Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Peanut Tax « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On August 8, 2006 it is likely that SMART will renew the property tax millage.

This passage is only an agreement to replace state transit money with scraps from City Hall.

This tax promises another Livonia because of open discrimination which the Transportation Riders United – TRU refuses to fight.

It’s time for people to do something instead of giving great speeches.

The road lobbyists have won the battle a long time ago.

The dedicated work of many is getting us closer to the TRUth that Woodward Ave will have rail someday.

But who will Pay?

The Federal government?, State Government?, the auto companies?, the Passengers?

Or will it be YOU paying another County tax increase?

Does it matter?

You tell me?

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the deal with Livonia? Did they somehow opt out?

Trainman

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Livonia resident, I tried to save SMART but unfortunately, the Michigan Department of Transportation is abolishing the fuel tax to operate public bus service.

A YES vote next August 8, 2006 means you agree that property taxes need to replace the state fuel tax.

A NO vote next August 8, 2006 means you want the state to restore essential funds to maintain our current transportation system.

Despite how you vote, not a single bus driver will lose their job or will anyone lose bus service.

You will hear that SMART will shut down if you don't vote YES, but this is not true. This is false propaganda promoted primarily by the road lobbyists and mis-guided transit advocates.

For more information, please request my Website which explains all the facts with references in detail.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already kknow several people who have lost their jobs at SMART as a direct result of less revenue coming in from Livonia.

Trainman does not know his facts.

Trainman, BTW, nearly everyone on this board are very supportive of the Detroit region and sees transit as important. In addition probably more than half the posters live in areas where they will not be able to vote on this millage (Detroit, many outer burbs, or outstate). Please do you campaigning elsewhere. You will be much more effective.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on July 14, 2006)

Trainman

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner

I don't care about the outcome of the SMART vote.

And the only people who will lose their job at SMART are those retiring. Employees of SMART are protected by federal laws. The Michigan Department of Transportation is required to pay them and transport anyone that is handicapped and loses bus service as a result of state cuts and/or millage loses.

What you are referring to is the high costs of medical insurance and not because of the loss of government funds.

The federal laws concerning transit funding are fully explained in my website. Transit funds for the handicapped are protected to qualify for federal assistance.

I want to educate the public, just like the Transportation Riders United. Thus my posts are relevant on any forum.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't care about the SMART vote, but you keep telling everyone to vote it down?????

MDOT does put a substantial amount of money towards running a transit system. If we want to improve the system, iuts going to cost money. The raising of the funds locally to expand the service will allow us as a region to have the say in how the system is operated and we would not be beholding to Lansing for operating the system. A larger system will automatically a better return from Lansing anyways as a larger system will get the area more bus or train grants. MDOT is obligated to match all those funds to purchase this equipment.

Again, you are not being effective as most folks on this forum are already transit supporters, live in the City so they cannot vote for SMART, or live far out of SMART's sphere of influence.

An as far as only retired people being affected by the layoff and federal regulations?? I don't know what kind of world you live in, but I know people in their 30's laid off from SMART. Federal regulations do no protect employees of local government.

You want to blame transit problems on MDOT, SEMCOG, the Feds, when you should be blaming the people who elect our leaders. If votors did a better job of voting for pro transit folks or letting current leaders know they will be voted out if they do not support transit then we deserve what we have. I know I write my leaders at the State and Feds, I know I have contacted the Detroit City Council (and remind them I voted them in).

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on July 16, 2006)

Trainman

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART is a state funded agency but unfortunately there are very strong efforts to remove all state operating funds.

We will then join 30 other states that do not pay for transit as opposed to staying with the 20 states that do pay.

What I propose is multiple tax mechanisms but MDOT and SEMCOG reject this as non-sense. So, YES I DO attack them and YES the SMART tax should indeed be defeated. This tax is presently supported as a charity and will never benefit our region until serious actions are taken to bring us into the world market place where we work to attract jobs as opposed to listening to the fantasy dreams of those who give great speeches and talk mass transit and raising taxes but do nothing themselves to actually improve public transit.

We need to lower costs period. Thus raising transit taxes is not smart but STUPID at the time of this post in the month of July and the year of 2006.

Is high cost public transit what you want?

Is NO voice in Lansing what you want?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.