Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Chin Tiki « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 136.181.195.25
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a bit out of the loop, but I just read that Marvin Chin passed away April 26, 2006 and the property is currently for sale. Does anyone know what the status of this property is?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pardon my ignorence, but what is his property?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1483
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2000/03heard_on_forum/03Chin Tiki.htm

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4209
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, quick thinking. What jjaba found amazing, is the vacant land between Cass Avenue Chin Tiki and Cass Tech. Before the great abandonment, this would have been chock-a-block with urban excitement in the combat zone. Sadly, all gone now.

jjaba, CT Class of 1959.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 358
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've said it on this forum a few times now, and I'll say it again; Marvin Chin was never going to re-open the Chin Tiki himself. Even before the 8mile people were around, he would tell me that he was only looking to sell or lease the space. Asking price was $1,000,000.00 the last time I talked to him. I don't know what the price was to lease it. Marvin once told me three or four years ago, that the National Coney people and the owner of the Rooster Tail had come down to look at the building. Looks like nothing ever came of that.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say that I ever remember eating at Chin Tiki but I used to go to the Mauna Loa on West Grand all the time. Does anyone else remember how cool that place was? It was like a Rain Forest Cafe without the phony animals.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on August 08, 2006)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 905
Posted From: 4.229.93.19
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilitch.

Chub

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger, do you happen to have any old photos of the Mauna Loa?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1785
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/50492/52212.html

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 233
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since he's doing commercials for local law firms, it would be cool to pool our resources and hire William Shatner to do a bit where he dresses up as Captain Kirk and yells "ILLLLITTTCCCHHH!!!"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2603
Posted From: 4.229.72.98
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been to Chin Tiki, but I had the rare good fortune to visit Mauna Loa as a teenager. WOW! A river did run thru it....

I was just reading thru the Mauna Loa thread about all the leftover "Tiki" merchandise that went to homeless shelters, etc.

As a Lego toy enthusiast/collector of rare parts, I came across a similar situation when the Danish Lego Co. sponsored a Nigerian boys camp in Denmark in 1967. The Lego Co. gave each of the underprivelidged Nigerian boys a Lego Car (1:87 HO scale) Keychain.... Just saw one on EBAY last fall sell for $753!!

Chub

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, just so everyone knows; Chin Tiki and Mauna Loa mugs arn't worth anything. Just email me and I'll come pick up all them ugly mugs and take em' to the dump for you, no charge.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4217
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger, there's a difference between West Grand Ave., and West Grand Blvd. We can't presume to know where you meant. Thanks.

jjaba, Welcome to the Forum.

Gistok

Post Number: 2606
Posted From: 4.229.105.195
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, he left out the word "Boulevard".... Mouna Loa was on West Grand Boulevard.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3571
Posted From: 68.21.37.77
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pu-pu (sp?) platters! YUMMMMMMY!

Who could eat a dinner after sharing one of those?

Chub,
I'll help you get rid of those mugs, I errr....uh....ah... need some broken pottery to line my uh...err... ah yea some pots for my indoor plants.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3632
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure could use a few more of those...uh, Mauna Loa or Chin Tiki planters/ mugs myself. I'm, uh... just using them to sprout my seedlings for next spring. And just in case anyone has any stray menus from those places I sure could use a few of them to, uh... wallpaper my place. It gets kinda drafty here and I sure could use the, uh... ahem, insulation.

Chub, you sure do make a convincing argument to be a public servant here and pick up any of the goodies from both of these restaurants. By the way, if you do score any of them, I have a special envoronmentally friendly "dump" you could bring them over to.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba; you’re right; I should have been more specific; point taken.

Chub; I’ve searched my old photos but the only ones from the Mauna Loa I can find are of friends and family grinning foolishly while sipping little umbrella drinks.

