Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Solutions for Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 64.7.187.178
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Subdivide Belle Isle- Make it an uppity, yuppity, bridged and gated community- and homestead all of the vacant lots in Detroit- Sell the produce to laid off auto workers and other unemployed Michiganders-
Start a TV show starring Kwammee and other Detroit notables- Call it, "Survive Detroit!"
Actually,Detroit could become a real vacation spot for people who love ADVENTURE, thrills, and chills-

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 299
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dill,
You scare me.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8607
Posted From: 70.54.70.136
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny is that you?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6286
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dillpickle, you depress the shit out of everyone. I'm going to start taking up a collection and we'll see if we can raise enough money to move you elsewhere.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2404
Posted From: 4.229.105.69
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dill & Pacy (and a few others) remind me of stuff I did as a kid to piss off my late father.... He was the Archy Bunker type. My buddy and I both knew the exact buttons to push to piss of both our fathers. Either bring up CAY or talk about the People Mover. If my father was yelling at me for something, all I had to do was bring up the People Mover or CAY, and that would send my father off on another tangent, thus sparing me any further turmoil.

Seems like both Dill and Pacy (and a few others) know how to push all our buttons.... setting us off into another long thread slugfest.

I think the 1970's band The Moody Blues said it correctly.... "It riles them to believe that we perceive the web they weave".....

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6288
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Pacy's trying to bait anyone. I think he really is that unpleasant and feels the need to share his bitterness with others.

Dillpickle I don't know about.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 204
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been my experience that the people who are the most cynical were ones who at one time were the most idealistic. It is basically a defense mechanism to keep from being hurt again. So when things go bad, which can easily happen as a result of self-fulfilling prophecy, you can have the pleasure in “being right”. Cynicism and sarcasm are the childish, passive aggressive behaviors of ones who feel powerless and like outsiders. You see it a great deal on the net, where people can hide their true identities.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 64.7.187.140
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow- thanks for the free analysis- I feel better already- what's your analysis of subdividing rackham golf course?
y not subdivide belle isle- the d could make a mint off of that-
and y not cultivate detroit's vacant lots?
that would be helpful to a lot of people-
good grief
- i love detroit

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 149.149.5.31
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not eliminate the city income tax, lower the astronomically high property taxes, and provide tax breaks to companies and entrepreneurs that will create jobs. Also, lobby the legislature to replace the SBT w/ one that isn't based on payroll size. Does that sound like a good start?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1171
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, ah, how would the city keep running then? or do you expect the city to rise up overnight?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MMM armchair quarterbacking/governing

Everyone agrees there are problems, it's those that don't consider the consequences to their proposed solutions that crack me up.

Everyman
Username: Everyman

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 68.58.41.232
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i kind of like thesubdividing belle isle idea, why is everyone treating it as troll?

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe I've heard somewhere that the city is effectively running and employing enough infrastructure and employees for a population of about 1.5 million, not 900,000. Simply cut back (i.e. get the unions under control). Also, sell off the water department (could probably net a quick 2 billion and improve service at the same time) and seek more federal dollars ear marked for urban development.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it that the suburbs can effectively provide services at tax rates much lower than the city. Does fiscal responsibility magically stop at 8 Mile?

For my information, does the city have a sales tax? Does the state tax code allow for municipalities to impose their own sales taxes? If so, institute a sales tax of about 1.5% on all non food and clothing items and services.

(Message edited by tndetroiter on July 08, 2006)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1172
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is it that the suburbs can effectively provide services at tax rates much lower than the city(?)

Who says they do?

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2731
Posted From: 69.17.38.195
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's obvious that Tndetroiter is a newbie on this board. The city is BROKE even when they charge ridiculously high property taxes and city income taxes. If we get rid of these, including the water department, where is Detroit supposed to get revenue? It's not as simple as it looks.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3066
Posted From: 68.252.125.198
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

suburbs ... tax rates much lower than the city.

institute a sales tax of about 1.5%

You can't bitch about the city's high taxes and immediately call for the creation of a new one.

Besides, state law does not allow local sales taxes.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburbs can have lower tax rates because they have higher property values.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 552
Posted From: 75.9.255.242
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
"I believe I've heard somewhere that the city is effectively running and employing enough infrastructure and employees for a population of about 1.5 million, not 900,000. Simply cut back (i.e. get the unions under control). Also, sell off the water department (could probably net a quick 2 billion and improve service at the same time) and seek more federal dollars ear marked for urban development."
______________________________ ___________________
Contrary to LVictoria's note ealier, these are all great ideas by TNDetroiter... the devil is in getting an adminsitration strong enough to make it happen and a population that will allow it to happen.

