Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Shooting fallout dooms bar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3527
Posted From: 68.73.13.136
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not just a City issue anymore.

quote:

Negative publicity from a fatal shooting has forced the owners of the Post Bar in Clinton Township to shut down the business, which will be converted into a pizza parlor or steakhouse this fall.

http://www.macombdaily.com/sto ries/072406/loc_bar%20closed00 1.shtml

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It never was just a city issue, but shootings are typically less common in the suburbs.

On a perhaps semi-related note, I found out last night that one of my friends is moving their fencing business out of the city. After five break-ins in a two-month period, he's finally had enough. Guard dogs, steel-reinforced doors and barbed-wire fences couldn't keep intruders out. I highly doubt he'll have the same problem in South Lyon. It's a shame, but I can't say I blame him.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1686
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ironic that a guy with a fencing business can't build a big enough fence to keep his stuff secure...

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 869
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

------------------------------

way to make it a city vs. suburb issue.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6431
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post Bar in Clinton Township to shut down... will be converted into a pizza parlor or steakhouse this fall.

Since Justin Mello was killed at a pizza parlor in Clinton Township, I'm betting that they'll go with the steakhouse option.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not funny

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 71.65.18.109
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'sides Justin Mello was murdered in a Chesterfield Township Pizza Parlor I thought...

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3100
Posted From: 68.73.199.215
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was either Chet Township or New Baltimore.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6435
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apologies for my error.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3528
Posted From: 67.38.30.220
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

-----------------------------

way to make it a city vs. suburb issue.

Possibly I feel, it may be a societal issue, not limited to any geographical area?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure that kid was killed in New Baltimore.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1895
Posted From: 75.0.88.76
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The issue here is that people dwell in fear, and have a hard time going on with life after they get shocked. "You wouldn't want to go there, you know someone was shot there once..."

Fear of the city is what drove sprawl, and the general post-1950 neglect of major cities. Now, fear of occurences that are supposed to happen in big cities (according to ignorant people) but actually can happen anywhere, anytime, will drive more sprawl and general fallout like this. When will people learn to stop living in fear?...somehow New Yorkers overcame fear after 9/11 and went on with thier lives.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1721
Posted From: 69.209.137.27
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Mackinaw. Well said.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3517
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Post on Hayes had a sign up a while back saying it was closed for renovations. They might as well open the old one back up in Mt. Clemens. the one on hayes was quite possible the most popular bar in SE Michigan for the time it was open.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1445
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Key phrase: Closed for Renovations/remodeling. No bar is going to close for that. More than likely they are closed for good or the State closed them.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Royce.

There is an entire chain of Post Bars, right? Are there more in the suburbs?

Username: 1630

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Mackinaw's brave declarations, but the fact is that the crime data for Detroit is off the charts. If you ask folks who move - and this is now largely African Americans - why they moved from the city, almost invariably crime is cited. (By the way, wouldn't exit interviews for departing Detroiters be a wonderful idea.) These people are not taking out 200k plus mortgages based on an irrational fear, nor are they doing so based on racism.

There have been more than a dozen b & e's within a 1/4 mile radius of my home in the past month and the overwhelming majority took place in broad daylight. No arrests.

There's plenty of houses for sale in this area, so if anyone wants to put their money and family where their theory is, feel free to come.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7553
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What area?

While this should not happen and I don't blame people for moving I have to ask why nobody has organized a community watch.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rampant, uncontrolled crime i.e. breakins, especially when they aren't being dealt with by police or a community organization, are something to be scared of to be sure.

A murder like this often does not repeat itself in the same place, nor are murders usually random acts.

The more I think about, the more the violence at the Post may be a cop out. Perhaps their marketing strategy was wrong. According to the MD they were targeting affluent young adults. But even affluent young adults from Macomb probably don't make a habit of going to a bar which resembles nothing in particular. Indeed, bars are supposed to have character, and this place, which looks from the picture like it could be an Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or any other commercial strip-type store for that matter, doesn't look like anything someone would come back to repeatedly to spend their good money on drinks. It certainly does not look like the old corner watering hole to me, and if you have to drive your car to get there, and there are no other attractions nearby to help you pass the time if you do want to drink heavily, then that sounds like a bar which is poised to go out of business.

Username: 1630

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get so tired of the rhetoric about community organizations. We have a very strong and very active community organization; what we lack is any measurable or effective police presence. Community organizations do not have arrest powers, nor are they armed.

If you think Neighborhood Watch is going to save Detroit, please think again. There's no substitute for cops. Just ask all those suburban sport fans who attend games downtown how safe they'd feel if it was just neighbors watching!

This is a little off the stated topic anyway and I apologize for that.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7554
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with what you said and belive that the police need to be more vigilant and work closer with the citizens but having a presence and being out in the neighborhood does help deter some crime.

