Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Bronx Bar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 64.141.144.2
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to stir trouble, but I have heard RUMORS (to be assumed as ONLY rumors) of two cases of violent crime outside the bronx bar in the past few weeks. Are either of these verifyable? I don't want to elaborate, because i don't ACTUALLY think these things happened... I just want to make sure.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6432
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The corner of Alexandrine & Second has been a mess for a while. Shootouts and other violence.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1803
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't say shootouts, that implies gunfire back and forth for a period of time.

I would say shootings, and I only know of one, but I wouldn't be surprised to read about another.

I would also add that a lot of the illegal activity seems to be on the decline, even if the violence is up. I guess that there has been some kind of shake-up that is cause some sort of turf war.

There has been at least a bust or two. The fire is (or was) under investigation as an arson. There seems to be less drug related activity that lately than there was in the months before.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1186
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have heard of more than two cases of violent crime in the 2nd and prentis area in the past couple of years...

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6436
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked a friend of mine who is active in the Cass Corridor community to address crime around the Bronx. Here's what he wrote me:

Crime is not down in that area, and a condo in The Charles was broken into the other day, in broad daylight.

Drug activity may well be down (on that one particular corner) but that is due only to the police procedure of "wrap-around" when they increase patrols in an area immediately after a shooting. This is the second shooting there in a couple of months and follows several months of sporadic AK47 fire.

After YBI and, later, George Blair were taken out of the picture years ago, this sort of thing just didn't happen. Not so these days.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I know living on second and willis. Petty crime is up in the area quite a bit. The shootings are among people who know each other. They are not random acts. Now there is the occasional mugging, they seem to go in spurts. Crime is up when the economy is down, as a general rule in the neighborhood. We also had an attempted b&e in the middle of the day but was scared off.

If you mean violent by armed mugging then it is probably true. If it involved anything else, normally that gets spread through the grapevine and I havent heard anything.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4118
Posted From: 71.193.193.49
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use of an AK47 is a serious kind of violence, eh.

In 1963-65, jjaba attended Wayne State grad school and enjoyed The Bronx Bar. Yikes.

jjaba.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 670
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bronx is still a cool place, albeit a little dark.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 68.40.65.66
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work at the Corner of Alexandrine and Second (not at TomBoys! lol) but before the most recent shooting the cops brought in vans and carted away multiple drug people on the corner...so the decrease in drug related violence isnt just due to post shooting policing. However, there are still street walkers on the corner regularly. However, now that Springfield lofts are mostly complete and the Elmoore building will be rennovated into condos and a new 5-6 story building built on the adjacent lot on the corner of the intersection will put some pressure on the corner. Most of the shady buisness @ that corner can be attributed to the ghetto market tomboy's and the apartment building on the south side of Alexandrine like 2 buildings over from springfield...it will change

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As all places in cities do.

Whoever thought developers would build luxury lofts in the Cass Corridor?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 593
Posted From: 141.217.41.236
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn I almost moved into the Charles.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 68.248.75.129
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tell you there was a shooting reported in the press in the last two weeks at the tomboy.

I also have a friend over near 2nd and prentis who's witnessed pistols pulled on the unarmed. they were able to determine the type of pistol by the indentation in the persons temple. lovely

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 906
Posted From: 68.42.171.216
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/9505132/detail.html?subid =10100241

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1189
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i lived at second and prentis for 4 and a half years and never had an issue, though during the last year or so there I heard many second-hand armed, and unarmed, robbery stories from within just a block or two of that area. Its not why I moved, but I definetly don't miss that aspect of living there.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 353
Posted From: 69.246.19.24
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't they put a WSU cop out there all the time?? Seems like it is in their best interest to keep that area safe. I know it might cost a little money, but not as much as losing students to the (realistic) perception of violence.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10355
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AK47 fire, a few shootings, muggings, and day time break-ins. Still think I was the crazy one for getting a Concealed Pistol License? Would anybody like to tell thejesus on his gun thread that maybe getting his permit isn't such a bad idea after all?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.41.196.57
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely agree with muchchris. I think its extremely stupid not to put a great emphasis on keeping that area safe. That area should be a top priority. Good universities add a key ingredient to thiriving cities. I'm not saying that the area is more important to keep safe because of the school...ok well maybe I am.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 697
Posted From: 67.38.25.56
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity when did you moved you followed me out?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steel, I moved in mid/late january.

wmuchris, when i lived there i routinely saw wsu cops patrolling the area.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1690
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not saying that the area is more important to keep safe because of the school...ok well maybe I am.

