Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Detroit Docks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 67.68.9.79
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am seeking information about this image- what year it was taken, and any other facts as they relate to this era, the Detroit docks and ferries.

Any help much appreciated.

The Detroit Ferry Docks

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 911
Posted From: 69.212.43.211
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the buhl building has been completed, but you can't see the penobscott or gaurdian; so between 1925-1928. image is looking up woodward avenue...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1178
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would make for a good time warp, going back into the 1950s again as a teenager when my vacation visits to Dearborn or Detroit meant something. I'd gladly have the older pre-Hart Park scenarios. They probably still had streetcars back when that photo was taken

My grandfather and my mother took me and my brother to Bob-Lo that one and only time. We went during the week, and the afternoon we were there in late August, the amusement park was not crowded or anything.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on July 26, 2006)

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 67.68.9.79
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call on the streetcars- they are actually on Woodward in the photo- the ferry on the right is The Promise- to the left is the famous Bob-Lo steamer Ste- Claire.

According to "The Ferry Steamers- The Story of the Detroit-Windsor Ferry Boats" by Wm. Oxford: "The ferry Promise was launched in 1892 by the Detroit, Belle Isle and Windsor Ferry Company, fulfilling its "promise" to add a modern vessel to the fleet."

The Promise ran a route between Windsor, the Bates Street dock at the foot of Woodward, and Belle Isle.

One foggy morning, the LaSalle and the Promise were involved in an accident. The LaSalle struck the Promise which was moored behing the Windsor docks, breaking her mooring lines and sending her crashing into a cement wall. The Promise was put out of action.

Most of this is becoming removed from our collective consciousness, but is fun to revisit.

Participants on this board know the story of the Ste-Claire- one of the last remaining steamers of the Border Cities.

I recently spotted the Ste-Claire moored next to the Columbia downriver near the Rouge Plant. The Columbia is shrink wrapped (very odd sight indeed!), reportedly headed to NY, while the Ste- Claire looks a bit tired...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2492
Posted From: 4.229.81.34
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That tall building on the right side is the (1922 built) First National Building. And somewhere in that jumble of buildings in the first 2 blocks on the left side of Woodward would be Mariner's Church (no bell tower back then) before it was moved to its current site.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1346
Posted From: 66.2.148.83
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This must be from the early twenties, showing the foot of Woodward, with traffic awaiting the ferry to Windsor.

wsu/vmc

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.