Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Speakeasies « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking recently with my neighbor who does demolition work, and he mentioned that while doing a preliminary walk-through in a building on my street, he discovered the remains of, what he believes, was once a speakeasy in the basement.

That sparked my curiosity. I found there were as many as 25,000 speakeasies in the Detroit area so, logically, a considerable number must still remain, in one form or another. So, what has become of them? I did some research on the subject, but mostly found broader information about Detroit's role in prohibition as a whole.

http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=181&category=life

Quote: (in reference to Detroit)
"People drank everywhere, from speakeasies to private clubs to established restaurants to storefronts"

So, where are these places and what are they now? I'm aware of a few of the more well- documented sites, but I'm not really satisfied with what I found. Anyone know of any buildings, still in existance, that once served this purpose? Buildings we still use, or pass by regularly?

Also, since that conversation, I visited Chicago and took an archetecture tour downtown. One of the buildings featured on the tour was 35 East Wacker Drive. I was told that the dome on top housed a speakeasy run by Al Capone during prohibition, maybe they just say that to tourists... It made me wonder though, did Detroit ever have some "high-profile" equivelant in the broderick/ penobscot/ guardian/ book...etc.? I was told by a D.A.C. member, long ago, that the building (DAC) had its own hidden cellar for booze during prohibition...so... maybe.

I know these stories should be taken with a grain of salt, but I would be very interested to hear any of your thoughts, stories, tales, myths, urban legends, facts, exaggerations or downright-lies regarding the subject.

Drop your Illegal-Detroit-Booze-Drinkin' knowledge here-

(Message edited by designut on August 09, 2006)

Swpablo
Username: Swpablo

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 68.255.243.74
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 93-94 i rented a flat at the NW corner of 51st and St. Stephen that had a tunnel from the basement to the garage. It was one of those neighborhood houses that had a storefront and at the time was a beauty shop. The garage has been torn down since i moved. If that place wasnt a speakeasy they were doing something!

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 869
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Detroit/Windsor Prohibition tour. Can't remember any other info about it. Also, the basement of Cliff Bells served as a speakeasy from what I heard.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 380
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is what I got from

BuildingsOfDetroit.COM > Places > Cliff Bell's
------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Cliff Bell's
2030 Park Avenue, Detroit
------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

Style(s): Art Deco Architect : Albert Kahn, Charles N. Agree
Owner: Jerry Belanger Architectural Firm: Albert Kahn Associates, Inc., Charles N. Agree Inc.

The elegant interior of Cliff Bell's
Cliff Bell opened an art-deco themed bar designed by Charles N. Agree in 1935 in two storefronts of a building located at Park Ave. and Elizabeth St. The building was designed in 1924 by Albert Kahn for the A.M. Campau Realty Company. He had opened the bar after operating a successful speakeasy in the basement of the building during prohibition.

The original space was later expended further into the south storefront. The elaborate 4,500 square-foot establishment featured lush decor, barrel ceilings, oil paintings, fancy showgirls, a stage, and rounded bar. Fresh meals for lunch or dinner were offered from the Cliff Bell's menu.

The interior space had a renovation sometime around the 60s or 70s. This made the interior and exterior more dark and drab, trading the art deco theme with a sort of dungeon feel. A poker room was added in the basement.

The bar was shuttered in 1975.

In May 2005, Jerry Belanger bought the building and began its $900,000 renovation. It opened temporarily for the Super Bowl and later had its official opening April 10, 2006. The space was restored to appear as it did in 1935. The bar is a joint venture of Scott Lowell and Paul Howard.

Official Website: www.cliffbells.com

And I got this from the following site: http://www.postcardsforyou.com /shirdetroit2.html

Anchoring the north end is Roma Café. Janet Sossi Belcoure told us her family business had been a boarding house in the horse carriage days.

"It cost a $1.50 a night," she said, "and included a meal in the 1890's, when the Marrazza family owned it. Mama Marrazza's cooking was so good she was encouraged to convert into a restaurant. In the 1920's, my great grand uncle came over on business, from Fiat headquarters in Torino. In those days you didn't just drop by from overseas, you stayed - 6 months in his case. He got to know Maria Marrazza and determined to buy this place. In 1927 he brought over a brother to run it.

"It was a speakeasy in the day, and we understand that they would build new doors to get around the police padlocks. My grandfather Sossi was a European trained chef working for the Statler Hotels in Ohio. His best friend was Hector Boyardi, and Dad was named for him. And yes, Hector asked grandfather to invest in his canned Italian food business scheme, but no, he didn't.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6252
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swpablo,

In high school, one of my friends lived at the corner of Lonyo and I-94...and their family had a tunnel from the house to the garage, too.