Mrsocks2002
Username: Mrsocks2002

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.217.229.36
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Victor Lim's? It wasn't tiki - it was more modern, as I recall. My dad always said it was the kind of place the Beatles would've gone to if they were in town.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 225
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone explain this whole "TIKI" thing? I just don't get it.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I remember Victor Lim's. I also remember Trader Vic's (it was tiki) in the Statler Hilton. Hawaii had just become a state in 1959 so Hawaiian (tiki) themed restaurants were very popular in the 60's.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3639
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumotect- as far as this revival in tiki, I think it has more to do with the attitude of tiki in its heyday. Sure, the trappings like the mugs, shirts, idols, cars, unique drinks and exotica were a part of it. But it was literally the last time in American culture that a man and his wife could legitimately go out to a swanky restaurant, taste (at that time) nouveau faux Polynesian cuisine, watch some scantily clad exotic women dance, and get hammered on some crazy exotic drinks. There was a freedom to do such a thing and it was celebrated as being a hip thing to do.

Now tell anyone that you and your wife are going out all night to go watch half naked women dancing and coming back hammered is met with scorn.

All of this started with the GIs returning from the Pacific theater and they had developed a touch for what they had considered paradise. It was probably the introduction to a lot of people of Chinese food disguised as rare Polynesian fair.

So to this new generation of tiki-philes, I'm sure a lot of it has to do with trying to re-capture some of that uniqueness, decadence and lifestyle. Is it a fad? Maybe, but in some form tiki has never really exited the American culture- it's just died down somewhat and maybe found its own niche now.

Gistok

Post Number: 2615
Posted From: 4.229.90.124
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points Smogboy... that had me thinking of other wacky Tiki spinoffs....

The Tiki Room at Disneyland and DisneyWorld...

The 1950's "B" Horror movie "Con-Tiki The Immortal Monster"...

Canada's SCTV with John Candy as Johnny LaRue in "Polynesiantown"...

The remake of "King Kong"....

All of those Tiki Torchieres still popular in backyards today....

Smogboy

Post Number: 3641
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other spinoffs include Disney's cartoon Lilo & Stitch as well as places like Pottery Barnand Target selling tiki/ Polynesian themed items- from tissue box holders to bed sheets.

If you look hard enough, tiki's all around us.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 24.199.130.243
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about the taboo tiki god idol on the Brady Bunch.

A lot of this stuff really took off at the time Hawaii was gaining statehood.

(Message edited by craggy on August 10, 2006)

Chub

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ramcharger, if it's no big trouble, I'd still like to see those pics of your friends and family at the Mauna Loa. If you don't want to post them here, just email them to me at eric@oconnordetroit.com

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1073
Posted From: 75.10.4.241
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For $50+ you can have some old menus...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Lot-V intage-Tiki-Menus-from-Chin-Ti ki-of-Detroit_W0QQitemZ2200138 81550QQihZ012QQcategoryZ29460Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

(not my auction, btw)

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the explaination.

I like Hawaian shirts, I like umbrella drinks, I like Asian food, I like guys dancing around with fire. I like half naked chicks with flowers in their hair.

When I was a kid I bought a tiki god, at the state fair (probably about 58). It hung around my neck. It had rinstone eyes and glowed in the dark.

But I still don't understand why everone goes ape shit about this stuff.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 721
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't, remember where you are DETROITYES.COM
LOL.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1495
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Metro Times...

Freaky over Tiki: Detroiters bow to faux gods of Polynesian pop

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=5431

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was that area (Behind the Fox) like when the Chin Tiki opened? Were most of the now vacant lots occupied?

Thanks.

Chub

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumotect, for me it all started at the age of 9 or 10 when my parents took me on a trip to Disney Land. We stayed at the Polynesian Resort, which had a volcano at the swimming pool, cool A-frame type room/houses. Every night we'd walk down these dark paths by the pool to the see the Polynesian review and have dinner. Along these dark paths was tons of tropical tree and plants with large tiki statues placed along the path every so often. From what I remember they had speakers hidden behind each tiki statue, speaking some kind of fake ooga-mooga jungle talk. Once at the Polynesian show, we saw hula dances and guys in crazy grass skirts tossing fire and knives around. It all made a huge impression on me and I attribute my tiki obsession over the years to this moment in my life. I got to see the Chin Tiki before the 8-mile people got to it and I must say it took me back to that time when I was 9 or 10 years old. I wish I had been around during the days of the Mauna Loa.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But I still don't understand why everone goes ape shit about this stuff."

