Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Anyone going to see Bob Dylan Saturday night? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 4.229.153.169
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I decided to skip going to Comstock Park and I am glad I did. Today I heard talk that Dylan is coming to Detroit in the fall. :-)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4737
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where, I would like to see him with his folk voice.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 853
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a lot of people would just like to understand what the hell he is singing. His voice has been shot for years.
He mumbles incoherently and sounds terrible.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 153.90.110.121
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw him at Cobo Hall back in 2000( maybe 2001). He was awesome. Slightly incoherent, but awesome.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4779
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

40 years ago, Bob Dylan's folk career almost came into a end while he been injured in a car accident. He recover later but he's a wee bit disabled for a while but he can still sing.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw him at the MI State Fair years ago. I couldn't understand what he was singing and I didn't know any of the songs. Total disappointment.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4234
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba was born May 24, 1941, same as Dylan. We are both Jews.

jjaba loves his records so he finaly saw Dylan about 2000 and was totaly disappointed. You could not understand anything, including Blowing in the Wind, his anthem as an encore.

What a total waste of time and money. It was inspiring to see young folks in the crowd swooning the whole night. He still sells records. His choices of songs are many new ones which makes it even more complicated to understand. His band is almost heavy metal with the electric guitars, also unpleasant. He is skinny as a rail and gaunt.

He's better on tv and recordings.

jjaba, The Answer My Friends is Blowing in the Wind.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 5012
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll go if he's in Detroit this fall, but I decided to pass on Comstock tonight. It's just too much money right now, and the gas prices are really making me rethink how much driving I'm doing in the Grand Marquis these days.

I'm also not crazy about seeing Bob share a bill with a bunch of people again. Don't feel like sitting through someone I'm not interested in so I can hear half a Bob set. I've seen Dylan 9 times in the past 4 years, including all 3 shows at the State in '04, I think I can pass this time.

(Message edited by the_aram on August 12, 2006)

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 890
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a motorcycle accident!

I'm not much of a Bob Dylan singing fan but he's got courage. He was down in the deep south back in the early 1960's singing civil rights and protests songs to those poor blacks working in the cotton fields when those rednecks were hanging people for less!

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 4237
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No question about who Bob Dylan is. Tis just a matter of personal taste listening to him in person. Livedog2 tells it like it tis about Bobby Zimmerman of Hibbing, Minn.

Did The Aram understand his words? What's your technique?

jjaba.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 891
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, One of the best interviews I ever saw anytime, anyplace was with Bob Dylan on 60 Minutes. The interviewer kept trying to say how important Dylan was and Dylan kept saying, "I don't get it about why people think I'm some kind of messiah. I think they just don't trust themselves and want to have somebody to follow instead of their own self. I'm just an ordinary guy." The truth came right through the tube for all to hear if they were hearing along with listening!

Livedog2

The_aram

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Jjaba's senior ears may have failed him at the loud rock concert. I've never had a problem hearing what Bob's saying, in person or in live bootleg recordings. His vocal stylings are not as bad as advertised.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 353
Posted From: 4.229.72.30
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba- check out that recent Dylan documentary No Direction Home, lots of cool old footage as well as recent interviews. I think it is out on DVD now.

The_aram

Post Number: 5016
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

set list from Comstock last night is as follows:

Comstock Park, Michigan
Fifth Third Ballpark
August 12, 2006

1. Maggie's Farm
2. The Times They Are A-Changin'
3. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
6. Just Like A Woman
7. Cold Irons Bound
8. Shelter From The Storm
9. Masters Of War
10. Highway 61 Revisited
11. Sugar Baby
12. Summer Days

(encore)
13. Like A Rolling Stone
14. All Along The Watchtower

Nothing special. Glad I didn't dump the cash on it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4245
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good song list. jjaba could handle those.

jjaba did see the Martin Scorcese documentary and has the tape. He saw the two-part program on PBS a time back. Very excellent.

jjaba.

Qweek

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 4.229.30.120
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admire Bob Dylan. He is the hardest working man in show business and he does what ever he wants. I think he is a poet first and a musician second and it doesn't really matter if the tune is recognizable to you or not the words are still the same. He tours perpetually, he is seasoned, withered, old and grey but I love him anyway.

Seen a shooting star tonight
And I thought of you.
You were trying to break into another world
A world I never knew.
I always kind of wondered
If you ever made it through.
And I thought of you.

And I thought of me.
If I was still the same
If I ever became what you wanted me to be
Did I miss the mark or
Over-step the line
That only you could see?
And I thought of me.

Listen to the engine, listen to the bell
As the last fire truck from hell
Goes rolling by, all good people are praying,
It's the last temptation
The last account
The last time you might hear the sermon on the mount,
The last radio is playing.

Slip Away.
Tomorrow will be another day.
Guess it's too late to say the things to you
That you needed to hear me say.
Slip away.

Bob Dylan
Shooting Star

Qweek

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 4.229.30.120
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and about the technique of listening to Bob live, wager on who will figure out what song he's singing first, even the most avid Dylan fans have trouble.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4250
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ain't that the truth.
jjaba.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 639
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or the style of music he is going to play

The_aram

Post Number: 5017
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh, and about the technique of listening to Bob live, wager on who will figure out what song he's singing first, even the most avid Dylan fans have trouble.

I can usually figure it out before Bob sings a note. If not, it only takes me a couple words. Then again, I listen to literally thousands of hours of Bob bootlegs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.