Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit to join Woodward Dream Cruise « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1235
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 0717/SUB/60714046/1033

Excerpt:

quote:

Groups push to add Detroit events to Woodward Cruise
By Sherri Begin
6:00 am, July 17, 2006

It’s taken 12 years, but the Motor City may finally become part of the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise.

When the cruise began, it spanned Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, Berkley, Huntington Woods, Royal Oak, and Birmingham. It since has expanded northward to Pontiac, but hasn’t moved south of Eight Mile Road.

Now, Detroit Synergy, a nonprofit dedicated to revitalizing Detroit, is planning a road tour of seven historic automotive sites along Woodward Avenue in Detroit on Aug. 19, the day of the cruise.

Details of the road tour still are being finalized, but cars would check in at Palmer Park, the site of the first mile of concrete highway in the U.S. They would continue on to sites including the Model T Automotive Heritage Complex, which comprises the Piquette Plant, the birthplace of the Model T; and Campus Martius, where the first electric traffic light was erected.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 67.38.83.5
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Detroit Synergy! It is about time Detroit got involved.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 366
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How very Detroit...having 2 separate cruises.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1002
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was never a part of the dream cruise because back in the good old days most of the cruising went on north of 8 mile. You know, where there were less cops and less people to hit when you did your drunken burnouts.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1679
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...when you did your drunken burnouts...

I always thought you had a thing for doing drunken burnouts.

I used to think your boyfriend was a drunken burnout until I got to know him...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the "brothers only" car show on Woodward?

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I always thought you had a thing for doing drunken burnouts.

I used to think your boyfriend was a drunken burnout until I got to know him...

Well, at least not a burnout...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1236
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They're not really that separate. They're on the same day (which is most important), so that you could continue down along Woodward from the suburban Dream Cruise, crossing 8 Mile and hitting the various points on the road tour (Palmer Park, Piquette Plant, etc).

Sure, this was started by a different group, but I imagine if it was successful, it might be merged with the official Dream Cruise Inc activities sometime in the future.

Of course, a lot of people will probably stick with the original cruise route, especially this first year, but I would guess that some will try both.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1796
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

??

What separate cruises?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't see the part about it not being part of the Dream Cruise, having a 2 mile gap in the "cruise map", having separate registration, etc?

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe--this sounds just like the transit system

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 865
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two events are different enough where they could compliment each other.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 141.217.214.203
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It IS the transit system.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1797
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think your all misunderstanding the term "check in."

I believe it means stop by, or check out, or swing through. And that "2 mile gap" is really little more than a mile, and it is not a gap, there is no historical site worth programming between 8 mile and palmer park.

Basically what this whole thing means it that cruisers will have something to do if they cross 8 mile.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And everybody in a Toyota can join in the cruise too.

The official Toyota cruise starts on Woodward and heads directly south of Jefferson. Just keep going south. Don't stop for anything.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1425
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been thinking about this news since it was posted. As much as I love our automotive heritage...the Woodward Dream Cruise is a day to celebrate the cars and the engines...not the factories or the people or associated sites.

I have to ask how many of the Detroit Synergy folks have spent the day at the Woodward Dream Cruise checking out the various events and exhibits and experiencing it.

Having attended 10 of the 11 Woodward Dream Cruises held to date, I know that many people who attend the Cruise tend to set up camp in the morning and then stay in that same general area all day, walking a mile or so either direction.

Car clubs set up spots for their members who park their car and then sit back to watch the cars going by or walk up and down Woodward checking out the cars that are parked and the vendors and exhibits that are along the way.

Many classic car owners take their cars out to cruise Woodward in the days leading up to Saturday or first thing Saturday morning because later in the day, Woodward is just too congested (usually with nonclassic cars) and so their cars overheat.

Absolutely I would love to take a tour of the automotive heritage sites up and down Woodward on a Saturday but not on Dream Cruise Saturday!

