Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Ghosts Stories « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this would be a cool idea, anyone have any ghost stories or legends from our wonderful metro area.

I'm sure most everybody is familiar with the legend Nain Rougue or Red Dwarf whose presence always fortold doom from the time of Cadillac to the present.

Anyone else know of the Martain Street Hag from the 1960's? I understand it was fetured again recently in a local ghost book. Anyone know the name of it?

How about the white lady of Belle Isle? I used to park on the bridge in the woods and honk the horn and flash my headlights 3 times to call her. Never had any luck. (shocker!)

What are some other stories?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 372
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted some on another thread titled Ghost towns. I have oodles of ghost stories both from my house and at Greenfield Village. I have no idea how to pull up old threads so I can copy and paste instead of retyping.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I figured out how to search old threads. Here are my stories as cut and pasted from the Ghost Town thread:

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 6:47 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

Greenfield Village is also haunted (something you won't hear on the tour...). I used to work there and can attest to the fact that the Wright home, Dagget farm, Firestone Farm among other bldgs are haunted and ghosts can be seen at night.....some of the workers in these homes might just tell you some stories too.

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 8:48 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

Hysteria: Yes, I had many experiences with ghosts at GV. I worked in the barn and tended the horses and gave tours, weddings and such. Most of these things happened at night. Dagget farm has a pungent pipe smell in November (when Sam Dagget would return home after working all summer at another plantation)....Firestone Farm has Sally....a Firestone daughter. Her upstairs bedroom has had many instances. Curtains and furniture moved when no one else is in the house, an apparition appearing in the window...someone drinking cups of coffee (namely mine) as we prepared for the day (hitching horses for field work) at Firestone barn. Spirits of horses in the William Ford Barn....stormy night after a wedding....we were drenched and up in the loft changing out of wet clothes to dry....we heard horses tramping back and forth in the barn....upon going back downstairs, all horses were in stalls and chained....The Wright home...people (the sister) in room windows upstairs..furniture being moved...yes I saw them...The Henry Ford birthplace caught on fire about 10 years back...the only original piece int hat house was a spinning wheel of HF's mother. That is the only piece not destroyed by the fire. I was there that morning...working right across the walkway from the HF birthplace.
Like I said, most of this happened at night during evening programs or when we were leaving after those programs.....there are many more instances and a book is in the works (at least it was) from staffers and former staff at the village about the ghost experiences we've had. Very spooky. If you talk to some of the staff persons, specially at Firestone and ask about Sally, they'll tell you.

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:01 pm:

Hysteria: I've also had similar experiences in my home. I am the 3rd owner. It's a 1920 farmhouse. The owner, a Mrs' Smith was a widow with 6 kids. My closet door will not stay closed, despite the things I put in front of it. I've ben pushed down the stairs (I felt hands pushing me...no one else was in the house). My dogs won't go to certain parts of the house. I hear footsteps upstairs when I am in bed, tools have come up missing while working on projects...all my windows were shut during a storm when I wasn't home...I had left them open. My ghost is weird....at first she was resistant to me living here (the 2nd owner was her grandson) and she did pass away upstairs, but of natural causes. I guess she figured out that I was restoring the house and not ruining it, she became nicer (shutting my windows). Many other things have happend, but if I mentioned them all, they'd cart me off to the looney bin.

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:06 pm:

I live in the older section of Dearborn. Like I said, I am the 3rd owner of this house.....and I have had weird dreams of dead relatives speaking to me and before I bought this house, that had never happened. Very weird at best. I also think there is a ghost cat. I have a cat who continually fights as if she is fighting with another cat...but no other cat is there, it's just her. I also feel cat steps on my bed at night, roll over and no cat.....
We've ripped apart my closet, down the the bare plaster, ripped up the floor. Found old newspaper stuffed in there (not as insultion either) with something wrapped in it. Unfortunately, the thing that was wrapped in it fell into the wall so it is somewhere between the upstairs and the main floor. If I had enough money and enough guts, I'd rip out the wall and see what it was but the whole house is that old paster and it's a biatch to replace and tear down.
Living with ghost in harmony, I suppose. At least she stopped pushing me down the stairs.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3627
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that the Bonstelle Theater is haunted. Supposedly old lady Bonstelle (God rest her soul) still taps her cane during lousy dress rehersals.

