Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Kids being pummelled on Macomb school buses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1045
Posted From: 71.144.116.238
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK it's Macomb County -- Roseville.

But what the hell is going on here? An 11 year old girl is beaten on a bus because she got all As, you can see her on the tape walking forward on the bus with a bloody nose.

And the president of the school board shrugs and says they can't do anything about it, when you have 11 year olds, these things are going to happen.

So there's no controlling kids, ever? This attitude drives me crazy. Kids have adults telling them what to do from birth. This is yet another thing you stop them from doing, along with sticking a knife into a toaster or running into the street.

If I had a kid in Roseville schools I'd yank them out so fast everybody's head would spin.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060714/M ETRO/607140329

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2001
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is nothing new. Kids got beat up on school busses 30 years ago. The only difference now is the buses have video cameras.

Pffft

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eleven year old girls didn't get beaten to the point of bloody noses, 30 years ago, no.

Boys, sometimes. But bus drivers/teachers/administrator s in most districts would quash that sort of thing when it got out of hand.

And I recall fights only when two kids had a beef, and they were mutual. These recent events are all one-sided, bullying.

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 67.37.215.187
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girls fighting and/or bullying is not a new phenomenon. It's been 20+ years since I was 11 years old and I remember which girls were the bullies and even recall seeing fights. Difference was they'd wait until they were off the bus and then the fight would start. And yes, I recall seeing girls getting bloody noses, lips, etc.

Should the parents be involved and teaching their kids about appropriate/inappropriate behavior? Of course, but talk to any teacher/administrator and you'll find out there are a lot of parents that haven't done a good job instilling values in their children. Just because people are capable of having children doesn't mean they're capable of raising them.

Pffft

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, this wasn't a case of two girls meeting after school to settle a beef.

This is a kid who did nothing but get all As, get hammered for it on the bus to the point of a bloody nose.

I don't know about you, but the bus drivers when I was going to school would have pulled over and been back there before it got to that.

In recent years I've been a volunteer riding on ski buses with kids ranging from five to 17, going skiing for the day. They had one of us on each bus, apart from the driver, to keep order. That's what adults do, you stop kids from tearing each other apart.

If they want to have a pre-arranged score settling after school, nobody can stop that.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2002
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course 11 year old girls got bloody lips 30 years ago. Bullies are bullies and the schools have always been unwilling or unable to deal with them.

This whole Idea that things are getting worse than they were is a crock of shit. People are exactly like they've always been. The difference is we have huge amounts of news entertainment hours needed to be filled on the TV. Things that would have been considered trivial 20 years ago now make the news because either people find it entertaining or the TV just needs to fill those hours of airtime.

Pffft

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B.s. Discipline in most public schools, suburban or Detroit, was tougher 30, 40 and 50 years ago. If you don't realize that, you're living in a dream world.

Ct4438

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to why the bus driver didn't break it up, read the article from the Macomb Daily. http://www.macombdaily.com/sto ries/071406/loc_video001.shtml

Apparently the girl was smart enough to time her attack while other kids were getting off the bus so as to obscure the bus driver's view.

And as far as pulling the bus over "before it got to that." Do you have any idea where this bus was at the time? Depending on the road the driver was on, whether or not they were turning, etc. that is easier said than done. Having another adult at the back of the bus would be a wonderful deterrent to fighting, etc but most districts don't have the funding to put a "bus attendant" on every bus.

And bullying is bullying whether it's during school or following somebody home from the bus stop after school. I didn't say anything about those fights being mutual "scores to settle".

Pffft

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's just the sort of attitude that I'm talking about. It happens, it always has, so what...

Send your daughter on that bus, then. So what, right?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 400
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And the president of the school board shrugs and says they can't do anything about it, when you have 11 year olds, these things are going to happen."

I think you're misrepresenting what he said. He mentioned that the district has a long standing policy concerning these types of issues on school buses and after everything is reviewed it could lead to a suspension or loss of bus privileges. I certianly didn't get the feeling that he was shrugging his shoulders over this issue.

