Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » I witnessed an attack..what should I have done? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 68.250.8.47
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After spending an enjoyable night downtown Saturday I saw something I can't get out of my mind. A freind and I went to Detroit Beer Co., Belle Isle, Campus Martius, Greektown,etc. I-75 north bound was closed so I took Woodward instead. Between 7 & 8 Mile Roads on the east side of the road we saw what was obviously a hooker. We were watching her stand ther all alone when a guy approach her on foot. (We were at a stop light). He was talking to her and then all of a sudden out of no where another man ran out and shoved her to the ground and began kicking her. The light turned green and I had to go but I could see in my mirror that they helped her up and were talking to her. I was by then out of range to see more. It kind of shook me up. I've never seen anything like that. I wanted to turn around and see what was happening but I didn't think that was a good idea. I was looking for a cop but I didn't see one. Regretfully, I did nothing. Mostly because I didn't know what to do. If I called 911 from my cell, I didn't know the address of where the incident happened. What should I have done. I didn't feel right just driving away. Hooker or not, no one should be treated like that. Any advice?

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 64.7.187.71
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

call the Police-
i love detroit

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 68.248.14.37
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may not feel O.K. about continuing on your way without having done anything, but don't whip yourself; your options were few. You could have called 911 and told them the approximate area, but it is very unlikely that doing that would have helped produce any intervention. Immediately turning around and interfering, as noble as that may be, was not a good option, as it may have led to your incurring great bodily harm, or worse. Really really really trying to find a cop was about your best bet, but you said you didn't see any, and a prolonged search would have taken enough time to make the whole thing pointless. One thing, though: You say she may have been a hooker, that there was some conversation before the attack, and that they helped her up. (It sounds like the attack was over.) It does sound like a hooker situation, and if so, keep in mind that this type of stuff happens all the time between hookers and pimps, and the whole thing may have been just business as usual, which also means that any interference on your part would have been, ultimately, pointless.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.61.167.97
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to drink in a few bars on Fort street when I was much younger, early 20ish. I 'm now late 40ish. An older co-worker used to take me down there. I decided to take another co-worker with me on one perticular evening. While sitting at the bar I witnessed a hooker come into the bar with oviously not enough money to satisfy her pimp. He took her outside and beat the hell out of her. Being from the suburbs and not being accustomed to this way of lifestyle, I went outside to see if she was allright. While outside, the owner and approx. 6-8 other guys from the bar followed me outside with poolsticks and proceded to ask me what I was doing and "did I know where I was?" I didn't need to answer as they told me I was on Fort street Mother f*cker. We high tailed it out of there moments later luckily without a bruise. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Havnt been to a bar on Fort street since I believe.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3478
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobility would've gotten your butt beat. It's best to play it safe and call the cops. The second that you saw something like that, you should've hightailed it out of there and noticed the first crossroads and told the cops where in proximity to those streets. if nothing else, get to a gas station or somewhere public and have the owners there call the cops for you.

It's never a good thing to see stuff like that.

Moreta
Username: Moreta

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is even worse to turn a blind eye toward it. Business as usual does not mean it is right.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3481
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would never say turn a blind eye towards it, but let the professionals (the cops) handle a situation like this. They're the ones who are at least somewhat trained to deal with it.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 261
Posted From: 68.248.14.37
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody is advocating the blind eye reaction, but if you're not carrying a machine gun, you're better off on the sidelines, unless you are unmarried, have no surviving family or friends, and you're tired of living. Also, if it WAS a hooker/pimp situation, they do this shit all the time, so even if you somehow "break it up," they're going to be at it again, soon, because the relationship is Like That. Not to mention the strong possibility that if you start in on HIM, SHE will start in on YOU.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 554
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call the cops is the best thing. We have seen far too many times when some chick is getting smashed and someone goes to help her and then she ends up beating the helper up because the helper is beating up her boyfriend. You never know the whole situation and you should not get involved. People are crazy so call the people who are trained and get paid to deal with this kind of nonsense.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4516
Posted From: 141.217.84.88
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have come to the aid with the victim and help it. And call the Police.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 789
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call the police. maybe beep the horn or something to distract them for a moment , but don't intervene

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, that's what I was thinking..blow the horn or yell out the window, but never get out and help.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 977
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would've called 911 and guesstimated your whereabouts. I did that once when I was driving Woodward back to RO from WSU almost 10 years ago. I called 911, they transferred me to the Michigan State Police and I told them that I saw a woman getting beat up outside of a car by some guy. I didn't know the street names but used some landmarks. I still don't know if they ever did anything about it but at least it made my 18 year old naive self feel better about the situation.

I have noticed there have been a lot more hookers on Woodward lately. I saw at least 5 in broad daylight on Father's Day. I guess if you don't know what to get dad...

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa,

I have noticed that as well. I take Woodward from downtown instead of the freeway and I see so many hookers up and down the street. They used to kinda stay at least near the alleys off the main streets but now they are in full view hocking goods.

They are also making a comeback on 8 Mile as well mainly near the street clubs.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1873
Posted From: 69.221.72.6
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just know where you are and help the police out--say "btw. 7 and 8"...and give some landmarks. I'm sure if someone comes out they could take it from there.

This sort of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they all just stared and laughed while the guy got mugged across the street.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 758
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL ^ ^

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 208
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story is very similar to a situation I witnessed about 30 years ago. I was working with another guy in our truck when we see a guy (presumably a pimp,) beating a woman who apparently would not get into a van with some other guy.

