoring the scenario or the people hiding the criminals... Hmm.. Interesting huh? I know that when Highland park outsourced to the Wayne County Sherifs crime went down BIG time.. So maybe it's corruption.. who knows.. One answer is NOT to fire the officers.. It's called relocation.. Change the police force among the 6 areas (that's the number right) every 6 month to year.. Shift them around.. WHY? Well people new to an area will notice things another person will not.. Thus this may lead to more arrests.. And those patrols that are not as predictable..

Yes alot of people will say well people in an area for a longer period of time get to know the community this is true to some extent.. But it appears traditional policing in Detroit is NOT working.. Therefore shifting people between areas will allow for better crime reporting.. Also shift detectives from one area to another every 2 - 3 years.. Allow them to work on other cases that are dead.. New eyes always help..

Will this work.. I can't say for sure.. But corporate businesses tend to try to enforce this policy to allow workers a new setting and a new perspective.. Maybe it can work in policing..

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Posted From: 69.215.244.78
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Erichp, my neighborhood is along 7 mile east of Mound rd. and I wouldn't call it dangerous, its a very quiet neighborhood, this area is just very accident prone. we had two destructive accidents with either property damage or injury. Otherwise, my neighborhood is very friendly and quiet and the people in my neighborhood keep their homes in tact. I live in the Von Stueben neighborhood in between /hoover and ?Schoenherr, between 7 and 8 mile. so be more specific when your outlining the danger zones erichp

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 23, 2006)

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 199
Posted From: 75.10.19.82
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1,

I am very sorry about my comment about your neighborhood. I was getting along a bit to well with Bacardi that night and got your location confused with another. I won't drink and type ever again!:-)

It just happens to be a coincidence that I drove around your neighborhood today as I navigated to Outer Drive.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 35.10.67.132
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it all depends on your personal definition of "safe." Safe for driving in the daytime? Safe for walking the streets at 8 p.m. in the summer? Winter? Safe for an elderly person walking down the street? Safe for sleeping at night in your home? Only an objective study of the crime statistics of a city can give you an unbiased idea- and then you have to base it on your own subjective preferences, i.e. how would you respond to any possible problem that may occur? There are many variables to this question.

Dtown1

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.212.172.155
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, everything is safe but the accidents and speed demons, however, their havent been any recently. Accidents, not speed demons.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 25, 2006)

Black_barbie
Username: Black_barbie

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Cambrian, Swiburn, Mw2gs

safe is based on your definition...what your comfortable with.

Do you prefer hate crimes to drugs?

Does graffiti or loitering scare you or does random serial killings?

Are you more concerned with burglaries, rape or sexual molestation stats?

Pick your poison, it's everywhere in the world...some areas are defined by one crime or the other...

I'm more comfortable in Detroit and I think its safer than Canton...then again that's me. My experiences in that city were horrible in the early 1990's.

This is the question for me: "Safe for whom?"

This is great advise: 'to eliminate the elements that are conducive to crime' (not verbatim) but there will be less chance of any crime if you do...

Another great statement is to pick the neighborhood you respect, it will save you alot of headaches, more importantly, it will save the people who already live there a headache too.

BB

Rustbelt
Username: Rustbelt

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.95.237.110
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read the whole conversation. For the love of God Milwaukee, you don't want to move to this dilapidated cesspool! I live in Allen Park but I used to live in Detroit. For your own good stay the hell away!

Cambrian

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny! What makes Allen Park so great!?! Must be that cool new strip mall they built over a smelly land fill.

Rustbelt

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said anything good about Allen Park. I just said that Detroit is a hellhole. If you would like to get into a debate about which is a better place to live with a family, I'd be glad to begin.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2068
Posted From: 69.221.33.103
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you say Detroit is a dilapidated cesspool, Rustbelt, then so is the entire region. We are a flat wasteland of giant roads, junk architecture, characterless neighborhoods, and industry. At least Detroit itself has a history and some things that you can't see anywhere else.

Endless, bland suburbia is probably the biggest turnoff when people go through this area...more than the city, because at least the city is often dilapidated, yet interesting and full of potential.

(Message edited by mackinaw on August 25, 2006)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustbelt, you got to go easier on Detroit. It has redeeming values and you should think of what it was or could be rather than what it is. Mackinaw couldn't have put it better.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangerous neighborhood...in good ole Sterling Heights. http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060825/METRO /608250379
I can hear the dinner-table discussions now: "told ya we should have moved to 21 mile, honey." "But the only reason we moved here was because it was safe."

I'm not trying to make an example out of S. Heights, because I have stated my case many times that even violent crime happens everywhere (nonetheless this is a scary spur-the-moment type of shooting)...but it will be interesting to see if more people move out of this "middle-ring" suburb-- usually on the list of safest but boringest towns-- because of an event like this.

Rustbelt

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.95.235.30
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst neighborhoods in Michigan are with out a doubt in Detroit. Flint and Pontiac give us good competition but Detroit will always be king as long as its still inhabited

Cambrian

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 68.41.154.161
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May be dangerous to you, but I ride my bicycle straight down Woodward, and straight back up John R to get home, no issues.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 677
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i ride through the cass corridor every day no issues

Dtown1

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 69.212.172.155
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, however, the crack heads usually dont come out until after dark in the cass corridor. Same Thing for Woodward. However, their all over Fort st. though, even in front of the post offce and the whinos.

Cambrian

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'd have to run pretty quick to catch me riding along, as fat as I am, I can still keep a nice clip going. I get hassled by pan handlers all time in Hazel Park and Royal Oak, (not twp either). Most of the time they're white too!

Rustbelt

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.95.237.243
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you ride your bicycle at night or during the day down Woodward? Would you be willing to take a bike ride along Fenkell Street or Telegraph road? How about a day time stroll through Brightmoor or Tireman? Gratiot and I-75 area?

Cambrian

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you mention Brightmoor. Last Fall I was driving my classic Ford Wagon down Fenkell to pick my kid up who lives in Redford. As soon as I pull off the sfld and start heading west, it was evening time; starting to get dark, my car konks out right in the middle of Fenkell at the light for the shopping center, won't start, battery is weak. I get out and start pushing my car along, enormous car too 5,000 lbs, a homeless looking dude comes over, I assume to ask for money, but no its to help me push my car, as well as a guy who was driving along in his old beat up pick up, these dudes help me push my car into the parking lot, I thank them both profusely, they both make positve comments on how nice my car is, and leave, no mention of money or nothing. Luckily my bike was in the back, I get it out ride west on five mile past all the hookers, johns and junkies, it's dark out by this time, no one pays me any mind, take my kid out for dinner, ride back a few hours later where my parents are waiting, as I called them to meet me with jumper cables. The car is fine. No busted windows, no missing hubcaps, nothing. Jump start the car, drive home. I'm a business casual looking white guy too, I don't look urban by any stretch of the imagination. So we can't say the neighborhood was intimidated by my looks or something. I've got lots of stories like that.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 64.7.187.44
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

milwaukee- you're going to write a book?
better bone up on the difference between its and it's-

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like your posts Cambrian...you speak from experience and I can sense the honesty. Danger, initiating fear, is percieved more often than it is actually present.

Cambrian

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right! Just because someone one lives in a bad neighborhood, does not mean they are bad people. Another good story from my local newspaper: 15 yo kid from Detroit comes into my suburb, stong arms some 12 yo local kid out of his bike and rides off. Bad news right? Well that's not the end of the story. That 15 yo's friends who live in his neighborhood hang back and tell the arriving police where to find this punk. The cops go to his mom's place and arrest him. These where good kids who did not care nothing about "YT's Ignorance".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.