Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Gutted apartment buildings on Greenfield « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 774
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the deal with all those gutted apartment buildings on Greenfield just north of Grand River? There are three of four of them and it looks like hell.
Speaking of that...Red Devil pizza is still around the corner at Fenkell and Greenfield. I still remember the pools of grease in the pepperoni.Yum.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 68.166.44.44
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, don't knock the Red Devil! Great place has been there for 50 years. How many other restaurants of any kind have survived that long in Detroit? They must be doing something right. Besides, grease is good on pizza.

Those wretched and gutted apartments were once nice homes. More decline outside the CBD.

the river rat still goes to Red Devil

Paulmcall

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They actually had a Red Devil in Clinton Twp. a few years ago that had the same owners.
Do they still burn the crap out of them too?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 552
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Devil on Fenkell is a work in progress.. I met the owners when I worked at Home Depot a year or so back and they were turning it into a Sports Bar and Pizza spot.. but retain the Red Devil name.. I haven't seen any progress after they painted it and put a iron fence around it and that was like over a year ago....

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Devil still has Yummy pizza! Those apts on Greenfield look light they are slated to be either torn down or refurbed. They just got done tearing all the foliage out. It was horribly overgrown. There has been some activity there in recent months so hopefully, something is being done to them. They've been boarded up for some time. I pass them everyday on my way to work and am hopeful that they will be transformed into affordable housing in that neighborhood. I know they are working on a few of the abandon homes in that neighborhood and sprucing them up, tearing down falling down garages, etc. Will keep you posted once school starts and I pass by every day again.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 699
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think those are actually being refurbished. There is a company (the name escapes me right now) that refurbished many different apts on Greenfield between Fenkell and Six. I think these were supposed to be the next batch.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2624
Posted From: 128.36.14.165
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

red devil pizza is rustic bait. (ime quality fluctuates trip to trip but that's become part of the charm. have not been there is a while tho ... next time I'm home I'll make a trip ...)

River_rat

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River rat watched all those apartments being built in the 50's and they were good structures. The big question? Refurbished or are the scrappers at work? There was (is?) a big red brick apt at Fenkell and Winthrop that was really well built and was real good livin' in the late 50's.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That red brick apt is still there. Seems to be holding up rather well. The apts on the west side of Greenfield have been refurbed so I imagine that those on the east side of the street will follow suit. Seems I saw a sign or something to that effect up a while back. I don't think the pickers are going through there....it seems pretty well boarded up and hasn't been vacant THAT long. They keep throwing bulk trash out on the side on Chalfonte street.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 779
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That fire station on Greenfield near Fenkell was there when I was a kid. I remember hearing fire trucks at night when I lived on Winthrop near Kendall.
I can still see then widening Greenfield so many years ago. Wow, how things have changed.
I used to deliver newspapers around where those apartments were. Al's Alcove was the spot to pick up a pop.

River_rat

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 71.126.176.175
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River rat delivered the Detroit News on Greenfield, Winthrop, Forrer and Prevost from Puritan to Six Mile and watched the 50's change in that area. Newsboys made all of 2 cents a paper then and the average route had 60 customers. $1.20 a day no matter how cold, snowy or hot. The hard thing was you had to collect from all the subscribers yourself and pay for the papers first.

Work was hard but it provided a few bucks to watch a Tiger game from the bleachers at 50 cents a pop.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 669
Posted From: 172.146.240.172
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up near that neighborhood and it is so sad to see the shape of it now. As for Red Devil Pizzeria, they have great pizza. Thats great that they are still open! People have done a swell job of destroying the neighborhood.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 687
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River_rat, welcome to the Old Newsboys club along with me 'n jjaba. Great early training in the business world for a young'un. Too bad they are pretty much history.

To keep in line with the thread....yup, Red Devil, been there many times. Used to be our regular party place after bowling. Half our league went there every Thursday night. Sad to say I haven't thought of it in decades. I'll have to make it a stop this October on my annual trip back "home".

