Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Who is responsible for Warped tour clean up? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7626
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Warpoed tour just trashed the area around Comerica. Clean up didn't start until the next day (who knows how much trash was blown away) and there was still a huge mess after it was 'cleaned up'

Who is responsible for cleaning the mess and who enforces whether they do a good job?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10394
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penske's team....DUH! It's not as if we don't have a downtown crew working 6 days a week to keep the city shining.

Jt1

Post Number: 7627
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His team is working to improve downtown but it doesn't give people the right to trash it.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1733
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

His team is working to improve downtown but it doesn't give people the right to trash it.

That's actually wrong. When you take away personal responsibility and accountability, by providing corporate welfare to the denizens of downtown, you actually encourage people to be even less responsible.

I would rather see Penske's team running around downtown passing out tickets and beating people with billy clubs who litter, than watching them clean up after the lazy, inconsiderate asswipes who throw their shit around.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6195
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, Dabirch, I never took you as a brutal legalist. Perhaps we just need the cops to enforce the litter laws already on the books, and let the Penske team keep doing their fine job. My bet is that the litterers have legal problems on the whole, too, so we would probably clean the streets of some evil-doers on the way to a cleaner city. (the previous comments contain NO codespeak, please re-read IF you think there is any offensive commentary hidden within)

I was on a short walk-about in the sunshine today...had to zigzag across the islands at Jefferson and Woodward because of the short-timed lights...and was waiting at Joe's Fist when I saw a woman directly in front of me roll down her window and toss a napkin out.

I couldn't believe it...and am always amazed when people brazenly litter, whether it be cigarette butts or worse...so I stood there looking at her to see if she would notice me passive-agressively staring her down. I even took a few steps over to be MORE in her field of view.

she didn't notice me...as if she would see anything past her snout...so I casually walked up to her car, picked up the napkin, then finished crossing the street to dump it in the can. She freaked as IF I were going to car-jack her. Heh. Good for her.

I didn't even bother to see her expression as I picked up the napkin and held it out for her to see.

I've decided that every time I go out for a walk or run, I'm not going to simply look at the litter...at least once a week or so I'm going walking with a trash bag.

Plus, I think we should help replace those residential flowers that were reported stolen. One thing I noticed while on my western journey was that EVERY pleasant place I wandered through, there happened to be NO litter and LOTS of flowers.

It may sound insignificant, but I believe deep down that there is some great importance to these details.

I'm DONE with letting people trash our city...and will happily lend a wee bit of energy reversing the trend.

The more people actively put positive energy into the city, the quicker we will reverse this horrible lack of respect for our surroundings.

Now, if I could only get the person in charge of the Eastern Market Fire Department Maintenance facility to clean up that lot on the SouthEast corner of their block...

Jt1

Post Number: 7631
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Litterers in the city are an issue. I was however talking about the mess left behind from the Warped tour.

I would assume a tour of this size would have some responsibility to do a decent job cleaning. This was not day to day litter but event litter.

Litterers in the city is another issue.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we are saying the same thing Gannon.

Or at least, we both want the same thing.

Littering, especially the brazen type of it that occurs in this city, is symptomatic of greater individual and societal issues.

If you don't respect common property, how can you have any respect for individual property?

Bring back the crying native american on his horse campaign. And woodsie the owl.

Give a hoot!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6197
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

Yeah, I got that, sorry to not actually comment on the main thread...I am the master of derailing threads.

Any public gathering like that should contain some good-faith deposit with the performance license, just in case the group doesn't clean up after themselves.

It would take a simple before-and-after photo shoot to prove the effects of the crowd.

Dabirch,

Absolutely...I was just teasing you, ya big brute.

On my walk downtown...past the courthouses, then Compuware, through Campus Martius, and onto Hart Plaza...there was trash blowing everywhere.

Some of you have said that the Penske team is dong a good job...but apparently the collection of human pigs undoes it pretty efficiently...and then there is the wind.

Good stuff, though, give a hoot indeed.

I'm going to try a new thing, like with that woman in the car, instead of putting energy into judging and anger...I'm going to 'try' to channel it into positive actions instead.

I'll let you know how it works out. Heh.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah --

Channelling into positive actions is one way. I prefer to "go negative" and do what i can to shame the pig.

My personal favorite is to pick up something that somebody "dropped" and running up to them (or their car) and letting them know they must have dropped something.

Some great reactions.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 603
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i rode my bike down there and those bastards TRASHED downtown! ruthless little shit mall punk wannabes

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 204
Posted From: 87.234.219.50
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as opposed to the "real" punks. What separates the real punks from the wannabees? Do you know of real punkx?

It is great that we are really talking about the warped tour actually being here and not in Pontiac where it has been ever since its inception. Isnt the fact that we got the tour here the biggest gain not the trash that the party goers left behind???

Bussey - here in Berlin on the Friedreichstraße representing the old English D.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is nice that the tour has come downtown, but it is just pure immaturity to litter, especially in an atmosphere like that. Real punk died in the late 70's anything after that is just a copy. I was born in 82 so I don't know any.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 67.149.107.157
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warped tour was downtown in 2002, I believe. Around Comerica Park. I swore up and down that no matter who was playing, I would never, ever attend something like that at that venue again. It was a miserable location. Could not have been worse. I'm all for doing it in the city of Detroit instead of Pontiac, but Comerica is not the place to do it.

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 70.225.118.222
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to the Y on Sunday with my two little girls and even my 3 year old noticed just how "bad people really made a big big mess in front of the tigers." I kept meaning to find out what/who was responsible. Thanks to the "youth" I now know which bad people it was. The image left in my mind is just of how much freakin' garbage/trash there was everywhere, port-o-potty filth just oozing right across from the Fox (health hazard?) and how there was just one lonely dude on a lame looking bobcat contraption and said dude looking a bit overwhelmed/pissed off.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1466
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every large gathering of people has its trash. Do you think that the crowds at every game at Comerica Park and Ford Field pick up after themselves before leaving the venue? What about the crowds at the Dream Cruise? or every night at Pine Knob (aka DTE Energy Music Theatre) or at the annual Fireworks display? Or any other gathering of thousands of people? Why should the Warped Tour fans be any different in terms of the fact that trash is left behind? They're not, so what should have happened is that the concert promoters should have had a crew waiting to come in and clean up as soon as the event was over. That's what happens at the events I mentioned. The very next morning, you can't even tell that there was a Dream Cruise or a million people downtown for the fireworks, etc. Blame the promoters and/or the city department that issued the permit for the gathering.

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 70.225.118.222
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The very next morning, you can't even tell that there was a Dream Cruise or a million people downtown for the fireworks, etc. Blame the promoters and/or the city department that issued the permit for the gathering."

Kathleen you are exactly right. That is why it was so amazing... we have been going to the Y on Sundays after games/downtown events ever since it opened. This litter/rubbish/garbage/refuse/ excrement was not just heaped in front of Comerica Park which is where my daughter noted it (so bad that a 3 year old makes takes immediate notice!?), but also all around downtown. There was then on Sunday afternoon and tonight on Monday evening tons of stuff everywhere downtown. Clearly somebody let somebody else get away with something big time when it came to post event clean up for the "Warped" tour... especially given the examples you list above. I wonder if tracing the money/greased palms would tell us who the somebodys were in this instance.

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 68.74.0.204
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey get off the internet righ now. Enjoy your trip!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.