Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Possible move to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.153.12.99
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to state that I have used these forums lately to get ideas or a feel of Detroit. There will be an opening in January of 2007 at my company that will involve a move to Detroit. The position is located in the city. I am using realtor.com and a few other sites for issues of price of housing, taxes, and issues of crime and safety. These forums are really well regulated as well as informative. Thanks for the posts, I do use them for the purpose of making my decision on possible moving to Detroit.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane: If you decide to take the job...WELCOME TO DETROIT!! We are a great bunch of folks and you won't be disappointed. Detroit is a great place to live and work!

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 369
Posted From: 68.60.139.30
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you decide to try living in Detroit. I think you'll find that some areas of the city still havn't bottomed out, while many others are on there way up. If you need an agent to help you find exactly what you're looking for, feel free to email me at eric@oconnordetroit.com

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4821
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELCOME TO DETROIT!! I HOPE YOU SUCCEED!

Janesback

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Chub
Thank you for the sincere reply. I have to say though I was some what blown away when it came to housing prices in Detroit. Needless to say, homes are absolutely beautiful , esp the tudors. I am living in Texas, lots of Spanish style and Southwest with high prices and high taxes that go hand in hand. I can truly say, I would get 3 times the amount of housing in Detroit than I could here in Houston. Some of these prices for homes in Houston are a joke . Also, the neighborhoods that were shown on the 360 degree panorama shots showed beautiful pristine trees, manicured lawns and fir trees. When you come from Texas, you aren't used to seeing Christmas/fir trees actually growing in the ground, lol. Houston has trees, but nothing like the trees up north. Thanks for the help, you never know you may be hearing from me :-) Take care.....Jane

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 371
Posted From: 68.60.139.30
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, we have plenty of living Christmas trees for your year round enjoyment! I think that will be my new selling point for Detroit. Hah haa...

Janesback

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chub, I'll bring a few cactus plants with me, how does that sound, lol. If there are areas in Detroit that are resurging or going thru a Rennasance (sp) that would be good for a potential investemnt/buyer, please feel free to post. I would like to find an area that is going thru somewhat a transition with good prices that will some day increase in value. Again, I am totally surprised about the amount of home you can get for the dollar, unless I am looking in the wrong area? :-) Jane

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2100
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback, if you are buying in the city of Detroit, the First question out of your mouth should be: "is this neighborhood going to be NEZ'd?"

All new construction in the city should be in a NEZ (Neighborhood enterprise zone). The NEZ's provide a large property tax discount. You couldn't afford a new house without it.

The city is just beginning to roll out the NEZ to existing non rehab homes.

Janesback

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies. Thanks. I live in Houston, unfortunately, they dont believe in zoning unless you are in River Oaks, or a separte town in the Houston proper, i.e, Bellaire, West University Place, etc. My property taxes on my home that is appraised at 204 K are running about 6, 500 per year. We don't have a state tax. My home would sell for 300 K, as it is located next to River Oaks, home to the rich and famous, i.e, Ken Lay, and other Texas oil millionares. My land value is what is the best selling point.I have a small 1400 s.f. house built in the 40's . Its a cute area , but sadly, they are taking houses down, to put up McMansions. Lol, they are now calling my cute area, "Vulgarira" I live in the inner loop, you dont have to get on a freeway to get downtown,which is another selling point of the house. Our traffic is like a page out of hell. Also, Houston in the 3rd largest city, and its building and increasing in size, about 4 million in the metro area. I am looking for a realtively safe area, I am single and female, so thats a factor. I will investigate the NEZ that you are refering to as well. Thanks for the heads up, Detroiters seem to be very helpful..... :-) Jane

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2102
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NEZ has nothing to do with Zoning ordinances. It is a way to correct a problem that was caused by property tax changes from the 1990's. These property tax rules have really hurt older cities in MI.

A 200K house bought in the city would have a similar tax rate as Houston without the NEZ. You also have the 4% state income tax, 6% state sales tax and 2.5% city income tax. A house in the neighboring suburbs would have about 1/2 the property tax burden and most suburbs have no city income tax.

I would recommend renting until you figure out where in the area you want to live. Detroit has some unique conditions that will greatly influence where you feel comfortable.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 941
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For $300,000, I'd set myself up with a nice condo overlooking the river. You should do the same.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 72.229.136.103
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have fun and enjoy the city. I unfortuneatly move from Detroit in 2004. Lived in New Center. Loved it. 313

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome! I have a lovely Tudor in East English Village I'm hoping to put on the market soon. There are a lot of other great houses in the neighborhood for sale now, and the prices are very reasonable.
Howdy y'all, I'm new here. To this forum, that is.

Janesback

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howdy Diehard
Thanks for that warm welcome, and the same back to you. I love the English tudors in the Sherman area, and Boston Edison . I have been doing a little research on areas, real estate , and locations. Lots of great deals. I hope this works out for me too........thanks, Jane

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, hopefully you will have a fair person 2 show you around what the city has 2 offer b4 your move. I agree with NDavies, if you are not ready 2 purchase a home, try renting so u can get a feel. And as a current volunteer for events in the city, I'll be more than happy to be your ambassador.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane and welcome,

I agree with everyone, and have to agree with Diehard that East English Village is probably a good choice, renting or buying. Houses are a bit smaller than in Boston Edison and Indian Village, and the area is very family friendly. One of the neighborhood owners bought the house next door to me to move his 90 something year old grandmother into. It just has that feel. :-)

I also agree about being shown around. My real estate agent took us from one side of this very large city to the other so we could really see the neighborhoods. Get a good buyers agent if you end up looking. I can recommend mine if you like.

Btw, I spent a few of my younger years in Alvin Texas. Went to Walt Disney Elementary when it first opened. That was a while ago. :-)

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback, please e-mail me at vdoucette at crain dot com. I have a publication I would like to share with you.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

janesback, if you are looking for an area with good value, safety, and good chance of being a wise financial investment, you might want to try: corktown, woodbridge, or midtown - these are all areas "on the rise" with trememdous investment in recent years and no sign of peaking anytime soon...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.