Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » NFL YET Center Construction Is Underway in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NFL YET Center Construction Is Underway in Detroit
New Boys & Girls Club To Open Spring 2007
July 5, 2006

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Construction has begun on the new NFL YET Center, a new Boys & Girls Club on the Dick and Sandy Dauch Campus in western Detroit. The groundbreaking ceremonies were on February 2 during Super Bowl XL week in Detroit but construction actually began on May 8th with a projected completion date of May 2007.

The new $6 million dollar, 30,000 square-foot facility will be located in the Gardenview Estates (formerly Herman Gardens) near Tireman and the Southfield Freeway on the west side of Detroit.

http://www.detroitlions.com/do cument_display.cfm?document_id =445582

Rendering:

http://www.bgcsm.org/

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1662
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they're building a recreation center in the middle of no where?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 557
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news considering the area was torn down to rebuild more housing and that never materialized and displaced hundreds if not thousands of residents.

I hate driving past there and seeing that the land is just an urban prairie. I am glad to see soemthing productive will be placed on this site for the kids in the area. There is not much for the kids to do in that area, so this is a start.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4519
Posted From: 141.217.84.88
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good from them. Now let's put some single family homes and megacondos in the former Herman Gardens.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3498
Posted From: 67.38.17.59
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a Google map search of the area seems to be many homes near there, plus it is on a bus route.

Why bitch when things are built in the neighborhoods? Aren't many complaints levelled at the Ciy for ignoring the neighborhoods to build up Downtown?

The NFL should be applauded for choosing this site for this facility.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 558
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams... Who's complaining?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The location (middle of nowhere) doesn't really matter...what's important is that this is a positive thing for Detroit's youth, who are the future of the city.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not the middle of nowhere 100,000's of thousands of people live over here. Folks in the Warrendale/Franklin Park neighborhoods may not be the fancy pants most of you are, but they are normal folks who want better for their kids.

Its across the freeway from O'Halloran's Tipperary Pub, and a music store.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6329
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<---total fancy pants

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's my old stomping ground (Warrendale area). I have fancy panties, does that count? That area is chock full of hardworking folks and it's great to see something going in there to benefit the community!

Note: Notice I used the correct form of it's. :-)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 543
Posted From: 71.159.22.4
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For them to be building that facility there should motivate gov't to tear down those abandoned warehouses and such across the street and might even up some construction.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1696
Posted From: 69.220.37.181
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great for the area's youth. However, why is it that former "project" land can't be converted completely to market rate land? Is there some stipulation with the federal government that this land has to continue to be available for low income housing and residents?

Woodbridge Estates(former Jeffries Projects) has some market rate rental units and market rate housing. However, portions of the development are still set aside for low income housing and residents. Why is this?

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 755
Posted From: 68.30.83.249
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BitchVos actually said:

Quote - "So they're building a recreation center in the middle of no where?"

This person obviously knows little about this neighborhood. That area is saturated with people.

later - naturalsister

Bvos

Post Number: 1664
Posted From: 75.10.21.159
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the old Herman Gardens site is teeming with people Naturalsister. I know the area well. Still looking for that saturation of people amidst the weeds and dying trees...

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1783
Posted From: 68.255.243.249
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So they're building a recreation center in the middle of no where?

No, they're building it in the Warrendale neighborhood on the City's far-west side. The neighborhood is home to 34,000 school-age children.

That is hardly "the middle of nowhere".

Oh, and my most recent post about it on the Warrendale blog is at http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/07/construction-heats-up -at-nflyet.html

I pretty much update on its progress on a weekly basis.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That area in Warrendale is a hotbed of kids! Many cops and firemen live in that area, not to mention teachers, a few doctors, lawyers and such. There are wonderful starter homes in that area that are affordable, the neighborhod is wonderful, well kept, etc. I grew up in that neighborhood and live not far from it now. The center will provide MANY kids an alternative to playing in Rouge Park (as I had to do when I was a kid). That area is nowhere near nowhere. It holds the fondest memories I have.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 140
Posted From: 72.229.136.103
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are building the rec center on the old Herman Garden site, then that is a loss. It was supposed to be housing. That is a whole lot of land and a large tax base that is lossed. Good for development, but fill it with housing.

When Herman Gardens was destroyed it killed alot of small businesses around there.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 68.30.30.41
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The housing can still come later.

