Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Suburbanite's Sunday tour of Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all those here who suggested routes for biking in the city. My friend and I rode 42 miles this morning; from Belle Isle down East Grand Bld to E. Warren, checked out the changes at Wayne State (Hadn’t been there in 5 or 6 years) then headed back downtown along Woodward. We spent about an hour on the roads downtown (eerily empty on a Sunday morning. Then it was off to Corktown, Mexican village and back along Jefferson to Belle Isle.
Overall it was very encouraging to see all the new residential and retail. I really haven’t spent much time in Detroit over the last couple years and was a bit taken back by improvements. On the other hand the conditions at Belle Isle are deplorable. The neglected buildings and enormous amounts of garbage and debris were shocking to say the least. I did notice a very large group of what appeared to be students cleaning up. Their shirts read something like "Give 2 get back?" Anyone here know who they were? They were definitely making a noticeable improvement. I'm going to try riding the same areas again, but later in the day. It was difficult to pass by so many interesting looking bars without stopping for a drink or two. =)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 141.217.174.222
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best way to see the city is on bike. At least the greater downtown area. My sister is training to run the Chicago Marathon in the fall, so I ride my bike with her as we go around the city and to Belle Isle.

I felt bad for her though, because I assured her of a nice pavilion pooper near the southern tip, but when we got there, there was no tp. At least now she has will power training, making it all the way back to Ren Cen.

Anyway, keep up the touring! :-)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what this city needs more of ...TP. There's plenty of shit to go around.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try having brekfast at The Clique on East Jefferson. If you can bike further up Woodward, enjoy the brunch at Majestic Cafe. Many Sunday mornings I spent there with my ex-girlfriend/ soulmate Jen U. Wish I would have married her instead of my now ex-wife Jessie. But again I digress.... I like The Clique beacause they serve eggs and bacon saturated in grease the way this meal was served for the last century-plus. Yeh, heart attack on a platter, but if ya gotta go....GO WITH A TRIPLE-BIPASS, and a full stomach!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 141.217.173.131
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Just make sure you don't stop there during a training run for a marathon. With no tp, you might just end up pooping your pants on Jefferson. And no one wants to see you poop your pants on Jefferson.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice post Johnny5. Sounds like a great ride!

I think a lot of people experience what you did this weekend, but are too afraid to admit that what's going on in the D is worth the hype that it gets. We need to find ways to get more folks down for that experience.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I led a group ride of four around the city yesterday. For two of them, it was their first ride in the city and I don't think it could have gone any better. We started at Honest? John's and visited the Masonic, Campus Martius, Guardian Building (made 'em go inside), Riverfront, Tri-Centennial, Belle Isle, Heidelberg Project (spent time chatting with Mr. Guyton), Elmwood Cemetary, Dequindre Cut (to admire the grafitti), and Hamtramck (to watch a Derby Girl practice.) We finished up with a meal and Motor City Nut Brown Ales at Honest? John's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.