Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » CC distilery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1205
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was fishing in the river yesterday... and i was wondering if anyone else gets more than their share of whiffs of the mash comming from Canadian Club factory.

It smells like KFC constantly.

BTW, i toured the distilery over the weekend, and it was quite impressive in terms of history...

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 69.14.112.159
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tours used to take you into the plant itself.
Up in the vat monitoring area the guide would open one of the hatches into a fermentation vat. Talk about a whiff of mash.
Apparently they had to discontinue the plant portion due to insurance issues. But the new tour is very cool. I love the small museum, and the old office areas.

Interesting side note: Hiram Walker is buried in Elmwood Cemetery.
I once had a shot of Johnny Walker Blue standing over Johnny Walker's grave.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 71.144.93.154
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good friend of my father lived down the street from HW, he never grew tired of the smell. I used to love visiting his house when I was a kid. Still love that smell.
Back in the day they used to give out free samples at the end of the tour.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 67.149.69.93
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you catch anything?

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 68.60.139.11
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i noticed their sign wasn't lit up the other day, that thing was a site in the morning during rowing prior to sunrise.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.