Let's not be so tragic.

later - naturalsister

Bitchvos, you are clueless.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 69.212.57.249
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gardens had been deteriorating for years. I actually stayed there in 1976. There are people who still live in that area my sister included. Hopefully this will help keep some of the kids out of the street. Here's a link to the new housing being built.
http://66.241.216.51/Herman-Ga rdens.id.25.htm

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Herman Gardens is not in Warrendale......

Bvos

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently Lowell and CULMA are clueless too:

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2004/13-UrbanPrairie/HermanG arden.htm

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1667
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Its across the freeway from O'Halloran's Tipperary Pub

I thought the Tipperary closed in March. Would be great if it didn't -- could somebody confirm?

Thanks.

Bvos

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a SOLD sign/sticker attached to the realtor sign now at the Tipperary. There will probably be a few months of down time while the new owners get the paperwork done, do some renovations, etc. I seem to remember the Tipperary owners wanting to sell to someone who would keep it an Irish pub. Hopefully they were able to find that type of owner.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6372
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daburch would be that type of owner.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I realize it's not in Warrendale (notice I said AREA), but it's NOT far, right down the street! Better than Rouge Park fo many kids!!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1784
Posted From: 69.212.215.68
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Herman Gardens is not in Warrendale......

That depends on who you ask.

Orginally, the land was part of the Village of Warrendale. After the area was absorded into Detroit, it still considered part of the Warrendale neighborhood.

At some point in the mid-70s or early-80s, the Warrendale Community Organization split its geographic boundaries. Some folks reportedly believed that they could get twice as much in block grants if there were two organizations.

Everything west of the Southfield Fwy. was still "Warrendale" while stuff that was east of became the "Warren Avenue Community".

Since there's still a dozen or so businesses east of the Southfield with Warrendale in their name, (e.g., the Warrendale Bar, Warrendale Medical Center and even a little strip mall called the Warrendale Plaza), I can't help but feel the whole "is it really Warrendale argument is silly?"

When I was campaigning for the county commission, folks in the area (especially some of the older ones) still refered to themselves as part of Warrendale.

So, yeah - if you ask me - everything in Detroit that's south of Joy and east of Greenfield is still a part of Warrendale.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most consider Warrendale everything S of Joy and W of Greenfield. There are different organizations for different areas, but the common thread is 'your house will be part of Dearborn once the lease to the city is up' lie.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 757
Posted From: 70.8.219.235
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is that the surrounding area has a lot of families that will benefit from this project.

Bvos,

How does that link put Lowell and the CULMA in your clueless club?

later - naturalsister

PS - Check the perimeter on the photo, home after home after home.

(Message edited by naturalsister on July 13, 2006)

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forgive me if someone already answered this question, but what exactly was herman gardens before it was just a big piece of vacant land? was there housing there? if there was, how and why did it just become vacant land?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a housing project. This link gives a pretty good overview. I remember those apartment building looking structures while I was a youngin...
http://www.answers.com/topic/h erman-gardens

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1786
Posted From: 69.212.215.79
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Most consider Warrendale everything S of Joy and W of Greenfield. There are different organizations for different areas, but the common thread is 'your house will be part of Dearborn once the lease to the city is up' lie.

Oh, please! When has that one been repeated lately?

Yeah, okay - there were a few sleazy real estate speculators who repeated it, trying to make a fast buck off some clueless buyers back in 1999. (They claimed that the fictional lease was going to expire in 2000).

And it was the long-time residents who were doing everything they could to kill that rumor.

Anyway, my point is that there's a lot more that unites the Warrendale neighborhood than a lie some sleazoid was telling 7 years ago.

quote:

When Herman Gardens was destroyed it killed alot of small businesses around there.

Besides the liquor store at Tireman and the Southfield Fwy., what other businesses closed?

Most of the businesses on the north side of Joy Road closed before Herman Gardens did.

As for the old liquor store, it was demolished. A new store has since been built on the site.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/07/family-dollar-is-open .html

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, photos showing the progress of the NFL/YET are now on-line. I took them yesterday so they're fairly current.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/07/nflyet-rising.html

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow I thought I'd get a chuckle out of ya f- sorry about that. : )

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1791
Posted From: 69.212.60.132
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry - I had my sarcasm detector turned off. It's been a rough week. Productive (many things - a couple of which I can't post on an open forum). Sad (Doug McIntosh's passing). But rough.

Sorry for snapping earlier.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.