Clearly the city should be spending more money keeping the people who live around the schools safe.

I mean, students pay so much in property taxes, and so much in income taxes.

Let's take more policing away from the neighborhoods -- you know the places where people own houses, and people who have jobs and families live.

Fuck those long-time, tax paying, committed residents -- if we want Detroit to thrive, we better make sure that no crime happens outside the Bronx.

Hipsters and students are going to save this city.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hipsters and students are going to save this city.

the latter much more than the former, yes.

how many of those newly educated individuals, with their educated pay scales do you think will stay to become taxpaying residents of this city if the city can't live up to a reasonable expectation of basic safety?

Dabirch

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people who have stuck with the city over the years are going to stay when their policing resources are diverted, and even the nice neighborhoods become dangerous?

I am all for making midtown more safe -- and WSU is a cornerstone of the area -- but if I can't get cops in my neighborhood, why would I support them protecting someplace that is geared toward transient residents?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guess I can't really argue with that. I wonder if there is a way to get more funding for the WSU Police (they are funded by the state or universtiy, not the city correct?) so that the DPD can be put to use elsewhere, outside the university area...

Deandub11

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant think of any thriving cities that do not have a thriving univeristy within the city. Detroit needs Wayne State to bring in students to the city. I understand the gripe that the neighborhoods need the officers and like gravity said, I cant argue with that. Either way, the city, and it doesnt seem as if they are, needs to keep that area safe. A better Wayne State will help create a better Detroit by creating research opportunities, bringin in young, smart, educated students, culture, diversity and money to the city.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deandub11 has a point. I went to Wayne State, graduated, started working downtown, moved downtown and then my wife and I bought a house in a city neighborhood. WSU does act as a catalyst for new educated tax-paying residents in the city.

But it still shouldn't be a priority. Everyone regardless of race, class or permanence deserves equal police protection.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 451
Posted From: 68.248.75.129
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think anyone is crazy for getting a permit and a concealed weapon. I just don't think that I would choose to live in a place where I felt I needed a piece wherever I went, given the ability to move someplace where the stakes of daily life aren't so high.

Supersport

Post Number: 10366
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from passing the Bronx and Tom Boys Grocery. No AK47 fire, though there was a hooker lookin' chick adjusting her clothing in the back alley, passed a few more apparent hookers and some shady cats hangin at the park at Seldon, but nobody was causing any trouble. Gets a bit shadier the further south you head, but still people are quite friendly. Many folks along the way smiled, said hi, and commented on the beautiful dog. Nobody shot at me or even tried to sell me drugs. I then cut down Seldon and took the walkway over. I ended my nightly walk bullet hole free....YAY!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 595
Posted From: 141.217.41.235
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport I'm about to follow suit.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabrich,

I notice sarcasm in your tone, but I think you are way off base. The University district should absolutely be a priority of the City of Detroit. What other source of new residents exists that is as big as the University? I demanded that the Wayne State University Police pay more attention to that area. Not the Detroit Police... (although I don't think that it is too much to ask). Neglecting the good neighborhoods is how so many got bad in the first place.

/quote{I mean, students pay so much in property taxes, and so much in income taxes.}

So if you propose that we ignore the problems around the university, and only protect the citizens keeping it real enough to "pay property taxes" or "income taxes," then you are opening up a whole other can of worms.

Your statement implies that the quality of police protection you get SHOULD reflect the amount of money you pay in taxes. Do I not deserve to be safe in this city because I don't own a home? Or should my police presence be better, because I work in the city and pay both an income and residency taxes?

I understand your desire to have safe neighborhoods as well. But your argument that the University district should not be a priority because of tax reasons does not hold water.

If we ever want to attract new citizens to the city we need to make sure that they feel safe enough in "supposedly" a safe university district.

Shootings within a half a mile of campus are going to have a lot more of a negative impact on potential educated people moving to the city than anything I can think of. And as a WSU student I would gladly bear my share of the burden in tuition to have a safe and thriving university district.

Increase police patrols here.. and educated people will feel comfortable moving further and further into the city.

