Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Macomb Daily off-base « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an editorial today, they called for the City to sell the Manoogian Mansion. If that's their opinion, fine. But where they are off-base is saying that the mansion is located in a "deteriorating eastside neighborhood." Wonder what they think about south Warren.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1857
Posted From: 70.141.182.220
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the ignorance... now another hundred thousand Macombers will read this and be reassured that even where Detroit's mayor lives sucks.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a link to this editorial?

If you want people to comment on it they should at least be able to read it themselves.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1160
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Macomb Daily only offers a limited on-line addition for free. You can access the entire paper on-line if you subscribe.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.79.99.69
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Macomb Daily is crap. Don't put any stock in their editorials.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 69.212.33.235
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its from Macomb, the area whose idea of high culture is having a Nino Salvaggios open up.

Hall Road mentality at its finest.

Macomb County, SE Michigan's low spot.

Sarabara
Username: Sarabara

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 68.41.61.223
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize that people actually read the Macomb daily (and I live in Macomb county).

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2407
Posted From: 4.229.72.29
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, another Macomb County bashing thread.... what a waste of time....

Bussey, what utopian neck of the woods do you live in??

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it's pointless, Gistok, it would certainly be painful to try to listen to a defense of the county. Other than largely giving the feeling of 'safety' to those who live there, what can it boast?

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1010
Posted From: 68.255.239.23
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abundant access to Lake St. Clair. For a boater, some parts of eastern Macomb County are good places to be.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you want lake access, buy the manoogian mansion... it has a boat house opening up to the detroit river (which, obviously is lake connected...) ...

oh, and that neighborhood, the berry sub is NOT a "deteriorating eastside neighborhood." i was raised there... my folks bought their house in 1983, and values there have gone up 8-10 times since then... macomb daily is bull shit... i maintain, especially since gannett bought the freep that the ONLY worthy paper in town is the metro times...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a partial list of things that Macomb County can boast about:
-- 300,000 jobs that employ 44,000 Wayne County residents and 40,000 Oakland County residents
-- Utica Community Schools, the second-largest school district in the state of Michigan, which has all 39 of its schools fully accredited and more than a third of them also designated as Blue Ribbon Exemplary Schools by the State of Michigan.
-- Macomb Community College, the second largest community college in Michigan, with more than 43,000 degree-credit students
-- Selfridge ANG Base, which is the only US military base in the state and also one of the busiest, most diverse military installations in the country
-- beautiful Lake St. Clair plus the Metropolitan Beach and Stoney Creek Metroparks
-- 10 sites that are on the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3067
Posted From: 68.252.125.198
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"if you want lake access, buy the manoogian mansion"

I assume this is supposed sarcasm, because it's too stupid to be anything else.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1596
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the article title "McComb Daily off-base" and I thought...

"again?"

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1047
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add to the list of things in Macomb County TACOM, (Detroit Aresenal) which when the BRAC commission is done with base realignment, will be THE facilty in the nation that does research and designs military vehicles for the army. This is a bright spot that is actually adding jobs to the Michigan economy, thanks in part to the areas automotive expertise.

Mikeg

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add to the list:

-- Mount Clemens General Hospital, with its 480 physicians, new Surgery Center, Gaberty Heart Center, the soon-to-open Wahby Cancer Center, and three satellite facilities in Shelby, Clinton and Chesterfield Townships, offers the finest in medical Care to Macomb County residents

Mikeg

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add to the list:

-- Rapp's, Verellen's, Blake's and Miller's Orchards featuring fresh, ripe peaches and apples in season
-- Achatz Handmade Pies - try their "Michigan 4 Berry Pie" (besides their first two stores in Macomb County, they recently added two stores in Oakland County. Those Wayne County residents who would like to partake but whose prejudices prevent them from traveling north of Eight Mile Road can always order on-line)

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 68.61.161.193
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO MIKEG!

Gistok

Post Number: 2415
Posted From: 4.229.105.170
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well since people have come to the defense of the county (it may not be as rich as Oakland County, but it's no worse than Wayne County outside of Detroit)...

1) Macomb County has the richest township in the state.... Lake Township (that small piece of the Grosse Pointes in Macomb County).

2) GM Tech Center.... perhaps the largest group of mid-20th century International Style architecture in the state.

3) Michigan's most palatial lakefront home.... The 76 room Albert Kahn designed Cotswold Cottage style Edsel & Eleanor Ford House, on 87 acres with 3,000 foot lake frontage (frontage includes Ford's Cove).

4) Macomb County's shoreline - the largest concentration of pleasure crafts in the world.

5) (already mentioned) Metro Beach, arguably the most visited beach in the state.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3069
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mount Clemens General Hospital...offers the finest in medical Care to Macomb County residents."

I can't wait to tell this to my coworkers on Monday. They'll shit bricks laughing so hard.

I know more people who wouldn't take their pets to MCG than anywhere else.

MCG isn't even the first choice to look at kids who have been abused or neglected. We send them to either Children's, Beaumont or St. John's.

