Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Warsaw Park... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 729
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the 1920 through 1960's Warsaw Park was a Detroit institution located at 22 Mile Rd. and Dequindre. This was back in the days of family and ethnic picnics on the weekends that included eating, music, dancing and "up hill" motorcycle racing. Does anyone have any memories to share and if anyone has any photos of Warsaw Park that would be great because I couldn’t find any anywhere.

Livedog2

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1330
Posted From: 66.2.148.155
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got this on the second google hit:

http://shelbyhistory.tripod.co m/id33.html

Username: 1953

Post Number: 916
Posted From: 4.165.78.195
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. That place sounds perfect. Someone should reopen that place.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2470
Posted From: 4.229.105.89
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right next to the Polish ethnic park was Swiss Valley Park, the German equivalent. I remember going there in the 60's and 70's for German festivals with brass bands and German food vendors.

There was a creek that ran between the 2 parks... and nearby was the infamous Berlin & Ferrill (sp?) toxic waste dump, supposedly one of the worst that ever existed in Michigan, probably leeching chemicals into the 2 parks....

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aerial View of Warsaw Park as it appeared on April 28, 1949 (courtesy of the DTE Aerial Photo Collection).
Warsaw Park, April 28, 1949

Livedog2

Post Number: 730
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the link you provided, Hornwrecker It mentioned a

quote:

“Mr. Ed Konstantywich, Manager of Radio Station WJBK, with about 20 to 24 actors, would present plays on Saturdays and Sundays. They were two hour plays of music, drama and humor. This went about four or five years until Mr. Konstantywich went to Poland on a visit. While on the visit he died of a heart attack. The stage plays died with him.”

This was great entertainment that Mr. Konstantywich orchestrated for so many years. He was a force in the Polonia Community in Detroit with his Radio Shows on WJBK, Polish Dance Troupes, Entertainment at all of the Polish venues in Detroit and Hamtramck, Essay & Polish Grammar Contests and Polish Princess and Queen Pageants.

The attached photo was taken at the PNA (Polish National Alliance) Hall at 10211 Conant in Hamtramck on January 28, 1961. The event was the Coronation Ball for the crowning of the “Queen of the Mlody Teatr.” And, left to right in the front row are Marsha Lewandowski the “Queen of the Mlody Teatr” for the year before in 1960, Mr. Ed Konstantywich the MC of the Program, the newly crowned “Queen of the Mlody Teatr” Alfreda Grygiel and some unidentified man.
queen

Gistok you said,

quote:

"Right next to the Polish ethnic park was Swiss Valley Park, the German equivalent. I remember going there in the 60's and 70's for German festivals with brass bands and German food vendors."

That was a great park, too. And, you are right the creek that ran between the two, I think, was a tributary of the Clinton River and yes it was terribly polluted.

And, of course just up the road was Bloomer State Park overlooking Rochester Hills and off to the east was the Yates Cider Mill. These are all really great memories for me!

Any additional, personal photos would be great to see.

Livedog2

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 207.230.140.240
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to many a polka party at Warsaw in the 70's. Since our family was scattered all around the burbs, it was a great way to get all of the aunties and cousins and such together. While the parents were in the bandshell listening and dancing, us kids went into the hills area. I remember lots of paths all through the woods. I also remember a small old shed that had an old rail track. When you're a kid, anywhere was a great place to play.

If you look at the aerial photo, we used to park on the right side of the bandshell, near the bend in the creek.

I remember playing in those hills. That was always fun. I also remember running through all of the parked cars and picnic setups. One time, someone left their HOT coals on the ground, and yours truly (barefooted) ran over them. I can still see the blisters in my mind.

What is there now?

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 206.191.33.61
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory wrote:

quote:

What is there now?

Oddly, the round canopy is still there, though suburbia is encroaching from all sides:
Warsaw Park at Google Maps

Waltzing in Ottawa.

Livedog2

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 71.10.61.35
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, 220hendrie1910! I wonder if anyone has any current photos of that dance pavillion? Better yet, I wonder if anyone has any old photos of that dance pavillion back in it's heyday. Great memories!

Livedog2

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.