Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Jeffersonian Apartments « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 35.8.144.6
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know anything about them? I'm considering moving there. I'm not sure how accurate the reviews are on the sites that rate apartments, so I figured if anyone knew, it would be here. Thanks in advance.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1992
Posted From: 70.237.10.225
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got a damn good location and view, but that's all I know. I'm sure someone on here has lived there.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 843
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there for a year and a half in the mid nineties.

FAB views of downtown detroit, however I moved because it was mainly older retirees...some infirmed and wheelchair bound. Not cool when you're 22.

Before his death, Doug McIntosh told me they were turning them into condos...that his firm had done some preliminary work. I was thrilled to hear this...especially about the neon name "Jeffersonian" going in on the HVAC unit at top. Sounded cool. Sadly, Doug passed away a few weeks later.

Not sure what's going on now.

What kind of place are you looking for?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6601
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I visit my friend who lives there I'm always impressed with the immaculate grounds and public areas and the courteous staff at the visitor's check-in and lobby.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 35.8.144.6
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Quinn, I'm 22 and moving from Lansing (been spliting my time between work in detroit and school in EL). Going to be married next June. Young, energetic, love to work/play/live in Detroit. Basically, anything is an option for me right now, obviously price pending.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erma Henderson has lived in the Jeffersonian for many years in a double unit which overlooks the park that was renamed in her honor. For many years she was president of city council. At this stage in her life, she is infirm and no longer can see. She still gets out for civic events. She was at the mayor's inauguration and I bet she'll be at her pal Maryann Mahaffey's memorial service.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 66.174.93.103
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there in 99-00. I was in a corner unit facing the River and Downtown. Absolutely beautiful view. The sunset in the evening, fireworks, boatraces. Can't beat it.

The staff were always courteous and professional. Grounds were kept up very well.

The biggest downside for me was the extremely long walk from the parking garage to my unit. That alone took about 10 minutes, including waiting for an elevator. They do have a valet service, but I don't know how much it costs.

I would highly recommend it.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a movie filmed there about 1981 or so. It was "The Betsy", with Laurence Olivier and Leslie Ann Downs. The sequence filmed at the Jeffersonian was on about the 8th floor, and it included a scene of a guy (was really a dummy) tossed out the window. Window was on the river side.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar is the rent really cheap there?

If you're going to stay for only a year (and the rent is cheap)...go for it. You'll enjoy the views...just make sure you get a unit on the city side.

One thing I remember that was totally awesome...during the two summers I was there I witessed drug raids on the marina next door. The DPD helicopters would hover over AT OUR LEVEL...pretty awesome looking straight across from the 22nd floor to a hovering helicopter.

Ditto on the long walk from the garage...it was irritating especially with groceries.

I've got photos of the apartment and its views somewhere in the basement...I'll have a look, scan then post.

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 68.42.169.74
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are rates like at the jeffersonian right now? i'm living in the lafayette towers until december, and i really think i'd like a place with a balcony to go study on. i'm paying 492 for a studio on the 17th floor here, and it's pretty spacious. i might consider moving up to a 1br possibly, if it's priced similarly.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 24.11.168.99
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got an appt set up for wednesday to check out an available unit, and talk about prices. They told me over the phone that they can be very flexible with a 1 bedroom lease...and I will surely look to take advantage of this.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.