Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Restoring a corktown house « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never considered myself very handy, but I find myself Scrapping paint off of my house. I don't own the house, I just rent it but My landlord will not pay for anyone else to do it. So I have taken it upon myself to repaint and make my house less of an eyesore in the community. I hope my landlord won't mind, I am painting it the same color... I am not charging her nor have I told her of this undertaking.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you Urbanoutdoors! You should make your landlord an offer if they don't want to maintain their own investment.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 812
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you, Urbanoutdoors.

Sometimes, those projects are the most fun. I've certainly realized satisfaction in leaving places just a little bit better than when I found them.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I guess my question is that in my lease it stipulates that I must check with her before any repairs. I know if I check with her I might get shot down and the house will still look like crap. since I am painting it the same colors is there any reason anyone else can think of for her to flip her lid over this?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 813
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I suppose you could fall, crack yer noggin and then sue her.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 360
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you! But, be sure to get it in writing from the landlord that it is OK for you to do this work or you could be out of your deposit at some point when you move out.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ridiculous! If she says anything, just tell her that you have been contacted by the City to let rental property inspectors in and you wanted the house to look good.

I have no doubt at all that she has never registered that property - which is, by the way a lovely little cottage!

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3156
Posted From: 68.255.162.205
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could see her saying no because she wouldn't know whether you know what you're doing. Exterior painting isn't rocket science, but it's not a cake walk, either.

Done right, a paint job can last 15-20 years. Done half-assed, it'll start peeling in a year.

After you're done scrapping, make sure you sand what's left. You want to leave the edges of the remaining paint feathered, so there's not a hard edge to it.

After sanding, lightly rinse the house, the lighter the better.

DO NOT USE A POWERWASHER. You'll force water underneath the boards.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you urbanoutdoors. The city needs more renter like you. Any landlord that has a problem with there tenant improving the place should loose the right to their property.
The only grounds for a landlord to bitch should be if you painted it some obnoxious color that really reflected poorly on the surrounding properties. (i.e. bright pink or the like)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I am trying to strip everything down to the wood. It has been a chore though sanding and scaping for 2 days so far. will spray it with a lighter mist and wait for it to dry and apply 2 layers of semigloss latex won't last quite as long as oil based but not as pricy, and messy either. I will send updated pics of the progress throughout the week.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep up the good work, keep us postted.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1693
Posted From: 4.229.126.102
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep all the receipts for money spent on paint and equipment and deduct it from rent.If your landlord squawks tell her to take you to court.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2370
Posted From: 12.75.20.179
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind that the underlying paint layers are surely lead-based. Google "lead paint" for tips on being safe, especially during sanding.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2291
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I rode my bike past your place today and saw the work in progress.
Thanks, track, that's no joke. I was going to say the same thing. It's good to get a few minerals in your system but lead is not good for you, and exterior paint is perhaps the most common source. They sell testing kits at the bigger home improvement stores.
Before I started buying wrecked homes and rehabbing them, I was a frustrated renter like you, and I left a couple places looking much better than when I moved in. Just document what you have done, and there should not be a problem.
Think of it as practice for when you are a homeowner.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Citylover. That's the way to go. Me and some friends did this a lot at place we rented years ago. The place was falling apart. If you mail your rent just mail copies of the receipts along with it. :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6256
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers to another citizen working for a better neighborhood.

What kind of beer do you drink, Urbanoutdoors?!

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray for painting! I am in the process of re-painting my old Corktown house (one section at a time), a process that started when I was still renting the house (but I have since purchased).

I agree with Eastsidedog... make your landlord an offer on the house and see what comes of it.

More tips on painting... I have read that a scraped, sanded surface should be washed with a large sponge and soapy water, and then rinsed before the soapy water dries. Also, set any nails sticking out just below the wood surface and cover with spackle. And, if you have the money, buy Sherwin Williams Duration exterior paint. It's the best you can buy, but it's over $40 a gallon. There is a Sherwin Williams store in Highland Park on Woodward.

Finally, I can't resist posting a link to a photo of my own house...

http://pics.livejournal.com/ve gan27/pic/00054td8

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 208
Posted From: 141.217.12.135
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors
the plants are a nice addition to the steet appeal. Did you hang them? Is your landlord a near by resident or absentee. Are they broke or well off?
Good luck and best wishes for a successful project.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 870
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick: Nice job. That house looks sweet. How long did your project take to finish or are you still in the midst of it?

Urbanoutdoors: Way to take the bull by the horns. Good for you. I'll also second the motion for making an offer on the house. The worst they can do is say no.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway, I'm still barely half way done with the painting. The current colors and restoration were actually done about 15-20 years ago by a past owner who is now an architect working for Bagley Housing. Everything is peeling now, and I'm just hoping to finish before winter.

Urbanoutdoors, I forgot to mention, I ALSO have never considered myself to be very handy, and I'm pretty much learning as I go. :-)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick, how long does that paint last, is it the kind that supposedly lasts 15 years? This thread has come at just the right time. Thanks for the tips on scraping and washing.

It good to own a brick house :-) :-) :-) but I do have to paint my shutters and dormers.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My landlord is a semi absentee, well off lady in farmington who doesn't really care if the house is kept up. I hung the plants to deaw attention away from the chipped paint.
Is there a safe way to remove lead paint by yourself? I read the epas pamphlet and they list the ways not to but don't list any ways to except hire a professional. I am trying to avoid stripping and sanding the roughest spots and only sand where I know its just a latex coat. From what I read it seems to be a hazard no matter what and I am trying to spray the area with water so there isn't a ton of dust, I am also wearing a mask but not a resperator which is what is suggested. I don't know if its lead based for sure but I have not seemed to be affected by it at all. Plus it says that the landlord is supposed to provide you with a pamphlet if it is lead based(not that I trust landlords doing things by the book.) I am trying to be precautious and not get myself killed or sick, but in the end I want a nice house. I said I am new at this stuff and I do appreciate suggestions. Let me know if there are any must knows to painting the exterior of a house. Thanks to all for the feedback

Gannon

Post Number: 6257
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you don't drink beer?!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I am fine if the beer, kills me or gets me sick but I would rather not have lead do it.

Gannon

Post Number: 6258
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're missing my question.

What type of beer do you like?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5749
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're at it, I've been scraping and painting and repairing rotted wood too...

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=184

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome House Aiw. Killians Oberon, and labatts mainly. I will send todays pic in an hr or two after a little more work is done

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 742
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrew, ever find any interesting artifacts up in the attic or between the walls of that beautiful Victorian???

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here are two of the latest pics

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have thought about replacing the boards on the front of the house because it is such a tedious process to strip the wood. someone told me about clap board but when I went to home depot they had never heard of it. where can I find it and how expensive is it?

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3165
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brooks Lumber across from Tiger Stadium will have what you need, and they'll be able to answer all your questions.

You'll find they're the only source for the porch boards, too. I had to replace a few a couple of years ago, and that was the only place.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.