Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ambassador Bridge is falling down? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 333
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. . . OK, maybe not literally, though even state, federal and provincial officials don't know for sure because Matty Moroun keeps inspection records zipped up.

But his bridge company does drop hints about serious disrepair and plans to close it in a state permit application to build a new span alongside the 1929 landmark.
http://todaystrucking.com/news .cfm?intDocID=16447

Highlights from the application, a public document filed with the Michigan Dept. of Environmental Quality:

* "The existing Ambassador Bridge will be closed for evaluation and repair, if found to be economically viable for future use." [underlining added]
* "Upon completion of the anticipated repairs, the existing bridge will be used to provide redundancy and backup support when necessary to ensure the free flow of traffic." [ditto]
* ". . . there is some increased potential for the [new] bridge to increase bird collisions with cables. . . . mitigation measures . . . will be considered."

Uh, speaking of measures to consider: Take the tunnel.

"Economically viable" clearly is Moroun's sole consideration. Not shocking, of course . . . just notable to see his own company confirm it.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 69.136.140.132
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be sure to mention this to all the truckers sitting on the bridge next time I'm on my CB heading down I-75. They'll love this news.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3513
Posted From: 68.73.10.34
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumours have been rife in SW Detroit about Matty making a power play. Looks like there is something to them.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 443
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like Matty's attempt to get around the political opposition (in Windsor) to an Ambassador Bridge expansion. If he "replaces" his old 4 lane bridge with a 6 or 8 lane bridge he can get around certain government regulations.

It is clear that a majority of Windsorites would prefer a second bridge further downriver that does not use city streets for its approach. Twinning or "replacing" the current bridge will continue the bridge's role as the major Windsor-Detroit trade link and will maintain Huron Church's (Windsor road leading to the bridge) life as an urban truck highway.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2450
Posted From: 4.229.81.150
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, after re-reading the article.... looks like the new bridge will be quite different from the old bridge.... the towers will NOT be in the water, but on dry land, thus eliminating the need for those long drawn out environmental impact studies (at least any about the river). Thus the new bridge will have a much greater central span (a central span across the entire river).

I think what he want to do is open the 2nd bridge, and have the "intention" of closing the 1st bridge, at least temporarily... with the "possibility" that the 1st bridge may never reopen.... or not at least until it is needed.

And he can use the excuse that the first bridge may never re-open, to thwart those who don't want the traffic of 2 bridges on Huron Church Road.

For whatever else people want to call Matty Maroun.... he sure is a crafty S.O.B.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8628
Posted From: 70.54.70.86
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the bridge is in fact falling apart it is due to Maroun's negligence in keeping it up. How can other bridges built around the same time still be in great shape yet this bridge "needs" to come down? Of course the timing couldn't be more perfect. Suddenly, it is in rough shape? Give me a break.

Yes he is crafty and yes he is a SOB.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 459
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good friend of mine was the CEO of the bridge operation--until the late 80's. at that time, his statement was "the bridge is so well (over) built, that with routine maintenance it is predicted to last 400-500 years. MM has had paint crews working on it continously, and this could only be viewed as a play to get around the red tape for the new mega-bridge. Way to have the economy of an entire reigon by the short hairs.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2208
Posted From: 69.3.125.197
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a crafty SOB indeed. I always take the tunnel, and the entrance to the bridge is blocks from my house.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2794
Posted From: 66.167.211.36
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just finished writing my State Rep. to block this end run attempt to monopolize the border traffic. I urge others on both sides of the border to do the same. If he pulls this off and then, voila, finds the old bridge to be good after all [which it will] he will have a monopoloy stranglehold on border traffic. It will be very difficult to justify or get approval for another crossing and pollution and traffic in Windsor and SW Detroit will increase and higher rates will follow.

Does anyone else find it amusing that the slumlord of Detroit's most fabulous ruin, the Michigan Central Station, would suddenly get so concerned over an alleged crumbling bridge?

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this guy have some kind of monopoly on bridges across the Detroit river? If the bridge is in disrepair, this should be public knowledge. If he hasn't been doing the necessary maintenance, he is probably in breach of some contract. We shouldn't have to wait for a catastrophe. Since this is an international causeway, the bridge should be an international project.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 528
Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see how he would be in breach of any contract. The bridge was privately built and has always been privately owned. There wasn't any contract with any government to build it or maintain it.