May I ask again -what neighborhood. I understand that you may not want to post it but could you e-mail it to me. jt1_detroit@yahoo.com

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10349
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shooting at the fireworks a few years ago...people
came back

Shooting outside of X/S and Oslo....people came back

Shooting outside the State Theatre while I sat in a cab....continues to be hottest club in Detroit

Young woman shot during Super Bowl Winter Blast....people came back, even more than the night before

Shootings happen....possibly slightly more often around here than most other cities. A shooting doesn't kill your business though. You may see a drop off for a short while, but people come back. What happens when a bar dies is that some other new trendy place opened up near by and took their business. This shooting nor the publicity it may have received was not what closed this place. People simply moved on to the next trendy place.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 819
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shootings keep people from moving back to Detroit... among others things.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10351
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? That's funny, because every passing weekend it gets busier downtown.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 821
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the neighborhoods that are far from downtown!

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place that Justin Mello's was murdered in was in New Baltimore and it has closed. I think they ended up moving the business to a different location. It is hard for a business to survive after something like that happens.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, SS. That's sort of what I pointed out on another thread discussing our increasing murders for this year, and the increasing murder totals of other cities which also remain vibrant (much to the suprise of some, I guess).

The worst neighborhoods will probably continue to empty due to violence, but the losses will be offset by the reclaiming of and reinvestment in so many other neighborhoods, many of which were once riddled with violent crime, and still have occasional problems.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 594
Posted From: 141.217.41.236
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend who was at the Post that night. I had been there a few times and got a terrible vibe from it. Really Bland place. But the folks in Clinton Township (where i was raised) know no better. The shooting was a big cause of the demise, and there is the same bar in Mt. Clemens which is a bit more happening.... not much, just a bit.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 881
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Shooting at the fireworks a few years ago...people came back

Shooting outside of X/S and Oslo....people came back

Shooting outside the State Theatre while I sat in a cab....continues to be hottest club in Detroit

Young woman shot during Super Bowl Winter Blast....people came back, even more than the night before

the common element in all of the above: partying.

what's missing from that perspective? people who wish to find a starter home or dream home, have their children, send them to public schools, and invest their gains and civic leadership back into the community - all in the same place! detroit needs to attract - besides bar patrons - people who believe that community pride is built upon successive generations of folks who wish to build a name and a reputation, and leave a legacy of character, wisdom, and industry.

quote:

Shootings happen....possibly slightly more often around here than most other cities. A shooting doesn't kill your business though. You may see a drop off for a short while, but people come back. What happens when a bar dies is that some other new trendy place opened up near by and took their business. This shooting nor the publicity it may have received was not what closed this place. People simply moved on to the next trendy place.

well...good news for bars, i suppose...don't freak out about shootings or murders!

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 742
Posted From: 69.209.182.243
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys have a thick skin; San Jose had 29 murders the last year I lived there. That strikes me as "normal" for a city of million people.

The homicide here is off the charts; I wish I knew how to stop it.

Odessa
Username: Odessa

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 69.216.105.119
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime in Detroit has shot through the roof...And why not in the burbs? Detroit has 1236 unfilled police officer positions, add in the recent closure of 6 precincts. A perfect formula for criminals. Last night the Northwestern District, formerly the Sixth Precinct, and now encompassing the Sixth and Eighth precincts (32 square miles) had over 150 waiting,unassigned police runs at midnight. Typically the are 75-100 unassigned runs on a week night. To all of you who have voted for Kwame....well you got what you voted for.

(Message edited by odessa on July 24, 2006)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1048
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray-
Agreed. While San Jose may actually be "low" (1 is too many) for such a large city, being on pace for 460 is just RIDICULOUS.

I often wonder what the biggest things are. Is it police (fight the symptoms) or jobs (fight the cause) or something else or a combination of all these things? How do you get more police? If there are 1236 unfilled police positions, how do you fill them?

At some point, do you just give up? If it isn't the murders its the crimes (Blondy's trash cans, others flowers, fence company mentioned in this thread).

I love Detroit. I often think of returning. Then I think I'm nuts and I should just stay put.

Just curious, where are you living now?

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 669
Posted From: 68.41.93.235
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside a CVS today, a friend of mine was leaving work when a man was shot (survived) in the neck over a pair of shoes. The man shot was without shoes as the other ran away before police can get to the scene.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was gonna point that out SS. It seems that if there is shooting or violence downtown more people go to the establishment!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4645
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw the POST BAR! I'm going to any of those place after what it did the Madison Theater building. The new owners have to fix the entire building for the Super bowl.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1447
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS is right, the shooting had nothing to do with the closure. It was just the reason they gave. It couldn't be the shitty establishment, fines and fees or other establishments.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.