Anyhoo, back to the positives. I'll second the agriculture kudos.

Mikeg

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok -

I was going to single out the GM Tech Center, but I see that you already did. The GM Tech Center is one of the ten Macomb County sites on the National Historic Register. Here is a good article about the history and architectural significance of Eero Saarinen's modernist masterpiece.

Hamtramck_steve -

When is the last time you spoke with someone who had been treated at MCHG? A child of yours who had arthroscopic knee surgery there in May 2006? A neighbor who had quadruple-bypass surgery there in June 2006? I realize that perhaps my evidence is too anecdotal, so please respond with the lowdown so that I can warn them before they go back there again. I'm sure that you must have some supporting statistics to back up such a widely-held opinion.

BTW, you ought to suggest to your coworkers that they find a different doctor if their painful laughing reflex condition persists.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1650
Posted From: 75.10.21.159
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father-in-law was recently rushed to the "Chop Shop" (MCG) from his work after having medical distress. He had all the classic stroke sypmtoms but the "doctors" at the Chop Shop couldn't figure out what had happened. After doing a CAT scan they said he just had a migraine.

His family doctor stopped in at the hospital the next day, looked at his charts and told the staff that my father-in-law has had a stroke. The doctors said they couldn't confirm that it was, but would do some further testing if the family doctor felt so strongly about it.

An MRI (which had to be stopped midway because they didn't take out my father-in-law's dentures even though he told them they were in) showed that it was indeed a massive stroke. Because the Chop Shop took so long to diagnose him, critical medicine that could have greatly reduced the effects of the stroke weren't administered.

The family doctor said it is literally a miracle that my father-in-law has had as little stroke damage as he has. He will likely recover with several months of physical and occupational therapy.

This is just one of several horror stories I personally know of and can confirm with the Chop Shop. If you have the option (which my father-in-law didn't) do everything within your power to go to a real hospital like St. Joseph.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pardon me, but were it not for Detroit, would there ever have been a Macomb Co.? Did Cadillac land in the MC or was it the 313? Just wondering.....

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has become a dumb discussion. Nobody said Macomb county was Afghanistan or something. Of course it's functional, has hospitals and jobs and stuff like that...there are plenty of finer points to discern, i.e. the attitudes and ignorance of some folks up there especially those who write bullshit in the Macomb Daily, and the people who read and believe it.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the Macomb Fail E, well they have to sell papers don't htey?

(Message edited by detroitej72 on July 09, 2006)

Mikeg

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mackinaw: "Other than largely giving the feeling of 'safety' to those who live there, what can it boast?".........
"This has become a dumb discussion."

It was dumb from the beginning and you have done abolutely nothing to elevate the discussion. If you want to form your negative opinions of a county based on the anonymous yahoos who sound-off in the Macomb Daily and the editors who who print their drivel along with their own poorly-reasoned editorials, you're just as ignorant as they are.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 69.212.33.235
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Gistok;

I grew up in Macomb Twp.

My utopian neck of the woods is anywhere outside of that area. You can boast all you want about the physical attributes of Macomb County but the citizens still have some of the worst overall mentalities of the SE area. Its a county of bigots and philistines, with few exceptions to the rule, while a few do exist.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, chill out about the hospital. I'm guessing from your reaction, you must be on staff or the board or something.

"Hamtramck_steve -

When is the last time you spoke with someone who had been treated at MCHG?"

We don't send our clients there, but that doesn't mean that we don't have any dealings with them. The most recent interaction was May 2006. It involved a severely disabled 18-month old with brain bleeds and a history of shaken baby.

"I'm sure that you must have some supporting statistics to back up such a widely-held opinion."

No statistics about how many things the hospital has botched, but an across-the-board agreement that MCG is not the place to go.

Mikeg

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, no affiliation here with any hospitals. I'm a retired auto engineer who is doing his best to stay positive, keep healthy and avoid all hospitals, regardless of what county they are in.

Gistok

Post Number: 2419
Posted From: 4.229.72.20
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey.... saying that most Macomb County residents are bigots and philistines is NOT TRUE!!! There are a lot of decent folks everywhere in metro Detroit. Just cuz in your neighborhood they happen to be Neanderthals, doesn't mean that most of the folks in other areas of Macomb County aren't decent.

Now I'll grant you that most of the folks who moved to northern Macomb County that are the "white flight" crowd are more than likely among those you describe. And they are the ones who are the "I haven't been to Detroit in 30 years" crowd... and their cultural deprevity shows it.

However making comments about lumping everyone into one basket sounds chillingly similar to the kind of statement that "those people" make about Detroit in general and African-Americans in particular.

Gistok

Post Number: 2420
Posted From: 4.229.72.20
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll grant you that there is a "red-neck" ring around Detroit's burbs. But that ring neither starts nor ends in Macomb County. I'm sure that Oakland, Livingston, and western Wayne have their share as well.

