Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Lafayette/Fort-Shelby « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any updates/inside information on the Lafayette Building and Fort-Shelby?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 889
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't heard anything, but I would be interested as well. I get questions about these projects on these projects on my PW Downtown tour.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6400
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette is at an impasse. Don't expect any news for a while.

Fort-Shelby is still being inspected. If it goes well, the funding is in place and the developers are ready to go to work. They just want to avoid unexpected problems like the BC.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 68.41.196.57
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does an impasse in this situation mean?

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 69.14.248.252
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It means the developer is probably pissed that he didn't get what he wanted on the east riverfront deals and is getting cold feet with this deal, or trying to wrangle some other concessions out of the city or DEGC.

I know nothing about what is really going on.

I'm serious.

I know nothing.

I'm not being coy.

I really don't know.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1606
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But you say it like you know! Image is everything.

Maybe.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1699
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt is right that the impasse likely means some funding issues and the developer is looking for a handout of some sort from the city. Could be unexpected expenses that came up after a building inspection. Or it could be the deal was based on too many concessions that DEGC is not willing to give out.

Another issue could be zoning issues. Title problems could be a factor, but I'm guessing a deal this big would have that aspect already covered before it got to this stage.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pics from the companie's website from the Fort Shelby

http://4elm.com/photos.html

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 592
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is from the 4 Elm company website

Press notice - June 6 2006
For immediate release
Environmental Liability Management Corporation (ELM Corporation)

ELM Corporation Awarded Exclusive Environmental Contract of the Fort Shelby Hotel Rehabilitation
Hamburg, Michigan, USA, June 6, 2006 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- ELM Corporation known as Environmental Liability Management Corporation announced today that it was awarded the exclusive environmental contract of the Fort Shelby Hotel Rehabilitation. ELM Corporation will begin the project by performing environmental hazard surveys including Asbestos, Lead, Mold, and Universal Waste to define the existing environmental site conditions. ELM’s future responsibilities will include but not be limited to: Abatement Specification Development, Abatement Bid Administration, Abatement Oversight, Abatement Air Monitoring, Abatement Operations Monitoring as well as the Abatement Project Closure and Reporting.

The Fort Shelby Hotel is a 22-story residential and commercial historic redevelopment in downtown Detroit. The hotel was originally constructed in two phases: the original 10-story building was built in 1916, and the 22-story addition in 1927. The redevelopment will modernize the original structure while retaining its historic quality.

The residential portion of the project includes approximately 97,500 gross square feet of building area, approximately 80,400 square feet of which will be rental space. There will be 62 one to three bedroom apartments on floors 11 through 21 and one 2,272 square foot penthouse on the 22nd floor with a private terrace. The hotel portion of the project, to be managed by Doubletree Guest Suites with a suite concept by Hilton Hotels, includes approximately 243,200 gross square feet with 204 guestrooms, plus 2,347 square feet of new space for back of house uses.

ELM addressed the developer’s need for thorough environmental hazard surveys, but went a step further, by taking into account their broader objectives. ELM’s forward thinking was to develop an overall environmental management plan to help gather and remedy the existing environmental site conditions.

The surveys and environmental management plan will help to secure financing and turn the property around financially thereby protecting the value of the investment.

ELM differentiated itself by providing:

Independent Professionals—ELM is not affiliated with any abatement or remediation company
Multi disciplined assessors—combining surveys to save time and money
Project Management—the project manager has 20 years experience
ELM’s exclusive handling of all environmental consulting and environmentally related management of the Fort Shelby Rehabilitation Project develops and maintains a total picture of the existing environmental site conditions and their remedy. The Developer Is receiving maximum benefits by conducting the hazardous materials surveys concurrently. In addition, the continuity gained by using ELM Corporation as the sole source for environmental management will save time and money.

ELM Corporation and its affiliates are environmental consultants and contractors with offices throughout the State of Michigan. Services offered are: Environmental Project Management, Asbestos Surveys, Hazardous Materials Surveys, Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, Phase II Environmental Site Assessments, Baseline Environmental Assessments (BEAs), Risk-Based Corrective Action (RBCA), Storage Tank Assessments, Environmental Management Systems, Remediation, Reclamation and Rehabilitation, Brownfield Redevelopment, and other environmental services. ELM is Michigan’s fastest growing environmental corporation.

SOURCE: Environmental Liability Management Corporation (ELM Corporation)
CONTACT (USA) : Phone 810-231-1229, Fax 810-231-1337, 888-744-4ELM, emailelm@4elm.com Web site: http://www.4elm.com

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 844
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always assumed the Lafayette hasn't gone forward yet because it was waiting on the Book Cadillac deal to come to fruition. No BC means no adjacent parking structure, which the Lafayette project is dependent on for parking. That's the way I understood it. But then again, I am not an insider. I'm really just guessing. I don't know nearly as much as Matt the duece knows. :-)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6412
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<----------------

E_Hem, e-me.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 659
Posted From: 69.14.248.252
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_Hem, let me know what you find out.

I don't know what's really going on.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6415
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_Hem, lett Matt find out by dragging his ass to FSC.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.