Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Noisy little bugs of late summer… « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 946
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, here it is the “dog days of summer” with fall directly in view on the horizon and the herald of this season is that noisy, little, bug eyed insect the Zacada that has invaded Gallagher St. on the Eastside! It’s a sound that goes all the way back to my earliest remembrances of late summer!!

zacada

zacada 2

Livedog2

Stephanie
Username: Stephanie

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.43.106.62
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean cicada. I love those ugly not-so-little critters. Takes me back to being a kid on the Eastside, too. The block of Sunset between Six Mile and Davison, and Garvin between Moenart and Fenelon.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1755
Posted From: 69.208.113.97
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The correct spelling is "cicada." The one in the picture you took is one of the most colorful I have ever seen. To see one is rare. Growing up, my friends and I would often see the shell of one left on the bark of a tree(they metamorphosize out of their old skin), but rarely would we see a "live" one. In my 43 years on this planet I have only seen a live one maybe two to three times.

(Message edited by royce on August 16, 2006)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2737
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a sparrow wrestling with one a few years ago. He tried carrying it with his beak, but the cicada was giving him a good fight; they were roughly the same size. The sparrow landed on my driveway, banged the cicada against the ground a few times to subdue it, then took off again. The cicada was so large that the sparrow had to get a running start to get off the ground, like fat duck on the surface of a lake.

Livedog2

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish my recorder was a digital recorder so I could post its sound because I recorded it.

Thanks, Royce!

I was baptized under the auspices of St. Augustine, Stephanie but the ceremony took place at Mother of Consolation Catholic Church.

No wonder my spell check didn’t pick-up “cicada” when I typed in “Zacada.”

Livedog2

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Newly hatched cicadas, called tenerals, are considered best for eating because their shells have not hardened. It is best to collect these in the very early hours of the morning, just after they have emerged but before they have time to climb up out reach. The best way to do this is to simply go outside with a brown paper bag and start scooping them in. You can cook with them immediately, or refrigerate them (they will remain alive but will mature much more slowly) or freeze them.

Keep in mind that freezing will work best for those that you are going to roast, as the consistency of the cicada may change and make them inappropriate for dishes that call for fresh cicadas. If you are unable to get any tenerals, then mature females are the next best thing. Adult males have very hollow abdomens and will not be much of a mouthful, but the females are filled with fat. Just be sure to remove all the hard parts, such as wings and legs, before you use the adults. These parts will not harm you, but they are also not very tasty.

Soft-Shelled Cicadas

Ingredients:

1 cup Worcestershire sauce

60 freshly emerged cicadas

4 eggs, beaten

3 cups flour

Salt and pepper to season the flour

1 cup corn oil or slightly salted butter

Directions:

Marinate cicadas alive in a sealed container in Worcestershire sauce for several hours. (Note: You can skip this step and go directly to the egg step instead.)

Dip them in the beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently sauté until they are golden brown.

Yield:

4 main dish servings

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 4.229.66.20
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever seen a cicada killer? It is a very large, fat flying insect, somewhat in the shape of a bee? I saw one on my deck last summer, it scared the hell out of me.

Livedog2

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the guy sitting at the camp fire in "Quest For Fire" snatching moths out of the air and eating them while spitting the wings out!

Livedog2

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1142
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And do they taste like chicken, Solarflare?

Stephanie
Username: Stephanie

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.43.106.62
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't everything?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solarflare, do you have any recipes for fried roaches? How about bumble bees?

Livedog2

Post Number: 963
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about chocolate covered ants!

Livedog2

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 68.41.116.2
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive, too have only seen 2 or 3 live ones in my whole life...im somewhat younger than the other person that posted about seeing them..I work on grosse ile and there are quite a few of those noisy lil buggers on the island..

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've see birds chasing them flying through the air many times sitting on my porch.

Also as a kid, I used to collect their skins when they shed them upon climbing out of the ground.

Also thought it was neat that they live underground for 7 years and above for a few months.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 519
Posted From: 69.209.171.172
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CICADA KILLER!

fda

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 198.109.26.19
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One flew in my dorm room last week. Scared the shit out of me.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 908
Posted From: 4.229.27.253
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a good shot of one that was chillin on the wall by my side door last year.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/2005/09/16/whats_that_sound.htm

And heres a vacated skin I found on the porch this year - even the eyes are hollow !

buggy

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, you guys have only seen them 2-3 times in your LIFETIME?!?

That's a shame...I have seen them 2-3 times A WEEK since I was a kid!!! (well, when in season, of course!)

Maybe they're more prevalent in Illinois than in Michigan...

Although I've only seen a cicada killer fly off with one 2-3 times in my life...after killing a cicada, the killer will climb something (tree, house, telephone pole) to gain some altitude, then take off, coming precariously close to the ground before gaining momentum into the air. I've also seen where they make the kill close to their in-hole home (burrow?) and they drag them in to feed them to the kids!

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 68.43.29.171
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...And isn't wonderful, right now, to have the windows open to hear their serenade all night? kind of like a lullabye.

[Stephanie, you grew up on Garvin between Moenart and Fenelon. I grew up on Moenart between Carpenter and Charles. Did you know that that stretch of Moenart doesn't appear on most maps? Only the stretch north of White School usually appears.]

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1249
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my cat brought one into the house from the porch last night, still buzzing in her mouth...scared the crap outta me. It was kinda fun to watch her and the other cats bat it around and kill it :D

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

woo these are annoying bugs...

its hard to locate one thats bothering you.

i've only seen one living one. bunch of shed skins tho.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 636
Posted From: 68.60.139.186
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe it or not, I had a cicada in my apartment this weekend. I live on the 8th floor, and although many of the windows are open, all have screens. How the hell did it get into my apartment? It was hiding in the chandelier and I only noticed because of the noise it made but then when I checked it out, I saw it up close, bright green and the size of a little bird.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.