Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » When someone steals your trash can..... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1059
Posted From: 68.77.163.16
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone stole the trash can from the dog daycare (GROSS!!!!)I am SO SICK of shit getting stolen. Someone please tell me one day this neighborhhood will get better.....

Anyways, in case YOUR trash can ever gets stolen, this is what you have to do.....

The unit also replaces stolen or excessively damaged containers. When your container requires repair (e.g., wheel, handle, or lid replacements), this unit provides the required repair services only if the placement fee has been paid. You may call our 311 Call Center at 311 or (313) 224-INFO (4636) to request container repair services or a replacement container.

Stolen containers must first be reported to the Police Non-Emergency Reporting Section (313) 267-4600. You will be assigned a police report number. Secondly, call our 311 Call Center at 311 or (313) 224-INFO (4636) to request a replacement container. The Assistance Center will ask for your police report number when recording your request.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10348
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbor got their trash can stolen a few weeks ago, but it appears they have either found it or it was returned.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 68.41.196.57
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What neighborhood do you live in just out of curiosity

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am SO SICK of shit getting stolen.

...you mean it was full when they stole it??!! Where does someone fence a dumpster load of dog shit???

Seriously, though. I wish I could say something to make your irritation go away; but I know it's things like this that can wear one's spirit down. I'm sorry it happened.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1707
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about the theft. That is one of the frustrating things about Detroit, the petty thefts. I've got a list an armlength long of stuff I've had stolen, from the inexpensive to the very expensive.

In the residential neighborhoods, I've found painting the address of your home on the can keeps it from getting stolen. In your case painting the name of your business might help too. You can use stencils to make it nice looking. It's pretty difficult to use the can somewhere else when the address and business name don't match up.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 69.136.140.132
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos, even in that case, painting the numbers didn't stop our neighbors across the street to take our can and fill it up with leaves and rubbish.

I pretty much emptied out a quarter of the thing back on their lawn, put our garbage in it, then rolled it back across the street to it's correct side.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 66.174.79.233
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the pettiness is ridiculous. I once had some VERY old and messed up boots that I used to wear to do yardwork sitting on the front porch of my mother's house. I was in the kitchen, which looks out on the front of the house. A crackhead ran up to the side of the front porch, right in front of the kitchen window, and was trying to steal them. I snuck up to the front window and SCREAMED: "GET THE FU** OUT OF HERE!" He almost sh** his pants.

It was priceless.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1060
Posted From: 68.77.163.16
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The address was painted on there in giant numbers in bright orange paint. All of the trash bags were in the alley, so I do not know if they emptied it out or what.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 597
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of petty theft..

a friend of mine had some hanging flower pots on her light pole in front of the house and those were stolen AND THIS YEAR she planted some flowers and came out and someone DUG UP HER FLOWERS with a shovel and stole them WTF

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1015
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, flowers are always one of the first things that get stolen. Same with sod.

Someone I know had the flowers stolen from her father's grave from a cemetary in Detroit (can't remember which one). Now that's twisted.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 528
Posted From: 69.209.147.12
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fellow forumers,

These are exactly the type of crimes that affect the majority of people who lives or do businesses in the city. You may not be a homicide victim or assault victim or rape victim, but petty theft ..... it happens way too often under the radar.

Blondy, I know you have done all you could have done to ensure your business and your property continues to prosper in the neighborhood. Just as the graffiti situation on your building not too long ago, this trash can problem is just another annoyance that many residents and business owners struggle with.

Hang in there, Blondy, you have already overcame most of the challenges being tossed at you.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 345
Posted From: 68.60.139.30
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my hanging plants stolen from my house a year ago on Mother's Day.

Yesterday I caught four neighborhood kids in the back yard of my neighbor's house picking apples from their tree and throwing them at the back windows of the house. My neighbor wasn't home, so I went out and tried to talk some sense into them. Yeah right! These 12 year old kids just gave me attitude. Luckly only one storm window was smashed.

Hey Blondy, if you need a can, I have an extra you're welcome to.

(Message edited by Chub on July 21, 2006)

K_solomon
Username: K_solomon

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 199.178.223.4
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Someone I know had the flowers stolen from her father's grave from a cemetary in Detroit (can't remember which one). Now that's twisted.

This has happened to me too. Dug the flowers up, and planted them about 4 or 5 graves up. Despicable.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1030
Posted From: 70.227.217.146
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glock

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 810
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in Detroit (back in the late 70's) , we had Christmas lights stolen from the bushes in front of our house.
After the house was broken into, my parents moved to the burbs.
They've never had a problem since.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 448
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a few comments:

1. Flower Plants/Hanging Plants. Use wire to lock them to the hooks that the plants hang from. They'll still be able to steal them if someone really wants them bad enough. The wires really help though.

2. Garbage Cans. Put them out the night before and get them back off the street immediately after the garbage is collected. This doesn't give anyone enough time to steal them.

I've never heard about someone stealing plants already in the ground - Man I would pissed to come home and find my hastas, day lillies, and burning bushes ripped out of the ground.

I had my garden hose attached to a reel stolen too. Everytime I drive down my surrounding streets, I look for my hose.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmmm....interestingly, no one seems to be blaming the theft on the can owner this time!

:-)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 67.38.25.56
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand i moved honestly because i couldnt handle my stuff getting stolen so i sympathize.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 200.65.7.98
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroiters chain up their trash can.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1165
Posted From: 69.14.251.28
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters chain up everything.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one of my cans stolen a few years ago so I talked to the garbage truck driver about it. A few weeks after buying a new one he brought it back after recognising a paint stain on it. He also let me know who had it so I could seek revenge =). Needless to say they received a Christmas tip that year and have ever since.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4984
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yep, had this happen at Woodmere. That's why now we always plant flowers on Memorial Day when we're there instead of a couple days ahead of time.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years back, students had a fundraiser to buy florals for the outside of the building. They came in on a Saturday to do cleanup work and to plant them. On Monday, they were gone. The kids were diappointed, to say the least. Every last flower had been dug up, including a tree that the alumni association purchased for them to plant. The kids worked hard to buy the flowers and to clean up and plant them.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 227
Posted From: 67.38.24.68
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the lighter side...
Willy the Cat burgler is at it again!

http://articles.news.aol.com/n ews/_a/willy-the-cat-burglar-s teals-gardening/20060720225909 990001?cid=936

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 315
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe there is actually a black market for Detroit trash cans. I found this wanted ad on Craigslist.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ wan/186232665.html

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1046
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would people dig up and steal flowers?! What the heck do they do with them?!

Stories like this really bother me. Items like this shouldn't happen on a regular basis, and they do. There is only so much someone can take before they give up. Enough is enough.

How do you fix something like this? I know it isn't just 1 thing, but there has to be something there that would cause people to steal flowers out of the ground.....

Really makes me sad. The thing is, the people who get stolen from are probably the ones who care most about their home and their neighborhood. Otherwise their place would have weeds for a front yard, like so many homes do. It shouldn't be that for those who take pride in their home and neighborhood are the ones that this happens to.

I'm sorry Blondy. I really am. :-(

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1244
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnnny5 offers the most practical advice on this thread. If your trash can had big orange lettering on it, ask the driver if he's seen a can like that anywhere on his route... you never know.

Beyond that, the next step is to install Lojack on your Courville. (Sorry.) Though seriously, it would be pretty cool if/when technology gets to the point where you can buy a device for 10 bucks with a battery that lasts for a year, which will let you track its location from another device.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1053
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until the criminals rip out the tracking device or remove the battery....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.