Paulmcall

Post Number: 781
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River Rat, where did you go to school?
I was at MOS and SMR in the neighborhood.
I had News and Free Press routes in those areas in the 60's.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, many of the homes in that area, in the area off of Chalfonte, are in great shape. There are a few that have been lost, are vacant or just need tearing down...but for the most part, the lawns are well kept, neighbors are friendly, etc. It would look alot better if Detroit had bulk pickup. Many evictions cause lots of trash!! Plus, many homes are getting refurbed in that area and there is bulk trash but not enough to warrant renting a dumpster. At Cooley, we have an annual senior hot dog cookout and the whole neighborhood comes over to share in the festivities, eat, laugh and have a good time. That area has some of the nicest folk living there! I also grew up on Winthrop and remember having great neighbors!

Paulmcall

Post Number: 782
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at 14034 Winthrop from 1951 to 1978.
Almost none of the business people are there from that time. Some of the buildings are but that's about it.
Going back there is like going into the Twilight Zone.

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 68.40.227.236
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are rehabbing those apartments. They did a lot of roofwork last week on them.

Mrkick
Username: Mrkick

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 69.220.225.86
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote " People have done a swell job of destroying the neighborhood"

I live IN that neighborhood, and it is not destroyed. The people are some of the finest hard working in the city with many years at the same address. Most of the lawns are finely pedicured and homes are well kept. Why does does a site seemingly to be a positive forum have so many negative vibes running through it?
By the way Red Devil is not open for business.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 701
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Red Devil close, I love that place.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7537
Posted From: 66.19.17.79
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrkick - We have a lot of ex-Detroiters thzt think theat the old times were heaven and nothing is left now. Ignore them and be happy that you are happy with your neighborhood.

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear from you. Most of us know the city is much better than it is represented and the people are what make it great

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MrKick......I agree with you. I work at Cooley and find that the folk in that neighborhood are friendly (they always wave as I come and go from work), they support us at games, practises, etc., and have helped our kids numerous times. It is much appreciated.....and you can tell your neighbors that we appreciate ya'll and the friendly atmosphere around the school! I thought I saw cars int he parking lot at RD a few months back. I haven't been there since a well needed after school get together a few years ago.

Rustic

Post Number: 2625
Posted From: 71.234.183.131
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MrKick, thanks for the info re Red Devil. Welcome to the forum, please post more often (9 posts in a year and a half? ... come-on share more), the best way to fight the negative vibes is to post positive facts like you did. Unfortunately the vast majority of Detroit's populated neighborhoods get virtually no mention on this forum.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4057
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, 14032 Northlawn, 1941-1961. Detroit 04.
Noble School, Tappan Intermediate, Cass Tech. Printing. Family lived in one house until jjaba left for college.
Detroit Times carrier out of Washburn and Grand River Station. Canvassed the new Livonia in the 1950s for customers for paper. Paper route in family 8 yrs. Bill always paid on time. Perfect record.

jjaba, Purely Westside, on the Grand River feeder bus.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand you frustration MrKick. I too am a lifelong resident and actually live in a neighborhood, not soome yuppie loft. Now watch, soon someones going to lamate how it will make a nice cheesecake factory or house of blues...

(Message edited by detroitplanner on July 06, 2006)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...AND THIS IS WHY PEOPLE STOP POSTING HERE!

It has been complained about before, but the site is named "Detroityes" for a reason!

There are a million places on the internet where you can go bitch, complain and lament over the city, but so few places where people who care can come celebrate what we have.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 24.28.88.45
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c,

While I appreciate your frustration, this is a walk in the park compared with the Non-Detroit side of the forum.

Were this thread transferred over there, I'm sure we would now be reading about how your blathering, braying, prattling, leftist, clueless, marxist, redistributionist views fuel your love for terrorism, hatred of america and willful murder of millions......