And I've also heard that the venerable Cadieux Cafe is a place of some late night hauntings as well as the Whitney.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Leland Hotel (Ramada Building) is supposedly haunted by a '20's ganster killed in one of the rooms. I lived there for 3.5 years, and I saw ghosts in my apartment twice, but I just blew it off as being an optical illusion.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3159
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After my grandparents died, we let a family friend and her husband move into the house. My grandmother became very close with the lady in the last few years of her life, and we figured it was the least we could do.

The lady and her husband stayed for two months. She refused to stay because of the noises from the attic that sounded like somebody walking around, moving cardboard boxes back and forth.

After we moved in, my wife and I would lie in bed at night and listen to the same noises.

Our kitchen cupboards would open and close on their own. The hinges were spring loaded, and the doors would make a very distinctive sound as they bounced once when they closed.

One evening, a friend watched somebody walk out of a bedroom and look around the corner to see what we were doing.

Every once in a while, things would disappear from the house, like mixing bowls from the kitchen. A few weeks, sometimes months, later, the item would turn up in totally nonsensical place. We found the mixing bowl in the attic.

I would sometimes smell cigar smoke in my sons' room, which used to be my grandfather's bedroom.

There may be more than one ghost, because two people died in the house: both of my grandma's sisters. Genevieve was 5 years old when she died of diphtheria in ~1926, and Irene was ~50 when she died of a heart attack in 1967. Irene and my grandmother had been estranged for over 10 years, and they finally patched things up at their mother's funeral in '67.

Irene was a widow by then, and she and Ann made plans for Irene to move into the house. About two weeks after their mother's funeral, Irene had a heart attack and died there.

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 12.15.7.70
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever been to Dunn's Tomb in Oxford? I hear 12 people are buried in there and sometimes there seems to be a presence

Detroitej72

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once read that the ghost at The Whitney is belived to be that of David Whitney himself. I knew a guy that worked there and he told me that a lot of wired stuff happened after they closed for the night and the staff was cleaning up.

Also the old Easttown theater is reputed to be haunted by the ghost of a women in a blue 1920's dress.

Username: 1630

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this thread gets more postings. Halloween's only two months away!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10474
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, this is strange. I just found out last night my neighbor claims to have a ghost in their house. Never caused any problems, just a few very strange occurances over the years though.

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 68.60.182.26
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a silly thread. There are no ghost! It's all in your head.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1120
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are silly.

Mani

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are Hysterical.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 841
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok what about the two young children (ghosts) who will grab onto your axle or bumper on alter and bump and kick your car?

I've heard this before...supposedly two children were hit on Alter and the car dragged them for a long ways...with them alive and kicking and screaming for a while.

I grew up in mid Michigan in a farmhouse built in the 1840's. Most of the house was built using hand sawn (or looked like it) lumber...we had the fieldstone basement with dirt floor and everything. When I was little I used the thing to well in the basement was the tunnel to hell from amityville horror.

Anyway...HamtramckSteve you made me think of that as we had ghosts too. The cupboards would open and close in front of your eyes. Very freaky...my aunt also saw someone checking her out in the family room once. Also, the upstairs bathroom toilet would flush AND the lid would close when nobody was up there. Whenever I was in the yard I had the sense that someone was watching me from inside (when nobody was home). Also, it didn't help that we lived next to a cornfield, and my cousin david made me watch Children of the Corn.

We now live in a home built in 1901 and I can honestly say there are no ghosts that I've met yet. Thank god... Come to think of it the dogs do bark at nothing once in a while...like something's there. YIKES!

Mani

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiction...Fiction, or Delusional. Dogs bark at the wind, you can't see the wind but it's there. Maybe dogs are communicating with one another. I would ssay your aunt was taking some good drugs too!

Quinn

Post Number: 842
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

!! Bogus...don't rain on my parade!

Mani

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stop the rain. I suggest you get an umbrella.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm at it again. I am redoing the bedroom upstairs to make way for a family heirloom bed. I am sanding the floors and getting excess paint off of the wood floors (not with a big floor sander, just a hand held one). I also have paint stripper and sandpaper up there.

My ghost (I can only assume because it was just me upstairs) took my sander. I can't find it and I was just using it! I went in the other room for another rag and BAM, it's gone! I looked everywhere. This isn't the first time things have come up missing (tools and such). I left the darn thing plugged in, so I know I didn't take it and move it.

I need a priest or something to come de-domonize my house!! This ghost is costing me a fortune in small hand tools.

Quinn

Post Number: 844
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

!!

