Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » DPS advances budget cut alternatives « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2766
Posted From: 69.17.38.195
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo-hoooooo!!! This is some of the best news I have read in a long time. Too bad fools like MetroDetGuy think it's not journalism! Fools like him don't know anything about GRASSROOTS.

GANGSTA: DPS sticks it to state
School board advances budget cut alternatives

By Diane Bukowski
The Michigan Citizen

DETROIT — Detroit Public Schools administrators want to cut 800 positions and squeeze $105 million in union concessions to eliminate a projected deficit. However, at their monthly meeting July 13 school board members supported two alternatives.

They voted unanimously to endorse a bill introduced by State Rep. Lamar Lemmons III that would forgive all debt to the state incurred by the district during the five year state takeover, up to $250 million.

http://www.michigancitizen.com /default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1 &twindow=&mad=&sdetail=3313&wp age=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=& ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reop tion=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=& rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform= &sc=1070&hn=michigancitizen&he =.com

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 514
Posted From: 69.246.29.185
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS didn't stick a thing, that bill is DOA. The only endorsement that matters the legislatures and there's no way they'd pass the bill.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 451
Posted From: 69.242.214.135
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State Rep. Low-Life Lemmons III has about as good as chance of getting his bill out of committee as he does having hair grow back on his bald head.

Rep

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when I see it in September when we go back to the classrooms. I am NOT in favor of a strike but I also need to be able to live and cutting my pay (again) won't help that at all. DPS is world famous for saying one thing and doing another midstream. Any agreement they make with unions for our contract will be done at the 11th hour and we may go into overtime. There is word of a strike. It's a wait and see game.

Morena

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teacher strikes are against the law. If you strike you should be fired. I know my comment will make you angry but your threat of a strike makes me angry because the children get hurt.

Reform DPS and reform DFT. The DFT talks about strike when the district is already losing 10,000 students per year, has a $250 million deficit, has to close at least 100 more school buildings to right-size the district, and spends double and triple the costs on construction projects because contractors do as they please.

The district is sinking, everybody see's it, and no one is doing anything about it!

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2733
Posted From: 75.0.89.208
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee Ltorivia, between stories like the one below, sponsoring and promoting the "Sambo Awards", bogus reports about Hendrix during the campaign, bogus reports in support of the Fettig/Bowens cop killer, etc., how could "The Michigan Citizen" not be considered actual journalism? Then again all you have to say to back something up is that "you go to Northwestern". Your track record of lack of intellect, accuracy, and honesty speaks for itself of the U of M thread.

From last week's news:

Hey pastor, it's not Holly, either

Dick DeVos, a Republican businessman from western Michigan, probably doesn't expect a nod from the Council of Baptist Pastors of Detroit and Vicinity, the predominantly African-American group in Detroit with which he met recently for an endorsement interview.

But it would be a shame if he falls short because members think he has ties to the Ku Klux Klan.

DeVos was asked about such ties at the interview, and quickly and adamantly said "No" as supporters scratched their heads in wondering why the question was asked.

The answer came in last week's edition of the Michigan Citizen.

It quotes the questioner, identified as Pastor G., as saying he asked because DeVos' wife, Betsy DeVos, is from Howell, "a Michigan KKK stronghold."

Howell has made strides in living that reputation down but Betsy DeVos grew up in Holland, not Howell.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2734
Posted From: 75.0.89.208
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia, which one of these is worse as you posting it as actual proof of something?

An organization voting to support a bill (that has ZERO chance of passing) that forgives its own debt, introduced by a shady state rep. nonetheless.

OR

A student rating his/her own school (on a little-known website) as the best in the country.

OR

A school bio (describing it as one of the best) on a college sports website.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1161
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Howell has made strides in living that reputation down but Betsy DeVos grew up in Holland, not Howell."

The two towns have four similar characters in their names, so that makes it close enough for some rags.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2767
Posted From: 143.231.249.141
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state government should forgive DPS. Detroit Public Schools had a $100 million dollar surplus before the state took over the school system.

THE STATE MUST SHARE ITS RESPONSIBILITY.