One thing we all know is that bigotry knows no geographic bounds.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 289
Posted From: 4.229.72.192
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize the Edsel Ford Home was in Macomb county. Guess I was fooled by the GP Shores mailing address.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1867
Posted From: 71.148.31.60
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey says "You can boast all you want about the physical attributes of Macomb County."

Boasting about that physical environment is very, very difficult.

Pam, there's a marker for the Wayne/Macomb line about 20 seconds before/after Lakeshore curves at the Ford House entrance. I would almost revoke the Grosse Pointe moniker from the Ford House environs for this most grevious offense. Likewise for the GP Woods Municipal park being located on a piece of purchased/donated Ford land.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1641
Posted From: 4.229.126.160
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is the silly defensiveness of this thread going to avoid the question or suggestion made to sell the Manoogian house?
Personally I don't like the idea. But then I did not like it when the aquarium was closed and I don't like the fact that the Mayor is willing to sell the Rackham golf course or the fact that the zoo almost closed.........it seems one of the Mayor solutions is to sell in hopes that somehow the budget crisis will somehow dissapear.
So while you all may not like the messenger(you all don't like any messengers) it aint the messenger it is the message.....Should they sell Mannogian?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 117
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Citylover and Mike G: The purpose of the thread wasn't to debate whether or not the Manoogian should be sold. It was to counter the paper's outlandish claim that the neighborhood where the mansion is located is "deteriorating."

Citylover

Post Number: 1642
Posted From: 4.229.126.160
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But that was not the point of the editorial was it? I did not read it but I think the relevant point was the suggestion that the city sell the Manoogian Mansion.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Detroit's daily newspapers (which are now printed in Macomb Co.) are stellar examples of journalism?

Mikeg

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll repeat my earlier comment about this thread: "it was dumb from the beginning."

It's kind of hard to know what the point of the editorial was since there is no link to what the Macomb Daily actually wrote or a transcript of it. The initial post mentioned selling the Manoogian, deteriorating east side neighborhoods and south Warren. Not surprising then that it got hijacked and turned into a "bash Macomb County" thread.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 990
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha. Kwame will never sell his house.... He'd need a new place to party. :-)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3505
Posted From: 69.209.190.240
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, in Sterling whites, I mean Heights if I call the cops they will arrive within 8 minutes or so. In Detroit, I'd be lucky if they arrive by Friday. Yeah, but Detroit has Lafayette Coney Island, so it wins.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I love how you and I spread "Sterling Whites" as a tearm for a bland so-called "city". Why not call it "Aluminum Flats"?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such a genaric, fake name for a city that once prided itself on being the whitest city in Michigan..... And I am speaking as one who went to stay with my Grandma & Grandpa Peper who unfortunatly lived in this "bubble"

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3506
Posted From: 69.209.190.240
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SH is bland and boring, but not trashy lol

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1869
Posted From: 69.221.78.10
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, MD editorials are not posted online (thank goodness).

I do agree that the Manoogian should be sold, perhaps not now, but later when its price increases. At present, fair market value for a house like that in that neighborhood would be $1.5m, perhaps pushing $2m. You can double that when it comes to the asking price, since there is the prestige/notoriety factor. This doesn't help the city coffers a ton, but it is the right thing to do. It was a gift, and it clearly isn't traditional even in this city for there to be a mayoral palace. The mayor should provide their own housing in the city, with a small security detail assigned to him/her at said residence.

I do not agree that the Berry Sub, Indian Village, Kean/Jeffersonian neighborhood is deteriorating nor deteriorated. Heck, near Jefferson in the Berry Sub are some mcmansions that would put even the most seasoned Macomber at ease. All I have to say is: some people need to get out more.

Citylover

Post Number: 1643
Posted From: 4.229.126.6
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is all a matter of perception really.While I agree that the neighborhood where Mannogian is nice I can certainly see where some might see the area as being a trifle more "scary" than most of Macomb county.
Btw I think it has been tradition for Detroit to be one of only two big cities to have a Mayoral mansion; the other being Gracie mansion in Nyc.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1001
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the tradition part, Citylover. Seliing the Manoogian for 1.5 million or whatever it would fetch would do very little to help a 1.4 billion yearly budget. In the short term, and the long term, it makes sense to keep the Manoogian as a tradition and staple to the mayor of the city, so that something can remain uniquely Detroit.

Odessa
Username: Odessa

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 70.229.228.200
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least Macomb Co., unlike Detroit is not full of murderous, drug dealing, gun toting felons. Oh yeah, more registered sex offenders live in the "313" than the rest of the state. That fact alone is what makes Macomb Co. a good place to live.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1645
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll grant you that most of the folks who moved to northern Macomb County that are the "white flight" crowd are more than likely among those you describe. And they are the ones who are the "I haven't been to Detroit in 30 years" crowd... and their cultural deprevity shows it.

However making comments about lumping everyone into one basket sounds chillingly similar to the kind of statement that "those people" make about Detroit in general and African-Americans in particular.

No lumping everyone into one basket with that first statement, eh Gistok?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.