Funny we're talking about this...I just had a conversation with a friend of mine about night terrors. Anyone ever heard of those? They are the reason for alot of alien abduction and haunting stories...and a natural phenomenon.

I found this picture of a ghost on bell isle...look at that circle...

h

Mani

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh god! I am convinced! damn, you scared the pants off of me.

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 63.241.158.33
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the freaky 'Black Box' thread? Some mysterious government agency is supposedly broadcasting signals on the east side via black boxes in electrical vaults or on power poles. Causes nightmares, visions and the like. Could be your ghosts are nothing more than a government sponsored conspiracy. Sleep well.

Quinn

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I remember that thread about the black box...

Mani if you look really close at the yellow circle you'll see, written in white, "Fu*k off mani!"

;P

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 64.7.187.243
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is a Detroit thread; but, supposedly the Holly and Fenton Hotels are haunted-
There are a few other homes in Holly that boast a ghost.

Zede
Username: Zede

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 69.236.168.18
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,

I'm agnostic about ghosts, but I've heard people say in cases like yours that you might try just asking for the item back. Couldn't hurt - what have you got to lose?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zede, already did that. No luck. I'm waiting to find them in the walls or something...I've been nice, nasty, all to no avail.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 635
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard about a lady selling apples appearing at a door in Indian Village. Maybe a ghost from the Depression?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some interesting stuff: http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=133&categ ory=life

http://www.unexplainable.net/a rtman/publish/article_2368.sht ml

**for all those who might give me a hard time because of the Majestic reference...

Houdini's last performance was at the Garrick, not the Majestic as stated in the unexplainable article...he went from the Garrick to Grace Hospital (Room 401) and it was there he died. He did not die from doing a stunt...it was appendicitis (I think I spelled that right) from being punched in the stomach in Montreal the night before.

(Message edited by detroitteacher on August 14, 2006)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,

Prepare yourself for a flame deluge for posting a link propagating the canard that Harry Houdini's last show was at the Majestic.

We now return to our paranormal programming.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I know about that. Wrong Houdini...BUT the other stuff is interesting. Another thread covered the Houdini/Majestic topic so I figured I was safe. Didn't say it was all correct, just interesting.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh. No harm no foul. Just "backfiring" to stop the flames. :-)

Detroitej72

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Detroitteacher!

Mani, if you find this thread silly, don't bother reading it.

This is not to discuss whether ghosts are real or not. Just to retell any Detroit Spokes that are of interest.

Mani

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn...it actually says Fu*K off to your mother. Perhaps you need your eyes checked. I know a good Optician.
Please, is it really necessary to be so Rude! How old are you...12?
But really it is a message from the ghost to your mother.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Children, play nice.

Quinn

Post Number: 847
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH MY GOD GET OVER YOURSELF!!!

I placed a ;P after it. I WAS KIDDING! CHRIST! Who are you...MetroDetGuy?

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 870
Posted From: 193.32.3.83
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The basement of my new home, The Park Shelton, is definitely haunted.

Quinn

Post Number: 848
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oohh. I love the park shelton but those hallways give me the creeps...kinda like The Shining. Especially the floors that haven't been thoroughly completed...with the dark spots at the end of halls. You can almost see that girl from The Grudge coming at ya.

What's the history of the Park Shelton? I can imagine it being a mob headquarters...would explain hauntings in the basement probably...

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The St. Regis is supposedly haunted by a dead gangster.

The building the Anchor Bar in is haunted by a woman who hides things and laughs.

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 871
Posted From: 89.136.139.22
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, the reason I bought there was due to the way the hallways reminded me of The Shining.

The basement is cavernous and has a number of old incinerators, some small and one very large as well as walk-in freezers from the 20's. I find the spirits are more active if you turn off your flashlight and walk around down there blind (it's pitch black). There are certain rooms that upon walking through become very cold in a matter of seconds. The hair stands up on your arms and you get the feeling you aren't at all welcome.

I would welcome a poltergeist detection team down there, but I'm sure this won't be possible until all the units are sold.

Quinn

Post Number: 857
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a midnight We-Ja Board?

Mrjoshua

Post Number: 872
Posted From: 89.136.139.22
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one dark toy I will never mess with again.

Quinn

Post Number: 859
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya after I typed it I changed my mind.

Did it once in a cornfield when I was a kid with friends...at midnight. HA. or I mean Yikes...

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of organized ghost walks (or tours) in Detroit?

I have been on one in both Boston and San Francisco. Pretty interesting.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.