Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Sheila Cockrel spouts off « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before resuming her summer recess after yesterday's 8-0 override of 2 mayoral vetoes [ see http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060811/NEW S01/608110455/1003/NEWS01 . . . OR . . . http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060811/M ETRO/608110378/1003 ], Councilwoman Cockrel had a few things to get off her . . .

. . . uh, I better just say to get off her mind, rather than any lower region.

Anyhow, here's the full text of a rambling statement that:
* Praises the mayor for having "shown real leadership" before slapping him for "an ill-advised and unnecessary veto."
* Tries to 'splain why she now opposes something she supported last year.
* Jabs sharply at JoAnn Watson.

That said, I have no idea what she's ranting about at the end.

DETROIT CITY COUNCIL
Sheila Cockrel, Councilwoman

STATEMENT RE: OVER-RIDE OF MAYORAL VETO OF PORT RELATED RESOLUTIONS

I have voted YES to over-ride the Mayoral veto of the two resolutions re: the Port Authority “Springing Interest Agreement” and the role of the Deputy Mayor in the signing of official documents.

First, the need to develop the City of Detroit Port cannot be underestimated. For many years, efforts to revitalize the Port have limped along without necessary resources from the City or County. A stronger commitment is necessary to take a dormant major regional economic development asset and make it a vital force in the state’s transportation system.

Second, the Kilpatrick administration has shown real leadership in understanding the significance of Port development in diversifying this City’s economic base.

Third, I voted for the assignment in the [sic] May 2005 because I believed that it was vital to the City’s long-term interest to keep public control of the Nicholson terminal and bring into the Port a mix of public and private participants who could speed up the redevelopment of our port.

Fourth, it is unfortunate that subsequent to the Mayor’s ill-advised and unnecessary veto, a barrage of misinformation has been generated in the Community that has confused the issue of Port development with Riverfront development. The Riverfront has not been "turned over to Mr. Matty Moroun. It is preposterous on its face to make such an assertion. It is disingenuous and only helps those whose agenda is to keep our Port non-competitive with the City of Windsor, Port Huron and other down river interests. I am not clear what the Mayors [sic] reason are [sic] for his veto. They were not articulated in his veto message. I am curious as to why the Mayor would veto a Council action that is consistent with the advice of the City’s Corporation Council.

Fifth, it is equally unfortunate that members of this Council have once again chosen to use misinformation to achieve their political agendas by urging people to call certain members of offices and “threaten” members about their vote on this override or the signing the call for a Special Session. Let me make myself crystal clear. This Council is on recess. I was not available to sign for a Special Session. I do not believe that any Council member should allow a staff member to sign their name for a Special Session or that any Council member should sign for a Special Session BEFORE the date and time have been determined. I did not sign for this Session because I was NOT able to provide my signature and there was NO date and time provided by the document that had the signatures of President Cockrel and Ms. Watson. It is not necessary for Ms. Watson to instruct her supporters to call me and threaten recall if I don’t vote to over-ride. I will follow my conscience and do what I know to be the appropriate legal action that conforms to the City Charter, the City Code and the laws of the state of Michigan. Furthermore, I will vote for what I believe to be the best public policy that serves the interests of the people of this City.

Finally, I wish to see a thorough review of the "Springing Interest Agreement" in September. This analysis should include the harmonizing of the May 6, 2005 Council resolution with the Master Concession Agreement, any actions by the Port of Detroit Corporation and the Springing Interest Agreement. This evaluation should take place prior to any consideration of any version of a "Springing Interest" agreement by this City Council.

It is for the above-mentioned reasons I have voted to override the Mayor’s vetoes.
Dated August 10, 2006

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

* Jabs sharply at JoAnn Watson.

I for one am glad she shouted at this angry racist b***h.

As far as the port, the city needs to find a creative way to update it and put it to better use. Otherwise we loose out to other port cities when manufacturing companies are looking to locate or expaned.

Detroit's terminal used to be one of the leading in the nation, now its a shell of its former self. I know that the loss of factories has comtributed greatly, but Cleveland has been proactive with finding more useage for their port.

Its time to quit screwing around and turn it over to the private sector, although I would recomend put it up for bid. Don't just hand the keys to old Matty.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2621
Posted From: 4.229.105.118
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we don't know the "whole picture" that preceded these statements, its not possible to make a valid assesment of whether this is a rant, political posturing, or whatever...

Realitycheck... don't know why you don't like her... she's one of the smarter ones on council. And here-here for giving a bitch-slap to Watson, who puts the "clown" into Danny's term "City Clownsil".

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2392
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joann Watson is not racist...she just sticks up for black people where others do not.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, she just sticks up for whats good for her, citizens be damned. Also likes to play the race card where it don't exist which is harmful for cases where it clearly is. Ever her of the boy who cried wolf?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 568
Posted From: 67.38.16.19
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you name an example of Sheila Cockrel playing the race card? I don't recall any. I do recall that despite having by far the most extensive civil rights experience and background of anyone on the City Council, she has been the target of racially tinged criticism from certain parts of the community. E.g., the Community Coalition when she sided with the Archer administration in certain budget negotiations that adversely affected union jobs.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking about Joann Watson. SHE is the one who plays the race card.

Sheila takes much heat because she is a white woman on city councial. There is much racism on the CLOWN Council. I'm sure Ras and his boyz will disagree with me, but I would stack her civil rights achivements against Joann or Barbara Rose any day.

How many of them married someone of a different color???

I'm sure all the RACIST A@#*HOLES will disagree with me but that only prove that they are scared to face the facts that In the next 20 years, race will a non-existant factor when it comes to political office.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.