He did say that when you get this many 11 year olds together it's difficult to prevent these types of problems from happening, which I think is true. They had a camera on the bus (The children had to be aware of this) and an attack still took place. Short of locking bullies in cages when they're on the bus I'm not sure what school districts can do other than following up with suspensions and not allowing them back on the bus.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1692
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember several times in middle school in suburban Detroit when a fight would break out on the bus. The driver would pull over as soon as she could, stop the fight and then throw the instigator off the bus right then and there, regardless of where the instigator's home was. The instigator was then usually suspended from the bus anywhere from a week to a month.

That long walk home combined with the parent having to drive the kid to school for a while seemed to be a big enough deterent for it to happen again.

I'm sure the sort of punishment dealt out back then (which wasn't that long ago) wouldn't be allowed today. They could likely suspend the kid from the bus today, but then the parents might not even drop their kid off at school. So who's winning then?

Ct4438

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parents are still the major factor here. I wouldn't have dared start a fight or pick on anyone at school because if I ever got in trouble at school, I would in trouble at home too! There are limitations to what the schools can do and how discipline is handled in the 21st century.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4559
Posted From: 141.217.173.178
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the parents don't disipline their children. They would grow up so ignorant that it would be almost impossible to control them. A lack of God, Jesus and Holy Spirit in the family is more likely to FAIL. Kids who grew up the broken home and dyfunctional parents will be subject to become instant evildoers, rebelling against all authority like a Anarchist! Parents do you know where you chidren are doing today?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 2025
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just talked to someone from Macomb and was told that the reason the school bus divers don’t break up fights is because the unions won’t let them because it is not part of their job descriptions (they are not responsible for keeping order on the bus). During negotiation they wanted more money to break up fights/ keep order or to create a new category of jobs where there would be two of them on each bus. One to drive and one to keep order on the bus.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4560
Posted From: 141.217.173.178
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So therefore a few innocent kids are sitting ducks when riding in the school bus dealing while a bully. Even when the bus is in motion. That can trigger a accident when on the public road any time.

You know what. Congress should pass a law to arrest the parent(s) or relative(s) if their child did the horrendous crime. Some state already have the law in effect.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 141.217.214.203
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least this one didn't get a pretend gun in the face like the last boy.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 70.228.58.113
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another vote for blaming the parents for most of this stuff. Most of us Boomers were raised at least half-way decently, but we have fumbled the ball, when it comes to raising our own kids. Our generation is too f***ing into Self. We're too goddam busy making sure that we are actualizing our own desires, and "finding ourselves," which is one of the dumbest terms I've ever heard, especially since most of us couldn't find our own ass if we used both hands, too busy gazing, hypnotized, at our bathroom mirrors, too busy (please excuse the vulgarism) jerking ourselves off, TOO BUSY WITH MEMEMEME TO TAKE THE TIME & EFFORT TO RAISE OUR KIDS RIGHT. Yes, this stuff has always occurred, but it is totally out of control now, largely because WE, AS PARENTS, SUCK. Maybe the bus driver should have raised everybody's kids, too. There we go, again, with one of the earmarks of our generation: Someone ELSE should step in and act like a grown-up. The biggest reason why some of these kids are such f***in' punk-asses is that their PARENTS never grew out of being punk-asses. It's the one thing OUR parents couldn't make us do.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 696
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, did the bus drive over into Detroit and that's why this topic is on the "Discuss Detroit" side?

Livedog2

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 994
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Most of us Boomers were raised at least half-way decently, but we have fumbled the ball, when it comes to raising our own kids.

Most boomers are too old to have kids that would be on school buses...

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt the problem is as much the union contracts as it is the threat of lawsuits and termination that the bus drivers can face if they get physically involved. Most drivers are neither trained or physically capable of breaking up a fight. Even if they were it's not worth the risk of losing their jobs or worse.

The real problem is lack of respect on the parts of the students (I don't have to listen to you, you're just a F-ing bus driver). In the areas I'm familiar with it's a very small number of kids causing the problems over and over. Not only do the parents not punish them, but most of the time the parents (and their lawyers) defend their reject children as if they were Mother Theresa. Even when faced with video of their "angels" bulling other kids (or much worse) they still deny that there is a problem.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on July 14, 2006)

Ravine

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa, that's true, actually. Maybe what we are seeing is how our self-centeredness and self-indulgence set a crapola example for the NEXT generation of parents. (I keep forgetting that I'm almost An Old Guy, now... thanks for reminding me. I still love ya, you little nit-picker, you.)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1192
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always used to get ticked off when others would suggest nuking or otherwise wiping metro Detroit off the face of the earth, but stuff like this repeatedly happening here is leading me to agree with them.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 524
Posted From: 35.12.24.52
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Most boomers are too old to have kids that would be on school buses..."

