Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » DetroitYes... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 627
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone out there know if there other discussion forums similar to the DetroitYes website for other major metropolitan areas in the U.S.? Places like NY, LA, Chicago, etc.

Livedog2

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 989
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 24.247.163.145
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to any of those large urban discussion boards like urbanplanet.org and skyscraperpage.com and you'll find the New York, Chicago, and DC sections to be dead silent while their Detroit sections or other struggling cities in the midwest are full of discussion. It's probably because such cities do not offer enough things to do to keep people from sitting on their computer for hours complaining or dreaming on online forums. So yeah, basically I said what Motorcitymayor said in one word.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10299
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's probably because such cities do not offer enough things to do to keep people from sitting on their computer for hours complaining or dreaming on online forums.

Or maybe the people here simply care more, go figure. Not everybody wants to move to a city like Chicago where the prices are 4x what they are here. Where neighborhoods located close to conveniences, like train stations, retail, sports venues, etc are made up of many of the annoying features that turn some of us off from many of our suburbs here. Don't assume that because one lives in Detroit that they have a lack of better things to do than bitch and moan. We just prefer to be more vocal, as many of us fear the possibilty if Detroit becoming too much like a New York or Chicago. Go Figure

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 141.217.174.222
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I think many of us just want the simple confidence of knowing that our economy isn't just one day going to pack its bags and flee to Nashville, though.

It's one thing to have the convenience of a mega city like Chicago, DC, SF, or Houston, but it's another to strive for those things here but in the midst of knowing that ultimately our state is pondering outhouse status.

I'm one of those 20-something fighters, but there comes a point where enough is enough and Chicago and its similar urban problems that keep me in Detroit, look so much better for myself and my interest in urban revitalization.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3151
Posted From: 72.49.172.67
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"as many of us fear the possibilty if Detroit becoming too much like a New York or Chicago"

I'd say you have nothing to fear.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 636
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think there was another urban site as active and vibrant as the DetroitYes site. But, I have lived in LA, NY and Chi and am interested in the level of discourse about those places like I experience on DetroitYes.

I love Detroit but I'm an "Urban Rat" wherever I live. I love the heart of all the cities I have lived in because of the tremendous history and vitality that has existed in those places. The stories about NY are legend and it would be great to see people come up with the info we come up with on the DetroitYes site about NY.

At the same time there is certainly a dramatic history in Detroit like in no other urban metropolis, probably in the world. I believe this site captures so much of that history good and bad. I hope that Lowell is saving these posts for posterity because I think a lot of what is said here is very important. Maybe all these words and pictures will end up in the Burton Historical Collection.

burton

Livedog2

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 347
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too fear Detroit becoming a vibrant city that people want to live in. Gotta keep it safe for the hipsters.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1296
Posted From: 84.162.44.249
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heaven forbid the city becomes successful enough to keep the street lights on. That would just suck.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1322
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine,
fuck urbanplanet and their moderators. For those of you that know me, you will be suprised that they actually banned me over there for arguing with their moderators through a personal message (not for everyone to see). Imagine if that happened over here. I can't count how mny times I have seen people just rip into Lowell (Namely Karl and the other Bushies). Thank you Lowell for being a cool host.

Gumby

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah it was no suprise a moderator from GR that had me banned. Couldn't take ideas that differed from his and I called him on it.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 524
Posted From: 24.32.180.75
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog, the only forum I know of that comes anywhere close to Detyes is Urbanohio.com, if you happen to be interested in Buckeye land ...

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6308
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you that know me, you will be suprised that they actually banned me over there for arguing with their moderators through a personal message (not for everyone to see).

I do find that hard to believe. Typically your arguments are wide open. :-)

Cafe

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just don't call supersport a feminine hygiene product, that can get tricky.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2669
Posted From: 128.36.14.165
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

epilady?

Cafe

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a tv station over here called Supersport. i think he is a closet millionaire who is doing some kinda wacky experiment on all of you.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 24.247.163.145
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Or maybe the people here simply care more, go figure."

Well, if we all care more, then perhaps we should be doing a bit more community service out there. I took work off and helped clean up a park today, how many posts have you added?

Gumby

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol itsjeff. Yeah I am a pretty open person. Not as open as Gannon or manrooter but open nonetheless. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.