How do you alter the self-destructive actions of a dysfunctional city govt. and the residents who continue to elect this fine crop of politicians?

The incremental improvements and movement towards bringing in more educated, financially stable residents seems to be the approach being taken today.

Wonder if it will work?

Devolian
Username: Devolian

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 69.246.43.54
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my solution-

Find a good 2 square-mile radius block of land in Detroit somewhere. Move everyone out of it and force them into surrounding areas.

Demolish a good 2 square-mile radius of Detroit and begin digging. Subway, light rail, apartments, small homes, narrow streets, wide sidewalks, tightly packed commercial districts with lofts above, benches, bike racks, trash cans, men saying chip chip cheerio as they walk by.

Then we expand outward.

Time for a major overhaul.

If i was rich and had a couple billion to spare, I would definitely be the investor.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 149.149.5.16
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For my information, does the city have a sales tax? Does the state tax code allow for municipalities to impose their own sales taxes? If so, institute a sales tax of about 1.5% on all non food and clothing items and services.

Hamtramck,
Read my entire posts. If you eliminate the income taxes and lower the property taxes while adding a 1.5% sales tax that's exempt on food and clothing you're lowering the tax burden. The good thing about the sales tax is that it's a comsumption based tax that doesn't automatically nail you for being alive. I know that it's a bit regressive, but that's why food and clothing should be exempt. If you'll notice above, I was asking if state law allowed municipalities to impose sales taxes because I didn't know. I know they're allowed to down here in Tennessee.

Another thing that the region as a whole desperately needs is mass transit. I know that that is something that Kilpatrick is actually promoting. That's good.

quote:

The incremental improvements and movement towards bringing in more educated, financially stable residents seems to be the approach being taken today.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a couple months back outlining how Kalamazoo had started a program where the city whould pay for 4 years of tution at a Michigan public university if the student had attended all of his/her high school years Kalamazoo schools and had graduated w/ at least a 3.0. The article said that the program had sparked a lot of development and population growth in the city. But I do believe that the program was started with a sizeable endowment given to the city by a mystery donor. Still pretty interesting.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is it that the suburbs can effectively provide services at tax rates much lower than the city(?)

end of quote

NO, Don't cross 8 Mile, come to Livonia instead. A city where the city council voted themselves pay raises by shutting down the bus system.

I think some bus service is better then no bus service but try and tell our suburban, state and regional leaders this. If you can?

(Message edited by Trainman on July 08, 2006)

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tn, here is your entire post...

quote:

Why is it that the suburbs can effectively provide services at tax rates much lower than the city. Does fiscal responsibility magically stop at 8 Mile?

(Message edited by tndetroiter on July 08, 2006)

Please highlight for me where you say abolish all of the other taxes. Even after your editing, I still can't see where you say that.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 149.149.5.16
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:33 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Why not eliminate the city income tax, lower the astronomically high property taxes, and provide tax breaks to companies and entrepreneurs that will create jobs. Also, lobby the legislature to replace the SBT w/ one that isn't based on payroll size. Does that sound like a good start?

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3070
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistake, Tn. I didn't see that earlier post.

Trainman

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a very strong effort from state representatives to change the state constitution to allow local government to impose sales taxes. This is the key to funding mass transit according to many and is supported by the Transportation Riders United.

It is best to utilize multiple tax mechanisms to obtain more industry support and federal transit grants. If we can all work together to improve city services and bring good paying jobs to Detroit and fix government then local sales taxes can work.

It has been shown that sales taxes are best kept the same in every Michigan County to retain current jobs but this issue remains unresolved. I’m currently working to keep them the same in every county. I’m not interested in driving to the next city or county to buy my next car. And no, mass transit is not going to replace my car and yes, I do support mass transit.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 149.149.4.196
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they do let municipalities impose local sales taxes they need to put a cap on how much they add on to the state's current rate.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell Kwame by the pound!!!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Kwame want to put a tax on fast food at one point? That seems to have died out. The way my students eat fast food and the amount of fast food chains in the city, you'd think that alone could bring the city out of debt.....(snicker)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1688
Posted From: 69.220.37.181
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last thing that Detroit needs is an increase in the sales tax. On the contrary, Detroit needs its representatives in Lansing to lobby the legislature and the governor to allow Detroit to lower the state sales tax in Detroit for say 10 years. This would definitely spur economic development in the city, and motivate residents to spend money in the city.