The baby boom in the U.S. is generally defined as being from 1946 to 1964. Any boomer who's now between 42 and 50 and has an 11-year old would have been between about 31 and 39 when the kid was born. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 995
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I said "most"...

Ravine

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, and I called HER a nit-picker...

Susanarosa

Post Number: 996
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ravine. :-)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 444
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In public schools, the inmates run the asylum. If teachers or school administrators tried to discipline this bully, they'd probably have the bully's parents in their office the next day screaming about "lawsuits" and "violating the bully's rights" or some other bullshit. Not only do parents NOT discipline their children anymore, they take the child's side over the teachers when the teacher tries to discipline them. Their "little angel" can do no wrong in their eyes. These fucking demon spawn children answer to no one, expel these little assholes and make the parents' home school their asses.

Remember that case in Lincoln Park a while back, the one where the student refused to stop playing Game Boy even after being told numerous times? They sent him down to the office, and he still refused to give it up. The school had to call the POLICE to come wrest the game out of this boy's hands and it took three officers and a tazer to subdue that little shit.

Pffft

Post Number: 1050
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though discipline was tougher in public schools back then, we'd have an occasional student who repeatedly refused to straighten up and fly right. Back in those politically incorrect days those boys would be told they were headed for being thrown out, and would have to go to the nearby Catholic boys' school, where the brothers did not play, they WOULD be taught to behave there.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1064
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The public schools practice a ridiculous program called "Conflict Resolution," where the schools bring the bullies and the bullied together to work things out. It sounds OK, but in practice, this scheme is bull shit.

From my hearsay experience of this from the parents of the bullied, the schools shift much of the responsibility from the bullies and blame the attacks upon the victims of the bullies. That way everybody gets blamed, and the schools pretend that they solved the ongoing bullying...

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 141.217.174.224
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parents are too busy to raise their kids. They're too busy wasting their lives away in rush hour traffic. Therefore, since this takes up all their time, they HAVE to send their children to THEE best school possible so that it can make up for what they lack, parenting.

If the school F's up, as in this case, the family moves to the next township's school district that is better than the last. The parents then drive farther and longer to work and have even less time to spend with their children.

It's called suburban sprawl, and Ravine has a point. It all started during the boomer era when the mentality was I-me-mine, also known as the American Dream. And as we all know, Metro Detroit, among other large metropolitan areas, has not recovered from relentless sprawl and the increadible negative social issues that follow it.

That's my planning perspective rant for the day. ;)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2681
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"1904. Edna Winn, teacher, with her pupils at the old Livernois school, immediately across from the future University of Detroit. But the rural school soon became rougher, as John Holman reports: 'If a teacher told those boys to sit down, they would tell her to sit down herself! They had to get a male teacher.'"

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Back in the day" kids were not so afraid of getting caught by bus drivers or teachers doing stupid stuff. They were afraid of what would happen when they got home. "It seems that these days" some/many parents are intimidated by their own kids or look at them as "perfect" and refuse to discipline themselves. Boil it down as far as you want but one word sums it up, respect, it is a rare thing.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3884
Posted From: 66.208.233.74
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this 11-year-old was so smart she wouldn't have wasted her time with grades and learned how to not
get beaten up on the bus.

quote:

I find it funny how some view a test as a measuring stick for intelligence. How they did in school, their GPA, or how many books they have read. Me, I base intelligence upon one's ability to get by in day to day life. - Supersport

Next thing you know all of you will try to claim someone doesn't deserve to have their bike stolen because they left the garage open. Pretty soon you'll be excusing terrorism.

(Message edited by jelk on July 14, 2006)

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If suburban sprawl is responsible for youth violence then why is it such a problem for the DPS? Not everything can be blamed on the freeways.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1193
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Parents are too busy to raise their kids. They're too busy wasting their lives away in rush hour traffic.