Supersport

Post Number: 10368
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wondering if WMU realizes that THE University District is not anywhere near WSU.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops.. not what I meant. But the idea is the same.

Supersport

Post Number: 10369
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) That was a test.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WMU -

My tone was directed towards Deandub11's statement regarding the WSU district being more "important" than other neighborhoods.

That is just absolute bullshit.

If WSU wants to take their tuition dollars (not state funding) and use it to better patrol the neighborhood around it, than I have no objections to that.

However, to imply that the area needs to have better police protection (i.e. more city tax dollars spent there, and the draining of further resources from neighborhoods that are already tapped) because it is more importnat, than not only do I disagree, but I am highly offended.

Not quite sure why your safety, is more importnat than mine. You know me - homeowner, tax payer, family raiser, long time resident.

Yes, WSU is important, and yes, WSU should be safe. But to put forth a blanket statement that it is more important to keep it safe rings of such a false sense of elitist, pretentious, uneducated, bullshit that I had to make a comment.

Carry on.

Supersport

Post Number: 10372
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another AK47 involved in a shooting.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/9576479/detail.html

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 908
Posted From: 68.42.171.216
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Detroit, if you're young, black and like to live...your best bet is to leave the neighborhoods.

Deandub11

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabrich I agree with you. All neighborhoods deserve a completey safe environment.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 996
Posted From: 146.9.52.32
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe WSU should hire this guy.

http://www.local6.com/news/957 6365/detail.html

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- An elderly North Carolina man has shown that the cane can be mightier than the shotgun.

Police say 84-year-old Robert Flynn used his cane to fight off a mugger.

Investigators said it started when the mugger drove in front of Flynn's home in Greensboro Wednesday and asked him for a cigarette. When Flynn said he didn't have one, the mugger got out of his car, leveled a shotgun at Flynn and demanded money.

Instead of handing over his wallet, Flynn hit the shotgun with his cane and ran around the vehicle.

Police said the mugger returned to his vehicle and chased Flynn, again threatening him with the gun. This time, Flynn hit the mugger several times on the head and shoulders with his cane, sending his attacker back to his vehicle empty-handed.

The person left the scene -- empty-handed

(Message edited by Crew on July 26, 2006)

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 67.149.19.111
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting that people believe it is WSUPD responsibility to make the area of Seond/Prentis safe. WSUPD first repsonsibilty is to protect the Campus and the universities vistors,students and employees on the campus. That area is soley the responsibilty of DPD, and whatever extra WSUPD can do to help is appreciated. People need to take their complaints about the problems in that area to the Central District. They hold a monthly meeting at Mario's to discuss crime in the area. For information on those meetings call the central district community relations office at 596-1300.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In every other town that I have lived, the campus police jurisdiction extends to all of the places near campus where students live.
It is not uncommon to see campus police patrolling the student neighborhoods of Kalamazoo, East Lansing, etc.
Just saying...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 407
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth Wmuchris, when I lived on Lafayette, I much prefered dealing with KDPS than WMU Police.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Lafayette too. Knollwood. Man that street was awesome. Once I turned 21 I moved to the east side of campus to hit up the downtown bars.
Back to your point, the problems around campus in Kalamazoo are small compared to the problems here. Yet I recall seeing more than twice as many cops in Kalamazoo as I do here.

It is a bummer when a cop busts you doing a Keg stand.

Not such a bummer when a cop busts a potential robbery.
Go Broncos!

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 68.40.227.8
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets turn this into a WMU alumni page...how about some breakfast stew at Maggies after a night out at Waldo's!

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 530
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest mentioned that the Elmoore building will be renovated into condos. There is a 5 to 10 story building just West of Woodward on Alexandrine. It was recently abandoned and most of the aluminum windows have been stripped. Is this the Elmoore Building? I searched for the Elmoore using Google and yahoo but found nothing.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1199
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bibs, that is "70 west"

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 409
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walked to Maggies often (lived 6 houses down), never was a fan of the breakfast stew, but I did enjoy the "Impossible" or whatever it was called. It was not impossible.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waldo's was my favorite place in town. $6 mixed drink pitchers on thursdays. Oh man. Friday mornings were rough.

Maggies breakfast stew was fantastic... Order a large, eat half, save the rest for dinner. Stop on over for a Den Pop.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.