It's probably illegal and the suburbs would want to sue saying that it's unfair. However, if this could some how happen, Detroit would improve. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Royce

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, I just came back from an indoor/outdoor waterpark in Sandusky, Ohio called Kalahari. I got to thinking about what it would be like to have something like this on Belle Isle. More specifically, my thought was that this place in Ohio is giving patrons the illusion of being in a much warmer place, but this resort in northern Ohio has the same climate as Detroit. Why go slightly south of the border(pun intented)when you can get the same experience(at least weatherize) here in Detroit?

Let me also say that there were SUV loads of families coming to this place. Another place just like it, "Great Wolf Lodge" is just down the street from Kalahari.

I know there are a few places like these in suburban Detroit, but Detroit should seriously consider jumping on the bandwagon and building one of these indoor/outdoor waterparks for itself. Any thoughts?

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 149.149.5.24
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,

Lowering the current sales tax without touching the city income tax or the high property taxes is Asinine. Given the choice between a low sales tax and high property taxes coupled with an income tax or a slightly higher sales tax w/ no income taxss and low property taxes, the latter scenario lends its self to growth more readily.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1648
Posted From: 4.229.132.87
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eliminate the salaries of city council people.They get paid nothing but...........they can create and hoard and gather as much graft and sweetheart deals an whatever else by selling power and influence....... that would be their pay.....no selling Belle isle or anything else.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 264
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burn that schitt down, burn it all!!!
Don't blame me, it's what the motto says.

Royce

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Tndetroiter, you have to start somewhere. Yes, property taxes and city income taxes need to be reduced. However, they don't affect everyone in the city as immediately as the sales tax. The unemployed or underemployed don't pay income taxes but they still buy items from the store that they have to pay sales taxes on.

Tndetroiter

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 149.149.5.8
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sales tax is state mandated. Michigan's sales tax is among the lowest in the country and it's exempt on food and clothing. Visit some other places, like down here in Tennessee where the sales tax is 10% and it's not exempt on anything and then bitch about how high Michigan's sales tax is.

You can start by lower the property taxes and eliminating the city income tax. Those two measures will spur growth faster than lowering the sales tax will.

Trainman

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please support my petition drive to protect mass transit funding and to increase bus rider-ship.

http://www.ipetitions.com/peti tion/Bus/

Or, publicly challenge this petition to make a better one.

Remember on August 8, 2006 the SMART property tax renewal does not mean more state or federal or industry supports for SMART.

The choice is up to all of us. We can clog up the roads or we can all work together to help fill the buss by having bus schedules and do our share to make the best use of our transportation system.

Royce

Post Number: 1714
Posted From: 69.209.147.45
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get rid of forumers who don't know how to scroll down to see if a topic has already been discussed.:-)

Royce

Post Number: 1717
Posted From: 69.209.135.5
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that more people would be chiming in on this thread. What gives?

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raise or lower the sales tax, there just aren't the sales rates comparable to an equivelent population in the suburbs ie. poverty and lack sales points.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 815
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know after you fix the tax structure, the crummy schools, the crime situation and lousy city services why not do something about how dumpy the city looks?
Except for some downtown development, the rest of the city looks like crap. I'd rather see empty lots than burned out, boarded and abandoned buildings along Grand River and other streets throughout the whole city.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.246.52.24
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul,

The entire city doesn't look like crap. There are certainly many areas that do but let's be real here.
TN - One of the reasons that the City has had a difficult time trimming the workforce is the unions. They won't concede anything even to help save the city from receivership. Their focus is the short term.
I don't know that a city sales tax will provide a base for much. Most residents have to leave the city for most things. There isn't even a place to purchase decent clothing (unless you consider Footlocker of Dots decent clothing).

I kinda like the idea about City Council. But, why is it that any time someone wants to rant about blame for the current situation they immediately focus on the mayor? Don't get me wrong, kwame has made his share of mistakes but I am just curious as to how the City Council gets away with their incompetence and complete lack of responsibility for the current situation. In my opinion they have done NOTHING to find solutions to the City's financial problems. Why aren't they culpable?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.