We U-turned back and pulled over to play the chivalrous gentlemen that we were. Luckily another passing motorist had witnessed the same thing and decided he was going to become “Sir Savahoe”.

Both the pimp and the prostitute then turned on this guy and started beating him. They appeared to be giving him a good old-fashioned ass whipping.

We turned around, got back into our car, a drove away. I think a little wiser.

Some people don’t need, or want to be rescued.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 207
Posted From: 68.74.31.144
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...If you were on Woodward between 7 and 8 Im almost certain that wasnt a woman you witness getting attacked.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ sirsavhoe lol

Captain Save 'Em

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 565
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MW2GS... MAN AIN'T THAT THE TROOF lol..

Look twice and look hard.. it's funny playing spot the tranny lol.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1432
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lesson was not Fort Street it was keep your nose out of business that does not involve you. Becuase while you are attempting to play good guy, they will role your ass in the street and leave you for dead.

You want to help call the police but do it in private, do not let anyone see you becuase more than likely they are not scared of the Police, Jail or death.

You may not notice at the time but you are in a situation of weakness. You never know who else is watching or if they are baiting you.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 514
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living in SW Detroit I have learned a valuable truth about domestic violence, as well. If a woman neighbor comes running to say that her husband/boyfriend is beating her and please call for help, etc., you should maybe pretend a sudden illness of some sort. For, in my experience, in just a few hours they will be back together and you will be the one they are angry at and punitive towards because you witnessed their humiliation and extended it to the police, courts, etc.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 697
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap is absolutely correct. I can't endorse his statment more emphatically.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 699
Posted From: 199.67.138.42
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised you only saw 1. The area between Spears bar and Ralston is ripe for Tranny hunting any time between the hours of 11 and 4am. On hot summer nights there can be at least 30. If you roll down your windows and drive slow you are bound to hear at least 5 unsolicited yells

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2364
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have stopped and helped her at least you would have known that she was ok and it would have been out of your mind. I once saw a woman in a rough part of the city falling down....I was nervous about stopping but I told myself not to be scared. I went back and helped her - I found out that she was mentally incapacitated and that she had wondered out of her mother's house. I put her in my car and drove her to a police station (after I called info to find one). It made me nervous to do it but I felt so good afterwards. Of course to this day I still wonder about her...some people are just so sad and so bad off.

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 69.220.225.152
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called the cops today on a guy that was walking up my street soliciting residents for "food" money if they would let him tend to their yard. I gave the guy warning I was calling the Ferndale P.D. but he didn't care. He didn't get two houses down my street and the FPD were there and they arrested him. Not necessarily related to this tread but props to the FPD. Nice work.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 798
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree with Southwestmap, I got involved in a "my husband is beating me, he does it all the time, I am so afraid" situation and before you know it they are both mad at me and I am the bad guy.

Know what you are getting into, people do some crazy things

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I called the cops today on a guy that was walking up my street soliciting residents for "food" money if they would let him tend to their yard. I gave the guy warning I was calling the Ferndale P.D. but he didn't care. He didn't get two houses down my street and the FPD were there and they arrested him.

What law was he breaking? Just curious...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 351
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally, panhandling and soliciting are local ordinances.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 659
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine is absolutely right! I was in a bar on Michigan Ave. near Tiger Stadium in the late 1960's after a ball game. That area use to be Hungarian but Mexicans were the next ethnic group that took over. Anyway, this Hispanic looking guy was slapping around what looked like a Hispanic looking woman at the bar. Some guy a few tables away that I found out later was a big Hungarian guy that use to live in the neighborhood tried to get between them. The next thing I knew both the man and woman were fighting with this stupid Hungarian followed by about five (5) more Hispanic looking men. They beat this guy within an inch of his life and left him for dead. I later found out from the people I was with that knew of this Hungarian that he was so beaten up with a concussion, broken bones, swollen organs and various cuts and scraps that he was in the hospital for over three (3) months. If I ever thought of doing something like this which I never did that eliminated any thoughts of riding to the rescue of some damsel in distress in any future encounter. Chivalry went out with the Crusades and discretion is the better parts of valor so don’t be stupid!

Livedog2
knights

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 454
Posted From: 63.69.106.3
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Generally, panhandling and soliciting are local ordinances.

Ah, gotcha.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 69.221.80.238
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the input. I think that if it were to happen again I would drive into the next well lit area and call 911. They might not do anything or maybe it will be over by the time they get there, but at least I won't feel like crap for "not getting involved". BTW if this was a tranny, the cleavage visible with the pink halter didn't look like it! On a positive note, I forgot to mention in my original post the condition of downtown. It was almost impossible to find even a gum wrapper on the ground. The entire area was spotless. We even noticed that surfaces like lamp posts, planters, etc in Campus Martius had been washed. I think it is even cleaner than Super Bowl weekend. Our trip to Bell Isle was a different story...there seemed to be trash everywhere. How sad. It looks like they could use more trash containers. They are spread quite thin, but that is still not an excuse for not using them.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2367
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog - And why does it matter what or how ethnic they looked?

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 663
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All do-gooders want to disarm people of their common sense by forcing pc on everyone else. If ethnicity causes you a problem then don't use it in your discourses. And, thank you for pointing out what a good description I gave in my vignette.

Livedog2

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of hookers hanging out along Woodward north of 7 Mile, I know it's nothing new but holy shit have there been a lot of 'em lately. A couple weekends ago I was driving home that way late one night and there were literally dozens out on the street, four or five deep on some side streets. What's the deal with the absentee cops? It's not like this is an unknown, poor-visibility hooking spot. I'd be pissed if that was my block.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.