Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Poletown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have yet to read a posting on the tragedy that was the destruction of the Poletown neighborhood in 1980. Such a shame people were forced from their homes in the 20th century. Much of this was due to the fact that the residents were either of Polish or Black decent.(i.e.low income) My grandparents were poor immigrants from the old country who lived in this area at one point. Then they "Made it" and moved to the suburb of Hamtramck. I understand why Mayor Young wanted the new GM plant, however it could have been a smaller scale as is the plant covers only 1/3 of the property "stolen" from the people of Poletown.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 519
Posted From: 35.8.4.141
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Such a shame people were forced from their homes in the 20th century."

Well, thousands of people nationwide were forced from their homes in the 20th century for freeways and other public works projects. But yes, the ugly thing about the Poletown case is that people were forced out for a private company's benefit.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freeways some can make a case for. Private companies stealing homes is another thing for everyone. (Including folks such as Rasputain. Sorry Ras, You may hate me, but I stand for the GOOD of MANKIND vs THE MAN... If you were to meet me at a store and talked to me mono vs mono you would see we have much in common) But here again I digress... Let's share our thoughts on the destuction of Poletown.
Pole-Atccha...( I gues it don't have the ring of Ras's tagline), but I'm one to go out on a limb...Anyway POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3087
Posted From: 68.252.125.198
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have yet to read a posting on the tragedy that was the destruction of the Poletown neighborhood in 1980."

Try the archives. We've talked about it quite a bit.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you read "Poletown...Community Betayed" ... by Jeanie Wylie, although not a native, her book was right on the money. Pole's have always been shit upon in Detroit. That is why most Pole's I know from Detroit have always been sympathetic to the blacks who also suffered the same fate as Pole's from Poland (Russian Territory/ German Soil) Pole's have always been Europe's "Slaves". So yeh, I know what its like to be shit upon Rasputain... Stop the cycle of hate with me as we both sing M.JACKSON's "I'M STARTING WITH The Man in the Mirror" Rasputain, I offer you my hand...as a brother in Christ...Help me bridge the gap between black and white... PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I LOVE DETOIT...LET'S not be Enemies.... I Will always be a "DETROITER" no matter what all the haterz say. I was born, live and will die and be burried in MY CITY...THE CITY BY THE STRAIGHTS, DETROIT,
DETROITER FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a short March 2006 thread on the subject.

In that thread, I address the "it could have been a smaller scale as the plant covers only 1/3 of the property" fallacy.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikeg'

This is a sore subjuct with me as I feel that it is not well representative in the house,( Oh I forgot I'm not speaking about Mich.'s Senate & House which is controled by the KKK/ republican party) I mean Detroityes.... Stand up all Detroit yes forem members and tell us what your feelings are about this behavior.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.