Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Woodmere Cemetery Streetcar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3497
Posted From: 67.38.18.157
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking through my Detroit postcard collection, I came across the Woodmere Cemetery entrance sans streetcar tracks card.

I tried Google and a few other search engines to find info about the hearse streetcar that serviced Woodmere Cemetery, the best I came up with was an old thread on this site, the rest were mostly about people meeting their death by being hit by streetcars and interred at Woodmere.

Anyone have more info and hopefully pics of the special streetcar hearse?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1304
Posted From: 63.157.236.126
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A unique trolley car was the DUR's funeral car, introduced in 1901. Detroit was one of a few cities to have such a car, and it was booked solid. It hauled anybody who had been anybody to the cemetery. The funeral car was black, with no name or number, and had an opening near the front to receive the casket. It stayed in service from 1901 to 1917. Each of the large cemeteries of the time maintained a loop of track to accommodate the car. The mourners rode right along with the corpse, coffin and family in front, guests in the rear.

http://info.detnews.com/history/story/index.cfm?id=50&category=life

I don't know if this is the streetcar, but it is labeled Elmwood, a popular name for cemeteries, but it would look similar to this.

Here's a photo of the DUR funeral car taking a dip in the Clinton River.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5683
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you click this link, the last photo is Windsor's Funeral Bus. It was used during WWII during the times of Gasoline Rations.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.