:-)

Eric_c

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, see Sarge, what happens is, when people go to college they get their heads filled with a bunch of big words and knowledge they aren't ready for. Then, they come onto internet forums to strut around like Banty roosters and espouse their newly-crafted point of view.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6277
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beg your pardon, Eric_c, but my opinions are perfectly cormulant!

River_rat

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall and jjaba, Not only was I a Detroit News paperboy, but a Times guy as well. But I delivered in the mid-50's. Times out of the Grand River-Southfield distribution center delivering on Archdale to Grandmont between Schoolcraft & Grand River.
Lived on Rutherford at Fenkell.

The neighborhood is pretty tough now. A few years ago the Crary-St. Mary's neighborhood association seemed to be making headway, but of late it seems to be regressing. I still go to the old area places that are still there.

There are a lot of good folks there who are trying, but the factors that plague the city in genral are toughest on them. Lots of boarded up and burned out homes and vacant lots where people I knew lived.

river rat of Crary Cooley and the Fenkell bus (to swipe a jjaba line)

Rustic

Post Number: 2629
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on guys, let's get back to extinct pizza joints, quasi-rehabbed space age apartment buildings and the living breathing Crary-StMary neighborhood beating away warm in the bosom of Detroit's vast westside.

River_rat

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "the Hut" for extinct hangouts in the Cooley area. Maybe it's not extinct. It was the spot for a group of Cooleyites in the past, the very distant past.

Eric_c

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cormulant?"

P'raps "cromulent" would be a better fit? :-)

(Message edited by Eric C. on July 06, 2006)

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 204.57.109.226
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your command of the language really embiggens one's spirit, Eric_c!

Eric_c

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I teach at Cooley and don't hear of kids talking about "the Hut".......I assume you mean pizza hut? Oh well.....and if anyone wants some BS shoved up their butts, try the Daily Hate thread.......LOL Talk about self riteous canchors.

River_rat

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 71.126.176.175
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hut was on the south side of Fenkell just east of Hubble. It was a soda fountain / light lunch place that was frequented by the students in the 50's and early 60's. Lots of kids would skip out to go there.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHHHHHHH, well, I think there MAY be a DQ still there.....but nothing much else.....We need places where the kids can just go hang out and feel safe. My mom and dad used to talk of places like that (they are Redford graduates in the late 50s mid 60s).

Rustic

Post Number: 2637
Posted From: 71.234.183.131
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

river_rat, I believe it became a coney island (nuthin special) by the late 70s/early 80's. As to what it is today I have no idea, I probably have not been there in 20 years lol!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2191
Posted From: 69.3.125.84
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad grew up behind those apts on Greenfield.
Al's Alcove...have not heard that name in a while.
Wonder if any of you GR/GF folks remember my grandparent's neighbors on Winthrop, The Cases and The Poets.
Barnesfoto, imagining Red Devil for breakfast

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Winthrop and Chalfonte but that was in the 60s, 70s.....don't remember any names, per se. We moved from there to West Parkway/Tireman area (the new house had an inground pool). Remember lots of folks from that area.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had the Gehringer's, Stolls. Ringers, Lings, Szymanski's, Murrays, Dolans, Claytons, etc around us McCauley's down by Kendall and Winthrop.
There was also a Japanese and Chinese family near too. A virtual United Nations neighborhood.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2193
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents lived at 14860, btw. Eaton and Chalfonte.
My grandfather died during the 67 Riots (of Natural Causes) and my grandmother lived there for a few years more. Later, my Aunt rented the house to a family named the Greenleys, who painted everything wild colors.
My first driving experience was at this house, when, sometime in the mid sixties, at three years old, got into my Grandfather's Pontiac, put it in gear, and rolled across the street onto the lawn of another house. I remember a woman with a beehive hairdo coming out and being quite excited.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barn: I lived at 14906 and was born in 67. I probably knew your grandmother or she knew of me and it was probably my MOM who had the beehive (she is a very excitable woman). We moved out in the 70s. Small world! We could have played together at some point since I vaguely remember some kids visiting their grandparents who I used to play with from time to time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.