Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Tourist info « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 65.92.153.137
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if any of you Detroit dudes could give me any insider info on whats going on in Detroit on Aug 15 and 16. I am planning on being in Detroit and Windsor those two days. The only issue is that this time I will not have access to a car. So I have to rely on public transit this time.

So if you guys have any insider tips that would be great. Do you guys know anything about bus tours around the city?

I am pretty familar with Detroit, but if you can reccomend anything or know of any good tours on those days, or music or theatre events, etc, that would be great.

Also anyone know if you can get to Greenfield Village by transit. I heard the Michigan Ave bus goes up there, but can you rely on it?

Also does anyone know if I can rely on public transit to get up to Royal Oak or something? I want to have dinner with my cousin who lives in Metro Detroit, but she already told me she won't come downtown, so I will have to meet her somewhere in the burbs(unless I can convince her to pick me up downtown, which I don't think will happen)

Any info would be great.

(Message edited by miketoronto on August 09, 2006)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3569
Posted From: 68.21.37.77
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also anyone know if you can get to Greenfield Village by transit. I heard the Michigan Ave bus goes up there, but can you rely on it?

Michigan Ave (Either Ddot #37 or SMART #125) to Fairlane Center. Transfer to Ford Road #250 eastbound to Greenfield Village. #250 runs about once an hour.

www.smartbus.org

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 71.159.22.4
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should check out Detroit Beer Co.’s Real Ale Wednesday and the Sox/Tigs game...

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART Bus routes 445 and 475 will go on Woodward Ave from downtown all the way up to Royal Oak (around 11 Mile Rd or so).

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the 440,450,460 all go through downtown RO from woodward to the transit center on washington.I will check the metro times and monitor to see what is uo in the D for the weekend.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3570
Posted From: 68.21.37.77
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're better off with the SMART 450-460 lines.
460 takes you to the RO Transit Center in Downtown RO, 450 stays on Woodward.

Also more runs.

93typhoon
Username: 93typhoon

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 192.85.50.2
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woodward cruise is on the 19th - which means woodward will be busy and fun all week. Find a spot in ferndale and enjoy the cruise

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1492
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For dinner with your cousin, try Woodward Avenue Brewery on Woodward Ave. just south of 9 Mile (http://detroit.citysearch.com/ profile/5233294/ferndale_mi/wo odward_avenue_brewery.html). I've been there a number of times with friends and out-of-town guests; never had a bad experience. They have outdoor and indoor seating. And if they are packed, there are a number of other restaurants within a 4-block radius. You'd be able to take the Woodward bus to and from, and she wouldn't have to drive downtown.

On Tuesday evening, August 15, there is a Preservation Wayne walking tour of Downtown Restaurants and Bars: http://www.preservationwayne.o rg/tours_downtown5.php

Renaissance Center tours are scheduled every day: http://www.property-website.co m/sites/82/live/upload/files/t our_rencen.pdf

Check out the Guardian Building, Campus Martius, and Compuware Headquarters, all walkable sites downtown. Campus Martius has entertainment during the 11:30-1:30 lunch hour daily, and some evening entertainment as well: http://www.campusmartiuspark.o rg/

Have a good time in Detroit!!

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If u like Jazz cliff Bells is alot of fun at night.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.