They owned a chain of dry cleaners, and this tunnel never made sense to me UNTIL I read the excellent "Purple Gang" history by Paul R. Kavieff...where he went into the details of the Dyers and Cleaners wars of that time, when the gang was trying to control and extort that lucrative market.

Many families who owned independent cleaners...and DIDN'T want to play the Purple's games...learned the hard way that the end of that game was death.

Years ago, when some street repair was being done downtown, they found a room IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION that was served by tunnels from three buildings on each corner! Now THAT is a fun solution to a stupid law against the personal use of imbibing substances.

Legalize it, NOW! Personal use prohibitions don't work...and both ALLOW and EXACERBATE the violence on our streets...time to learn again the lessons that Elliot Ness and his gang of merry feds learned back in the thirties!

Designut

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all for your input so far:-)

I'd heard about the basement of Cliff Bell's and actually ventured down there with some friends (after a few drinks) last time I was there. We weren't surprised to find that there's nothing left to hint at what it once was (it just looks like the basement of a building that recently underwent a $900,000 renovation)
But it's interesting to think about what actually went on down there.

Gannon- I've never heard the street repair story, do you recall what the intersection/ buildings were?

Also - I've heard the basement (?) or some portion of the building that Union Street is in was also a speakeasy. I've also heard that there was a gang-related shootout upstairs sometime in the '20s. I'm not sure if there's much truth to either story, but I heard it from a former employee. Has anyone else ever heard any similar stories about the place?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1052
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any actual research to back this up but it's been passed through family lore that most speakeasies (at least on the east side) were in the basements of folks' actual houses, especially boarding houses. Go through the side door and straight down into the basement...

Designut

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came across some information last night (somewhere?) that did mention that, so I believe you're right. It would also account for such a high (25,000!!) estimate of how many speakeasies there were in the detroit area.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Hamtown, many of my relatives used to make booze in their basement tubs and sell it out of the trunks of their car at Dodge Main in between shifts.

Buddy's at 6 Mile and Conant was also a blind pig. So was the old Woodbridge Tavern, heck they used to get it right off the boats. From the boat to your glass has a cool ring to it.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1801
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I'm surprised it took so long to list probably the most well known speakeasy in Metro Detroit - The Woodbridge Tavern. It was a well known hang out for the Purple Gang and, as Detroitej72 stated, it had a distinct operationaly advantage of being a convenient distance from the Detroit River where boats or Model Ts in the winter would deliver fresh brew from our neighbors to the south.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 633
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Dodge has a tunnel in the basement visible from the men's room. Somebody told me it was an old speakeasy tunnel.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1791
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

my relatives used to make booze in their basement tubs and sell it out of the trunks of their car at Dodge Main in between shifts

and I am quite sure that many of my relatives bought it from your relatives in between shifts at Dodge Main.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.245.94.218
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nemo's has some back rooms that used to be more hidden during prohibition. One of the bartenders was explaining it to me on one of their slower nights a couple years ago. I can't remember any helpful details, but it's worth your while to go in and talk to one of the bartenders.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 635
Posted From: 24.193.161.193
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great-grandfather operated a prohibition-era speakeasy in a basement somewhere in the vicinity of 8 Mile & Woodward, and he was one hardcore mofo. His forearms and chest were pock-marked and scarred after surviving a shotgun blast from the Purple Gang, who busted into his place late one night to 'deliver a message' that they weren't very happy with his establishment.

I used to work at the Woodbridge Tavern during the early '90s, and remember hearing stories from Marcia Cron (owner) about how it's basement was once used as a temporary storage facility for booze that was smuggled across the river from Canada. I didn't know that it was also operated as a speakeasy. Thanks to Bvos & Detroitej72 for the info.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a child I recall my Grandmother telling me to stay away from the bar at the corner of Stout and Seven Mile because it had once been a blind pig. They lived two houses behind it. Not sure what she thought they were gonna do......LOL She also said my Grandfather used to make beer on the back porch and sell it to his friends at the Dodge plant.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 359
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were there anybody's grandparents who did not make booze? :-)
(One of mine supposedly made bath tub gin.)

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 24.192.148.150
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Mine was a Detroit Cop on the Purple Gang squad.. He spoke Italian (Native) so he got involved in the gang squads.. One I remember my family mentioning there was a speak easy in Greektown he busted..

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.