Parents are too busy working their asses off trying to support their families in an American lifestyle that's increasingly unobtainable for the average citizen.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1066
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Depression was rougher financially than anytime since, and few kids back then were the ubiquitous pampered brats, starting with the Boomers and continuing to today.

So, the wee dog just wetted itself with that nonsensical "analysis."

Pffft

Post Number: 1051
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The difference is, in the Depression, if your teacher said you did wrong, you'd get two beatings, one from your parent, then they'd drag you to school.

Today it's true, the school bus thug is defended by the lawyer her teeth-deficient parents hire.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
In public schools, the inmates run the asylum. If teachers or school administrators tried to discipline this bully, they'd probably have the bully's parents in their office the next day screaming about "lawsuits" and "violating the bully's rights" or some other bullshit. Not only do parents NOT discipline their children anymore, they take the child's side over the teachers when the teacher tries to discipline them. Their "little angel" can do no wrong in their eyes. These fucking demon spawn children answer to no one, expel these little assholes and make the parents' home school their asses.

AMEN TO THAT! We even have parents coming TO the SCHOOL and stabbing kids, trying to run them over..and the list goes on. I have seen it MANY times. When teachers intervene, the parents come to the school and attack the teachers. I don't get involved, usually. It isn't safe. Kids have things with which to stab others and they will use them. Fortunately, I haven't had a fight or any drama in my class for 7 years. The kids will also not fight anywhere near me. They say it's out of respect...

Kids learn by example and some examples are just plain thuggish and violent. I say hold parents responsible legally, monetarily...that should shift things. I know I STILL have a healthy fear of my mother. All kids need to fear authroity figures in a healthy way...it's called RESPECT.

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why not follow the immortal words of mcgruff, i'm sure these handy tips would stop any bully cold in his/her tracks.

"Try to talk it out. Say, "Why are you being mean to me?"
Walk away from the bully.
Speak up. Say, "Stop picking on me!"
Make a joke. If you say something funny, even about yourself, the bully might laugh and forget to pick on you.
Stick with your friends.
Ask an adult for help."

from mcgruff.org (which is broken, use google cache)

has anyone seen those commercials the ad council airs?

'if a bully wants to start a fight, put your arm around him and walk away'

what the hell?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 870
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my saying:

while parents may try their best to prepare their children for the world, adults often fail to prepare the world for their children.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1194
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Depression was rougher financially than anytime since

I wouldn't be surprised if, adjusted for inflation, the average net worth back then was higher than it is now. Remember the nation was still primarily agricultural then so there was at least a chance of subsitance farming for a family (unlike now). And generally speaking the women of the household stayed home - a decent life was possible for many families with only one income. Society has changed much since the Depression and not just in terms of disciplining the children.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 68.42.133.85
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really a sad story. What's so pathetic is that most people in Roseville should be desperately trying to acquire knowlege as fast as they can to save their sorry asses from the global economic sodomization that is coming their way.

I remember being in kid in Huntington Woods. There, success at school was respected. Then we moved to another of these shit Southeast Michigan suburbs. The difference was day and night. People who did well in school in the new town were marked men. The student body was essentially a bunch of pot-smoking blue-collar kids, with no respect for knowlege, and no ambition, apart from their overwhelming sense of entitlement that the world owed their overpaid unskilled parents a cabin up North and a snowmobile.

This is such a diseased place.

Ray

Post Number: 723
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, the standard of living today is vastly higher than during the depression by every material measure: caloric intake, size of home, travel, education, appliances, access to media, access to health care. On and on and on.

It has nothing to do with economic failure. It has to do with this sick dysfunctional culture of suburban Detroit.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1195
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

divorce rate is up, social isolation is up, stress is up, teen suicide is up, violent crime is up, two income families are up, heart disease is up, diabetes is up, obesity is up - the standard of living can be measured many different ways - some good things come from material wealth, some bad things come from the effort to attain and sustain material wealth

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 4.229.42.227
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember 11-year-old girls getting into fights like that when I was in elementary school. In junior high, it was an everyday occurance. Unless the kids got caught in the act, nothing ever happened to any of them. Nobody ever went to the teachers or to the principal because as they say in the 1970s movie Over the Edge, a kid who tells on another kid is a dead kid.

As for the kid in this video, I heard on the news that she has been kicked out of school.