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 308
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kathleen...dsg tried to get in touch with the dream cruise people fairly early. maybe not early enough for their liking, but not just last month either. they didn't want to have anything to do with trying to extend it into detroit or working with dsg in any way. and basically, the project leader and organizers had to make do with the resources and connections they had, and also take into account what they were capabale of handling. it has been an on-going battle for the project leader to get it off the ground, and this is the first project she has ever done with the orgnization, so i have to give her a lot of credit for just not giving up. and her hope is that if enough awareness is raised about wanting to bring it into the city, that maybe next year the dream cruise people will do that and hopefully want to partner with dsg.

there is another component to the event that wasn't mentioned in this article, and i am pretty sure that's a definite thing...but in case it's not (because i did hear there was a possible slight snafu with it) i won't mention it right now.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valkyrias...I have no doubt that DSG has their heart in the right place, but I had to raise my concerns that they haven't looked at the situation from all angles. Not only am I concerned that the tour such as they are planning isn't what the Cruise is all about, but in addition, there is a financial obligation placed upon all the participating communities from Ferndale on up to Pontiac. Each of the communities involved in the Cruise represent their city as a whole because the city has to commit to and provide the funding to ensure a safe environment and that means police and fire department participation (and in several communities, a lot of overtime for the week leading up to the Cruise) plus the local department of public works because that many people results in lots of trash and garbage.

Of course, I have no idea to what extent DSG has investigated and discussed the myriad of issues that I read about every year in our local newspapers (Mirror, Reader, Tribune, Oakland Press). I only hope that a couple DSG members participating in the project have experienced the Woodward Dream Cruise fully...and I mean being out there on Thursday evening through Friday and all day Saturday and up and down the whole route to really see what it is about.

That said, I would sign up for their proposed tour on another Saturday...maybe they could consider offering as an add-on to PW's Auto Heritage Tour on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month!

Valkyrias

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you make good points kathleen...i do see what you are saying. it does take a lot from each city to participate and this is an event that has been going on for a long time now. and while i can't say for sure that anyone on the project team has had a full dream cruise experience, i am sure most have a pretty decent idea of how things go. and i think the leader has been very thorough with her research...i've seen her 2 inch binder filled with articles and internet print outs and so on! she's been beyond dedicated to making this a reality.

well, we'll see how it goes...i think they are banking on people wanting to take a break from the cruise for a couple hours. ya just never know!

Michael
Username: Michael

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 67.38.18.67
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and i think the leader has been very thorough with her research...i've seen her 2 inch binder filled with articles and internet print outs and so on!

maybe she watched an informative, instructional video on organizing and running such an event. I'm sure there's such a video. video's can be very helpful.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 69.212.57.249
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see how extending the cruise should be a problem. In fact making it longer might releive the traffic some. I doubt you'd have to register if you didn't want to, but they might provide a map of points of interest.

Detroit has already has a lot of experience with traffic control such as E. Jefferson Crusing on the weekends. I'm sure the police and fire have been notified.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But can we afford the police presence that it will cost to handle an actual cruise? Doubtful. Should we? Nope.

All of the suburbs from Ferndale up to Pontiac have every available police officer, auxilary officer, firefighter and DPS clean-up crew working the Dream Cruise weekend. Detroit just doesn't have that capability at this moment. And before someone else points it out, I know that there are a lot of police on the streets during baseball, football and hockey games but the Cruise is completely different.

Of course the road tour is a good idea, kind of like a crusie for the history buffs who would rather not go look at the cars. But except for being on the same weekend, they don't seem all that connected.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10338
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i think they are banking on people wanting to take a break from the cruise for a couple hours. ya just never know!

Has she ever actually driven in the cruise? A lap all the way north to Pontiac down to 8 mile will take you about 4-6 hours, if you start early enough in the day. By evening, forget about it, you'll never make a full lap before they close Woodward down. While it may look good on paper, it won't work in reality. The cruise has become the worlds biggest traffic jam/parking lot. Fortunately, it at least contains a lot of cool cars in the mess.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Has she ever actually driven in the cruise?"

didn't i just finish saying that i don't know what their exact experience is with the dream cruise?

maybe i should have been a bit clearer about my comment, i think they are banking on the non die- hards wanting to take a break from the cruise. and regardless if that loop will take 1 or 4 hours to get through, people don't HAVE to drive the entire loop just to get to detroit, there is such a thing as freeways and major streets that, beleive it or not, all lead INTO the city!!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 611
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?:
For historical purposes only (ya, sure you betcha. It's to revive my flaging memory), anyone got a copy of a North Woodward Timing Association decal they can scan?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of the Wookward Dream cruise we should all vote YES next August 8, 2006.