There aren't any other examples of private highway crossings between Michigan and Ontario, so the Ambassador would be the test case for pretty much all questions of how its safety should be regulated.

Having said that, yes, Maroun is a crafty SOB.

Goat

Post Number: 8641
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, sadly your state reps have pulled the funding for the DRIC which was made up of Ontario, Michigan, USA Federal and Can. Federal gov'ts. SO therefore Michigan doesn't have a seat at the table anymore.

Way to go for patronage and back room peddling.
I wonder who bought who?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 72.229.136.103
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crafty indeed.

But there is a alternate route that kills his monopoly unfortunately. So he has a case against that. When you think about that, in fact right now there are three ways to get across the river Blue Ridge Bridge, Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, and The Ambassador Bridge. (plus the other MCS tunnel). Only 1/3 of the border belongs to Matt. 313

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3518
Posted From: 68.74.4.55
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The busiest of the three.

They have been test drillings in Delray on one of the alternate sites as per the studies that are being done.

As several have noted, this seems to be an end run by Matty to hold onto control of the border, just as his land purchases on both sides of the border in the areas proposed for the alternate routes.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 718
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let it go the way of "London Bridge!"

Livedog2

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earlier this week I attended the discussion held at Cesar Chavez Academy and hosted by Steve Tobocman's office on publicly owned bridges. It featured the Peace Bridge in Buffalo as an example.

Anyone feel free to corrcet me if I'm wrong, but the idea was that with lower cost tax exempt financing of a non-profit could be leveraged to build a public bridge which could have lower tolls and could in theory be more socially responsible.

Could that happen here? Could it take the space of the second span, or would you need to find a new location to put it?

Just some food for thought...

Beach
Username: Beach

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.21.35.177
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way I understand it, Maroun has applied for permits to build an exapansion and upgrade on the existing Ambassador Bridge. He is not calling it a second span for the sole reason of skirting public oversight rules. Crafty indeed. Apparently, he has recently put a great deal of pressure on those who need to sign off on a such a permit, so that he can win the race of building a new border crossing.

Beach
Username: Beach

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.21.35.177
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magnasco-- I think it is not only possible, but a necessity. A publicly-owned bridge would be Maroun's worst nightmare. He would no longer control the only crossing available to trucks and it would significantly undercut his profits by underselling him, so to speak. Publicly-owned bridges typically use a good portion of their profits to invest in the community in which they are located. Something that, as all of the people here know, is so badly needed. What does Maroun do for the surrounding area? Nothing good.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the community meeting at Chavez Academy, Brian Masse from Canadian Parlaiment, Windsor West, said that it was not getting what it needed as to approval from the other side of the river.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2795
Posted From: 66.167.211.36
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit313, the Blue Water and Tunnel hardly kill his monopoly. The big money is in the trucks which have little alternative but to cross at the straits.

I would love to see the State of Michigan and Ontario build a publicly owned crossing. It would pay for itself and keep prices lower for both our economies by forcing Maroun to compete. BTW, time to send building inspectors after his behind to fix up the MCS!

Goat, that was not ~my~ state rep.

Goat

Post Number: 8644
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't mean to imply it was "your" rep but nonetheless, the funding was shot down. Where will that leave Michigan considering it is a lifeline for the state?

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 153.90.110.17
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at the ambassador bridge and can tell you that it was not well maintained as long as I worked there. That was back in 2002, so perhaps things have changed. But if I remember Matty, I would seriously doubt that.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 12.111.125.130
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds about right Mountainman. I drive an 18-wheeler across the AB 3 or 4 times a month and to me it looks to be in worse shape than it used to be. For the sake of Windsorites and all us truckers, Ontario and Michigan seriously need to build a crossing downriver, with direct freeway connections to I-75 and the 401. I'm sure the upcoming DeVos administration will get right on that...

Soapbox time - private ownership of roads and bridges is just not a good idea. They affect the economy and security of We the People, so why let some nutcase landlord usurp our right of public oversight?? Indiana just sold their entire Toll Road to a Spanish-Australian consortium; didn't anybody in Indy take a glance up here to see what we've been dealing with all these years?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 12.108.190.1
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only way to explain Maroun is that he is Satan and exercises some type of supernatural mind control over our public officials.

Okay, okay. Maybe that's not the ONLY explaination, but it makes sense.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.