Ray

Post Number: 728
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup,

You raise an undeniable fact: the quality of life is measured by more than the material and in many non-material respects, the quality of life is not what it once was.

I would point out that violent crime over the past 30 years is actually down significantly. I think the divorce rate since the 1960's as been steady.

I think the biggest quality of life knock on today is the way children live. When I was a kid, they could roam free all over the neighborhood. The walked or rode their bikes everywhere. Now, they are all on security lock down, escorted from one play date to the next. That's sad.

Ray

Post Number: 729
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer1, I remember it too... but when I moved away for 20 years to different cities, I discovered that this is not NORMAL. This is not how the rest of the country lives.

If this happend in Palo Alto, they'd call out the national gaurd. I mean seriously, it's hard to even comprehend. People in civilized places just don't routinely beat each other.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1701
Posted From: 69.209.131.201
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can the facts in this case be true that the only reason this girl was beaten by the bully was because she got good grades? It would be extremely sad if this was the only reason.

For the most part, bullies pick on kids that they think they can successfully bully. Of course they rarely pick on kids their own size. In some cases, the bullying stops only when the victim turns around and kicks the bully's butt. However, this is not possible in every situation. The victim has to be on par physically for a physical retaliation to be successful.

I'm not trying to suggest that this is what the victim should have done in this case. It's just that from personal experiences this was the way I confronted bullies, and in many cases the bullies and I became friends. That's how things were handled 30 years ago. Today, I don't know what is the best solution to the problem of bullying. Are personal protection orders on 11 year olds the wave of the future?

Pffft

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can say from experience, many if not most girls are not accustomed to having to defend themselves physically. Yeah, I saw "Million Dollar Baby." It's the exception, not the rule.

Boys scuffle more. I know, I grew up with brothers. So I'm not sure expecting a 60 pound 11 year old girlie female who gets all As, to be able to act like Muhammad Ali in a skirt is what we need to do.

Kick the antisocial bully girl out of school, and let her parents pay the freight for private.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 24.192.189.109
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray is right. This is a social disease. Obviously this 11 year old girl bully has been raised in a household that holds education, good grades, respect for others, and common good manners in contempt. I realize that we are no longer "back in the day" but I do believe that when kids knew that the adults in their lives, whether they were at school or at home, would blister their asses for this kind of unacceptable behavior, they at least thought twice before they let their baser urges control their actions. And yes, that frequently translated into waiting till the adults were not in attendence. Now, having adults present is no guarantee of control because our version of "kindler and gentler" means corporal punishment is illegal even in the home. seems to me we got our values skewed a little too far.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget people this is ROSETUCKY

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 277
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone knows the best cure for a bully... smack em right back in the nose!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my son (who's now nearly 20 and going into the army) acted stupid (no other word for it) I spanked him. He tried to pull the "I'll call the cops" routine. I threw him in the car, drove him to the police station and asked the cops if I could spank him. They said "sure can". So I proceeded to whoop his Arse in the cop shop and said "Call em now, call em now". Never had to spank him again. BTW, he was about 12 when this happened and he deserved a good arse whooping. It wasn't even a spanking, it was more like an arse whooping.

Stephanie
Username: Stephanie

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.43.106.62
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was ten-years-old attending White Elementary on the east side, I had the exact same problem as this little girl in Roseville did. Since she wouldn't leave me alone, I finally turned around and kicked her ass on the playground(she was way bigger than I was, too). Some kids are just not raised in a home where doing well in school is seen as a good thing. I remember a neighbor girl being teased constantly by her mother because she was a straight A student.

About the bus driver's responsibility to stop it: when I rode the bus back 30 years ago, the bus drivers would break up the fights, tell the kids to shut and sit down, etc. Nowadays, all they do is pick the kids up and drop 'em off. If something happens on the bus , they don't give a shit because 'it's not their job'. Pathetic. Why does keeping kids safe have to negotiated into a union contract?

Another thing, I don't get the Rosetucky comment. Roseville is not full of ignorant hillbillies and rednecks to justify such a remark, in my opinion.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2697
Posted From: 75.10.16.94
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, getting good grades might not have been the only reason for the bullying. The bully can he heard on tape calling the other student "White girl" as she is hitting her. It seems that in our PC culture that no one has discussed that aspect, but if it were the other way around, it would have surely come up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.