Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Downtown Trolleys « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if this was ever covered on another thread, but what is up with the trolleys? I have driven down Wash. Blvd. nemerous times and it wasn't until this week that it dawned on me that they are gone. When did I miss this and what are the plans? I must be getting old to have let this slip past me.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 704
Posted From: 70.227.14.202
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ut oh Detroitej you are going to get schooled in how to search for old Threads. As there are thread-nazis on here who will become unfriendly. Hopefully you will get a nice answer from someone. But I will tell you they have been gone about I think 3 years(maybe more).

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 70.227.14.202
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No plans ether.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that was only supposed to be temporary while they removed that horrible tinker toy set and reopened the road to traffic.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 712
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, ether tends to do that........making no plans..........

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2560
Posted From: 4.229.72.13
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that they are in storage. They are NOT returing to Washington Blvd., however. Especially with the demolition of the Trolley barn there.

No current plans for them. But hopefully the city won't sell them off.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1114
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I belive I saw on the net somewere they were sold to Seattle.

Humanmachinery
Username: Humanmachinery

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 172.163.38.34
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trolleys were removed about five years ago, I believe at the end of the Archer administration. They just didn't make enough money to keep the one line running, and the city was actually losing quite a bit of money on what was a nostalgia service.

The people mover has a similar problem, but it would cost far more to disassemble it, and be a much larger public relations disaster. One of the painful realities of Detroit, is that public transportation doesn't really make sense here anymore. It worked up until the auto companies removed the trolleys and public railways, because most of the population used to live in Detroit proper, and the economy was centered downtown and in the factories.

Now there are more suburbanites than there are Detroiters, and the whole grid is a horrible nightmare. There's no public transportation system which can properly service the populace, and so metro Detroiters are tied to their cars (which the city no longer makes).

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 68.40.106.164
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you are assuming we have a working freeway system......not!

I-275 | Northbound | from Ecorse Road to Ann Arbor Road
Weekend Construction Weekend Construction

two left lanes closed starting at 9 p.m. Friday, August 4. Scheduled completion: 8 a.m. Saturday, August 5.

-- The two left lanes will also be closed from:
8 p.m. Saturday, August 5 until 9 a.m. Sunday, August 6.
6 p.m. Sunday, August 6 until 5 a.m. Monday, August 7.

I-375 Incidents

I-375 | Southbound | at Madison Avenue
Construction Construction

multiple lane closures. Scheduled completion: August 15.

I-696 Incidents

I-696 | Eastbound | and westbound between Inkster and Telegraph roads

down to two lanes in each direction with a traffic shift and peak-time delays. Scheduled completion: November 15.

* Traffic shift will be in place until August 14.

Also, the following ramps are closed:

# westbound I-696 ramp to M-10 northbound
Until August 28
# westbound I-696 to northbound US-24
Until August 28
# northbound US-24 ramp to westbound I-696
Until August 29
# northbound US-24 ramp to northbound M-10
Until August 29
# southbound US-24 ramp to westbound I-696
Until August 29
# southbound US-24 to northbound M-10
# northbound US-24 to southbound M-10
# northbound US-24 ramp to I-696 eastbound
# southbound M-10 to eastbound I-696
# southbound M-10 to Lahser Road
# southbound M-10 to northbound and southbound Telegraph
# northbound M-10 to westbound I-696
Until August 29
# northbound M-10 to southbound Telegraph Road
# northbound M-10 to northbound Telegraph Road
Until August 28
# Lahser Road to northbound M-10
Until September 10.

I-696 | Eastbound | from Dequindre to Mound

down to one lane starting at 9 p.m. Friday, August 4. Scheduled completion: 5 a.m. Monday, August 7.

I-696 | Eastbound | and westbound ramps to and from Mound Road

COSED starting at 6 a.m. Saturday, August 5. Scheduled completion: 5 p.m. Saturday, August 5.

I-696 | Westbound | and westbound approaching Telegraph
Heavy Traffic Heavy Traffic

due to construction. Westbound traffic slows from Evergreen, eastbound slows east of Orchard Lake Road.

I-75 Incidents

I-75 | Northbound | between Rockwood and Fort Street

Right lane closed. Scheduled completion: October 15.

I-75 | Northbound | from the Davison (M-8) to 8 Mile Road

CLOSED starting 9 p.m. Friday, August 4. Scheduled completion: 5 a.m. Monday, August 7.

I-75 | Northbound | from I-94 to the Davison

down to one lane starting late Saturday, August 5. Scheduled completion: Noon Sunday, August 6.

I-75 | Southbound | between 8 Mile Road and the Davison Freeway

Single peak-time lane closure, double non-peak time lane closures. Expect delays in the work zone. Scheduled completion: Early August.

I-75 | Southbound | from 8 Mile to I-94

down to one lane starting at 9 p.m. Friday, August 4. Scheduled completion: Noon Saturday, August 5.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 337
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Christmas! Seems that road construction has been going on forever and on the same stretches of roads as in years past. I really don't see any improvement in many areas where they do construction. Wait, I rarely see actual construction, I only see orange barrels.

Inquisitor
Username: Inquisitor

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 205.56.129.194
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the real reason for the horrible roads. It seems as though just as I cross the Ohio-Michigan border I always get that same old sound that welcomes me home time and again...THUMP, THUMP...THUMP,THUMP...THUMP,TH UMP. It's got to be great for tourism. I have visions of a family filled station wagon being detoured to Mcnichols and Gratiot area around 1am after driving for 10 hours. I can almost hear conversation now...

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my mom, aunts and uncles talking about taking the trolley's to venture around downtown. They lived on Majestic way back in the 30's. They loved the trolley!

The problem with the thump, thump, thump of Michigan roads, is they are built with the cheapest quality products available, by the lowest bidder.

Our roads freeze and thaw just as much as Ohio highways, and they seem last longer with less problems. I wonder if the city or state takes the time to check whatever product the road construction companys are using to make sure it matchs the requirements of the bid?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trolleys?? Thats nothing!! I was downtown the other day and noticed that Crowleys and Hudsons were GONE!! I could not even find a Sanders. I had to go back to Ferndale without my succulant tasty Hot Fudge Cream Puff treat!

No wonder I stay N of 8 Mile.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pity on the Trolleys. Back in the 70's, while in highschool, several of us volunteered to sell etchings of old trolley pictures at Hudson's Eastland to raise money for them. Alex Pollock cared SO much about doing that, that he even shuttled us back and forth to school. Wonder whatever became of him because he REALLY cared about the city (murals at Eastern Market, too).

As far as construction: how many years were we complaining about the roads going to crap while Engler would spend a penny on them? State is in a tight ecomonic situation but the roads ARE improving. Many stretchs of 94, 75, etc. are MUCH better than they were just a few years ago.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex still works for the City.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.