Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Whitney.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 926
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the line on The Whitney -- food, service, ambiance, total experience? Is it worth the price?

Livedog2

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 814
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Whitney for the ambiance of the upstairs bar, for after-dinner drinks and desserts. They might even have a little jazz duo or trio for your enjoyment. Very nice historic and romantic spot.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 985
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've eaten at the Whitney several times - always great food, service, and a stunning setting!

However, Livedog2, they are real sticklers on misusing words: their/there, sale/sail, etc - so look out.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog--it's pricey, but worth it for a special occasion. The service is impeccable--they know exactly when you want more water, another drink, how to find out how you want your meal prepared, etc. before you think to ask. The ladies like the atmosphere. I can't think of a better "special occasion" date restaurant. Mrs. 56Packman and I had our wedding reception there, a small (64 guests) deal, but everything was absolutely fine. If you want to sample the Whit without doing the whole dinner thing, try the Sunday brunch. Fantastic four-course sit-down meal(not a Holiday Inn buffet), around $25/person.

(Message edited by 56packman on August 15, 2006)

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 65.123.68.93
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever do the "garden party" thing on thursdays? Is it worth checking out?

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there on a Thursday night in June. I got there after the garden party was over with the intention of having a couple drinks and dessert with my visiting from out of town in-laws. Big mistake. Don't go there on garden party day if you are looking for a "special occasion" type of atmosphere. The crowd was not your typical Whitney crowd. The service was also horrible. I overheard the bartender say that she hated dealing with the Garden Party crowd and that may have been the reason.

Designut

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that, it makes sense though - the garden party is sponsored by 89-X. I'd be mad too if I went there looking to enjoy the regular quiet atmosphere of the place. Just wondering if anyone has been to the garden party itself...

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been to the garden party once. apparently a lot of coporate groups reserve spaces, so once you get there, most all of the tables are full. the one time i went there were a TON of people there. food is included in the price, although it is more bbq fare and not really food from the whitney, and was pretty much all gone and picked over by the time i got there. it was kinda fun, i guess. i would like to give it another chance. i know some people who absolutely love going there, though.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 159.53.110.143
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gone to many a Garden Party at the Whitney and I contend that it's a classy yet affordable way to spend a Thursday evening in the summertime. $10 cover with food included (not the normal Whitney menu fare - as mentioned - but quality nonetheless). As mentioned, it is sponsored by 89X, so expect a young to moderately aged crowd - although very diverse and good for people watching. There is normally a live local band (band schedule listed on Whitney site). I've had the fortune to catch some good acts there back in the day - like Blanche before they made it relatively big, etc. There are also two cash bars - one serving beer/wine, booze at the other. I would recommend getting there early - so you can grab a seat and get the best dibs on the food - because once it's gone, it's gone. They run from 5-9 pm, and attire ranges from "hipster" to "suit."

The restaurant itself is great. I think everyone on here covered it pretty well. The bar upstairs again, is also a nice piece of atmosphere with occasional live jazz etc.

56packman - thanks for mentioning the Sunday brunch. I've always wanted to try it - but it's hard to get away from those bottomless mimosas at LDV. :-)

Livedog2

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Bobj. I can't wait to get their!

Livedog2

Designut

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulc, thanks for the garden party tips/advice. I think I'll try it before the summer's end.

also- I gotta say that when visiting the restaurant, another really nice perk is the brief history/building facts that you usually receive with your menu. The number of fireplaces alone is enough to make your jaw drop.
(Once your jaw drops, you can stuff it with a good steak, then close your jaw again) :-)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 720
Posted From: 70.248.187.163
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Garden parties rock! Expect to be crowded. If you don't like crowds... don't go.

Dinner is great, but I agree with Gamblingman that my favorite part is ending a fine downtown evening with cocktails, coffee and dessert in the top floor bar/cafe. LOVE it and worth every penny.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 24.145.154.7
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had my wedding rehearsal dinner reception there. Always outstanding. They made a change couple yrs ago, adding prime steaks and meat to the menu. Before they had less emphasis on "steakhouse fare."

My favorite room is the library. Try to avoid the "pink room." It is a little too much pink for the eye to take.

The mens room used to be like an old state room. That is with a a parlor room outside the actual room with the toilets and urinals. In this outer room you had tables and nice pay phone. I used to sell medical @ DMC and this was my "field office."

The Whitney is always a class act.

Livedog2

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know who the owner of The Whitney is and what his/her background is?

Livedog2

56packman

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Whitney building is owned by real estate developer Richard Kughn, who saved the building from imminent demolition in 1979. He used the building as his office until 1985, when he partnered with John McCarthy/Ron Fox, who at the time operated the VanDyke place restaurant. After a huge restoration the Whitney opened in 1986, and has been a top-rated Michigan restaurant since that time.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 694
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 1920s it was the Visiting Nurse Association bldg. Several bands based at the Graystone were photographed in front of the Whitney.

56packman

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick bought the house from the Visiting Nurse's association.

(Message edited by 56packman on August 16, 2006)

Livedog2

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is an amazing record, 56packman!

Even the finest restaurants are lucky if they last 10 years and this one has been around for 20 years. Wow!!! And, thank G-d for "Richard Kughn, who saved the building from imminent demolition in 1979."

Whenever I drive around the city, especially on the Eastside I am saddened by the loss of so many historical structures in the city of Detroit. Even a podunk city like Fort Wayne, Indiana has saved more of their historical buildings and houses than we have in Detroit. It's just beyond sad to me the loss of so much of the heart and soul of my beloved Detroit, the city of my birth and childhood!

Livedog2

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2644
Posted From: 4.229.90.40
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, unfortunately a large chunk of the historic houses in Detroit were lost in the 1900-30 era, when the historic homes along Woodward, Bagley, Cass, John R, Brush, Beaubien, etc., were torn down for commercial development.

Had Detroit not boomed in the first 3 decades of the 20th century, we possibly would still have them around, but Detroit would have been a much smaller city.

Livedog2

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I guess it was what it was; and, it is what it is. But, it is still a loss to me.

Livedog2

Artstar
Username: Artstar

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 69.246.45.141
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya the Garden Party looks like an eclectic group of people ... and not the good kind. I had dinner there foe Valentine's Day I thought it was very good, and so beautiful, I would say a little overpriced but I don't mind giving money to such an historic place.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1360
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most agree that you are paying for the ambiance, but a trip to the Whitney is worth it.Fine food, fine service, fine just about all you could want.
The owners used to have another spot---almost as elegant, and maybe some say even more so. I refer to VanDyke Place, right off E. Jefferson , just a few yards up VanDyke, and turn left into the courtyard.
A beautifully restored Detroit mansion, full of fine paintings,fine tapestries, fine dining--certainly a night to remember for that special occasion.
I guess it was just too much to keep both places going. I don't think Van Dyke Place has ever reopened.

Livedog2

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the "restored Detroit mansion" that housed the VanDyke Place still standing?

Livedog2

56packman

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I just drove by there Monday after a work-sponsored boondoggle to Pewabic pottery.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.