Why not? It's not any crazier than people that collect Beanie Babies as far as I'm concerned. It's just a craze that people have latched onto. No harm no foul. For me I've always like the kitschiness of it all; it's an American bastardization of a culture and how we've added out own twists to them now (how many people even know about the origins behind some of those tiki gods?). It's all in good fun.

So it's not you perhaps, but we tikiphiles are okay with that too.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1699
Posted From: 4.229.132.31
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been mentioned here by me and others. But it has been quite some time so I will do it again.

There is a tiki bar in Tecumseh at the Tecumseh inn.It is very small but all original and very authentic,with a ceiling of cool lights to mimic the outdoor sky.And it is still there and still open for business.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 597
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiki is all good fun (a religion to some)...and it enjoyed a nice resurgence with the ersatz lounge revival circa 1996. I think most of the informed posts above have captured the essence of it....GI's returning from duty in the South Pacific coupled with the newfound Hawaii statehood....the music of Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman, among others, as well as Les Baxter from time to time.....unfortunately, however, some misguided folks confuse tiki with a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack, coconut bra and grass skirt type of goobernalia--that's a no no, and such sacrilege will make the tiki gods very angry. Interestingly enough, Target tried to launch a mini tiki craze this summer...and some of the stuff was adequate. The bamboo bar they were selling was pretty cool....and they had a whole army of 40 inch faux totems that weren't bad either. Sadly, I don't think much of america was ready for the craze.....we'll probably see the totems on overstock.com.

Prior to its demo, you could still find some vestiges of Trader Vic's on the exterior panels of the Statler at the Bagley/Grand Circus corner....also--bonus fact--Trader Vic's was Richard Nixon's favorite restaurant. Picture him stealing across Lafayette Park during the heights of Watergate in order to dive into a Triple Zombie at the Capital Hilton....stumbling back and then launching into a few obscenity laced tirades in front of the Lincoln potrait, empty faux-monkey skull still in hand....

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 566
Posted From: 172.131.131.73
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were Trader Vic's in several flagship Hiltons in major cities around the country. The Capital Hilton version was an amazing classic from the 50's. I drank too much at the bar there more than once in the distant past. Sadly, I think it's now closed along with the one in the Palmer House in Chicago. I also think that plans have been announced to demolish the Vics at the Beverly Hills Hilton for some kind of condo expansion.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 66.54.213.11
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Seattle, we had a Trader Vic's at the Westin, and there was one in Portland at the Benson. I was working at the Westin the night it closed, and it was a great party! Talk about drunk! :-)

That space is still empty at the hotel, after a brief occupation by a sushi bar. It would be great to see them back there, but I don't think they do hotel restaurants anymore.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 66.54.213.11
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, if you are ever in San Francisco and want some Tiki, check out the Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill. Still going strong after all these years, and with a great special effect that you have to see - I won't spoil it by telling you what it is :-)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 567
Posted From: 67.38.16.19
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another long gone tiki classic: the Boom-Boom Room in East Lansing.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3651
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that Chin Tiki menu went down a few nights ago on eBay to probably the biggest spender on eBay tiki stuff. It went for a mere $58.60 which can be seen as a relative bargain considering a Port O' Three (another Marvin Chin establishment) menu went down for around $120 a few months prior.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok so the bad news is that the chin tiki was sold a few weeks ago to Illitch. I say this only knowing that the annual tiki tour is cancelled as part of the tiki weekend due to the fact of the new owner. After Marvins death his son took it and was still planning on allowing the tour to happen. They were just notified that it will not happen now due to new ownership of Illitch. My buddy creates the poster/flyer for the event and is now having to remove the text for the event.

Troy

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is the flyer
tiki flyer

Troy

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

of course this is the not released add with the tour that is no longer an option at this time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.