Support this bill now!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2736
Posted From: 75.7.132.236
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or "my mom won't have a job"...I mean "it's all about the kids". :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1162
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Reform DPS and reform DFT. The DFT talks about strike when the district is already losing 10,000 students per year, has a $250 million deficit, has to close at least 100 more school buildings to right-size the district, and spends double and triple the costs on construction projects because contractors do as they please."

Don't forget the several thousands of lineal feet of brand new, high, chain-link fences that DPS had installed two years ago at several schools to replace perfectly good, but older, similar fences. And at a time when the district was on the verge of moral, financial, and academic bankruptcy.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 253
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
Teacher strikes are against the law. If you strike you should be fired. I know my comment will make you angry but your threat of a strike makes me angry because the children get hurt.
Morena: I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, when the union calls a strike, schools aren't open for anyone to even cross the picket lines. Even though I don't agree with striking, I don't have a job to go to during a strike. I was one who voted for a paycut and reduction in benefits for a year to help the district out by laoning them money just so we could get back to school on time.
I also agree that DPS is spending money on unnecessary items such as fencing (we were one of the schools to get a fence), etc.
I think the state should forgive the debt. I also think DPS needs to look at its spending on frivolous items. I do say it's all about the kids and am anxious to get back to work. I've never supported striking but what can one do when one is outnumbered by crazy people (such as Steve Conn, the ultra weirdo teacher at Cass who gets everyone's panties in an uproar with misinformation and manipulates folks into a strike). Everything needs revamping.

Morena

Post Number: 455
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW: These contractors helping to destroy DPS (in the name of supporting "our babies") are supposedly "Detroit Based Businesses".

The Board of Education makes it a point to support DBB's just like the City Council claims to do. The Board however, unlike the Council, ultimately decides who the contractors are. We're talking serious power and control over millions upon millions upon millions of dollars.

We're talking construction contractors, textbook vendors, technology vendors, architects, food vendors, supplies (paper, toilet paper, pens, pencils, etc.), transportation, consultants, and so on.

And WE allow every decision to be made by people like Marie Thornton, Annie Carter, Rev. David Murray, et al. That's why everyone looks at us like we're out of our rabbit ass minds!

Whether we like it or not, control of DPS should have been given to the Mayor. Mayor KK had the golden opportunity when he was a state rep. to give this authority to Dennis Archer but he refused because he didn't like Dennis Archer.

Detroit voters in turn rejected giving it to Mayor KK because they didn't trust him either.

In the meantime, DPS students 85% - 90% that are African-American, continue suffering. I swear that if I was a lawyer, I would file a class action lawsuit against the district charging them with educational negligence.

Maybe the DOJ can put DPS under a consent decree mandating reform. Something drastic has to occur.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 337
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
Unfortunately, when the union calls a strike, schools aren't open for anyone to even cross the picket lines.

Detroitteacher,
Not entirely true. During the first couple of days the schools are open to receive students. Administrators scramble to figure out what to do with the students who do show up. Other board employees are given 5 to 10 days before they are pink slipped.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2768
Posted From: 69.17.38.195
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Kwame Kilpatrick should have control? Puh-lease. He would have stole the money just like every other white-collar contractor steals money.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Not entirely true. During the first couple of days the schools are open to receive students. Administrators scramble to figure out what to do with the students who do show up.

Now that statement isn't true. Since teachers report to work days before kids, the strike is on days before kids arrive for instruction. The news reports about the strike prevent kids from coming to school. I have been through two strikes and each time, have reported to work and have been sent home by admin because of the strike (I don't walk picket lines because I don't believe in striking). No students were present to receive instruction because the official school year for them hadn't begun yet. NOW, in the case of blackboard flu (like the one that shut down 53 schools) that is the case. There are kids and no teachers. However, I was at work on each of the blackboard flu days (I don't believe in making a point to admin at the expense of the kids). Our school was open and stayed open despite DPS wanting us to close (I was in the office when Central Office called and told our Principal to close and he refused). We only had a few staff out (for legit reasons). We did, however, have only a handful of kids that day.
So in the case of a strike, there is no one to receive instruction therefore, I have no job to go to even though I don't believe in striking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.