Then, we can start a new dream cruise but instead of having cars, we can have buses and light rail on Woodward. And dream that someday we will actually have a world class public transit system that will connect all major destination points together at a very reasonable cost to the taxpayes.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2939
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dream Cruise is a recent addition to the Detroit Summer scene and it originally clashed with the African World Festival, which normally brought in a good 800,000 or so over the entire weekend.

The all of the festivals down town have diminished over recent years and thus police presence has dropped some dowtown, making the such an event possible for dpd to do its thing at a Dream cruise

Kathleen

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In today's Detroit Free Press:

MOTOR CITY JOURNAL: Cruise on over, Detroit says: Car show, tour planned around Woodward event

"Although the Detroit events are not officially sanctioned by the Dream Cruise board, members of the Detroit Synergy volunteer organization have taken it upon themselves to schedule a car show in and around Campus Martius on Thursday, Aug. 17, and a tour of auto-related history sites along Woodward Avenue on Saturday, Aug. 19 -- the day of the cruise."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060721/NEW S05/607210360

Kathleen

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just noticed that the article's associated tour map PDF mentions the Detroit Historical Museum as a stop for its auto assembly line exhibit and other auto related exhibits...but the Museum is closed starting July 24 through September 29 for building and exhibit upgrades.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy that the cruise is coming 2 Detroit. Now if we can get the city and community leaders to fix up (or tear down) that apartment building across from Palmer Park. Now, going thru Highland Park will be something interesting.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to shed some light on some of the financial aspects of the Woodward Dream Cruise for the cities from 8 Mile north through Birmingham...

From today's Daily Tribune:

Sponsors, rentals help cities ride out Cruise

"Most cities just hope to break even.
Property rentals and business sponsors are putting cities on the road to financial stability when it comes to hosting the world's largest one-day classic car parade. Some communities even hope to make a small profit to offset next year's costs.
..."

http://www.dailytribune.com/st ories/072506/loc_cruise001.sht ml

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 69.246.46.45
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone has made some very good points. In terms of not having the infrastructure required to support an event of this magnitude however, (whether we do or not) I don't believe it will be an issue (yet). As was pointed out, most cruisers are there for the cars and don't have enough interest in the abundance of automotive history that lies only a few miles south. That's not to say that there won't be enough interest among enthusiasts to get the event off the ground though. Alot of the collectors/cruisers that the tour portion of this event would likely attract are those who own restored cars of an earlier vintage (pre- 1930). These are mostly enthusiasts of a different breed, whose cars have roots linked more directly to the city and the stops on the tour, rather than the stretch of woodward that was frequented by kids in muscle cars in the 60's. So, hopefully this will add to the event's success.

Now, that said, I've been attending the cruise since its first year and have only missed two. I take my charger (the real kind, with TWO doors) out every night during the week that preceeds dream cruise saturday, but in recent years have stopped taking my car to the "dream parking-lot" on the actual day of the cruise because it over-heats (and so do I, surrounded by black vinyl and no a/c). Instead, I just park and walk around - Kathleen hit the nail right on the head -

Now I have a great alternative to the traffic jam and will actually be able to let my car flex it's muscle on woodward on saturday. (without being the only classic car south of 8 mile).

So, this event has my full support and, if everything goes according to plan, I will be in attendance. My only concerns are that some of the (mostly) old timers who own the early automobiles will be afraid to venture into detroit for the event. Hopefully that won't be too much of an issue - campus martius will be a really cool venue for a car show...also - will the extensive roadwork/repaving in highland park be finished in time?

Anyways - I really hope that enough people share my sentiments - I've always wanted the cruise to extend into the MOTOR CITY!

(Message edited by designut on July 26, 2006)

(Message edited by designut on July 26, 2006)

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 64.7.188.183
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe the detroit cops will put black moriah in the dream cruise- this was a "special" ride they used for patrolling in troublesome areas- ha ha ha
good luck-

Kathleen

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While strolling Woodward north of 13 Mile earlier this evening, I saw a cruiser with the North Woodward Timing Association decal on its window. And I remembered that there is a photo of one in the new Arcadia book Cruisin' The Original Woodward Avenue, so I scanned it as requested by Douglasm.

NW_Timing_Assn

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.