Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Required Documents to Cross Border « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 69.245.95.200
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am wondering what documents are required at the Ambassador bridge for crossing out-of and back into the U.S.? How are they best presented; have them out or wait for the official to ask?

Last year I crossed at the Sault St. Marie crossing with only a Michigan driver's liscense (the Canadian official didn't even look at it).

Thank You!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5765
Posted From: 24.57.57.12
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have proof of citizenship. A drivers license doesn't prove shit.

A birth certificate along with you D/L is good. A passport is NOT required, but I have found is the best.

Remeber that your hassle will likely not be with Canada, but with the USA.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on our crossings at the Tunnel, we used to present our passports, but now that they have expired we always have our photo IDs (drivers license) plus our birth certificates in the drivers hands as we pull up to the booth. They will tell you if they want to see it, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 317
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to Windsor perhaps 4-5 times a month. We always go over on the bridge and return through the tunnel. Always with passport in hand. A birth certificate , with picture ID, would do as well. Sometimes we are asked for our proof of citizenship, sometimes not. More often, when returning to this country than when entering Canada. A driver's license or voter ID will not do. When that was all I carried, the result would sometimes be a lecture from the border guard. It wasn't worth the hassle.

As a side note, the reason that I take the bridge over is that it's possible to see from I75 if the car lane is jammed up. (You can disregard the truck traffic. It has its own lanes.) If we see that the car lanes are jammed, we then just proceed to Plan B which is dinner in Detroit on the west side.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used my expired passport for over a year and it's never been questioned. I finally got around to renewing it (which was a big hassle); but I still use the old one for crossings to Windsor. If I were going any further out of the country, I'd certainly take my new passport.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2310
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I travel on airplanes or cross an international border, I take my passport; it is a sure-fire hassle reducer.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the new regulations coming into effect in the new year, you just gotta get a passport. Have it and a photo ID (drivers license) ready to go. I cross the border fairly often in a commercial vehicle and have them both tucked into my visor where the guard can see them, and ready to hand over immediately. If I were in my car I would fork over the passport/DL without even being asked.

The guards are just doing their jobs; a little effort to make it easier for them never hurts.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 464
Posted From: 142.162.37.41
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The US regulations requiring a passport for entering the US at a land border crossing do not come into effect until January 1, 2008.

Until that time, and subject to any legislative or policy changes, a valid passport is not required. Expired US passports are good at the US/Canada border because they provide proof of identity and citizenship regardless of the fact the document cannot be used for travel to other countries.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8706
Posted From: 70.54.69.58
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By then the USA and Canada will have a different ID card but come Jan.1/07 if you enter the USA by air or sea you MUST have a passport.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.