Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » River East Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who else absolutely loves this design? I can't wait to see it materialize.

There are three images...make sure to view them all..

http://www.rossetti.com/reside ntial/river_east.html#

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 584
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fabulous... lol.

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks nice. However, the skywalks need to go. The key is to bring as much foot traffic to the ground level. Use of the skywalks diminishes the earning potential of ground floor retailers. Developers of this project should rethink (even dispose of) the tacky skywalk concept before this design goes to the final drawing board.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1988
Posted From: 70.141.183.29
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is true, Firefly.

I hope this happens...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read that a couple of times, I see no mention of a skywalk. (Edit: did not notice a second pic at first, I would think that the skywalks are there simply to help keep cars at a distance from the river where they can get more $$ for the apartments)

Looks like standard trendy architecture to me. I do like the scale though.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on August 04, 2006)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1055
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to tell from the photo, but I wonder if the skywalk is connecting the parking garage to the actual residential structure. If that is the case I would be in favor of that.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4076
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been posted before, and I'm pretty sure it's a concept that can (and will) change depending on the market.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 206.126.217.221
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after taking a look at these initial renderings i think rosetti is going about this project the wrong way. being a current senior in the udm school of architecture, i'm familiar with rosetti's work. i have to question the way they handle the design elevations facing e. jefferson. lets first stop and think about the site. for me, the main factors in design would be jefferson ave, the ren cen, and the international connection that will be again reinforced with windsor and detroit. i like the fact that the buildings on the river walk have a lower profile and are perpendicular to the river and jefferson. this will reinforce a connection with the city and river. however, the buildings running parallel with jefferson cut off any kind of view with pedestrians, motorists, and all the buildings behind. working with a riverfront site can be a challenge, but i think its irresponsible that the potential buyers of these condos will be the only ones to benefit from the view. regardless of the riverwalk, it's not a responsible solution.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4083
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear people make that arguement every once in awhile, but you don't want a bunch of two-story buildings along the riverfront just to save views. The key here, and what is being done right, is that the riverfront is being kept public, so all the public has to do is go down to the river. Some riverfronts aren't like this.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 206.126.217.221
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i completely agree with you
but no one has the right to slap up some long ass block along jefferson. the visual connection between the city and the river is vital to detroit's urban plan. i think the overall plan can work, but it looks too cliche.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 24.247.163.145
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'ts okay. But I think it could use some improvements. Not to overkill the ground floor retail obsession found here, but judging by these renderings, there's not a whole lot going on at street level. I think the older concepts were more interesting. Yeah, image 2 shows some people walking around and there's some store signage here in there. But we throw that stuff in renderings to make the scene look better than it really is.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hy, Jefferson Ave is quite some distance from this project. I doubt that this will face Jefferson Avenue at all. If it makes it to Woodbridge, I'd be surprised.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4085
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner is right. RiverEast is only going as far east as Rivard Street, and as far north as Franklin.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know when the city is going to start on it?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4087
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not not the city's to build. The 8-parcel, GM-owned RiverEast is a private sector development, which will be developed by quite a few different developers.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2079
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

after taking a look at these initial renderings i think rosetti is going about this project the wrong way. being a current senior in the udm school of architecture,

Well then I am going to write Rosetti and complain about the design. I normally wouldn't take a college kid opinion over someone who has done hundreds of these projects but hell you are a "senior". If you were a junior I wouldn't care what you had to say but that extra year of college does it for me. GM should remove Rosetti from the project.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 84.168.118.177
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMHO - To save the views would be pretty stupid at this location. Since this spot is so central to the area that needs to have more things to look at, there should be buildings erected in the future to get a view of the Ren-Cen AND the River East development. We can't have a big circle of buildings surrounding the Ren-Cen. Think of Chicago, how many high rises are there that you can actually get a view of the Sears Tower, or Navy Pier?

I think the plan is great

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.