Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Woodward Ave Rapid Transit Article « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1648
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, another great mass-transit article by Keith Schneider in the Metro Times:

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=9379

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 541
Posted From: 71.159.22.7
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else think that since we're the "Motor City" that there will be ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER FORMS OF TRANSPORTATION here?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1590
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell that to Stuttgart!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 35.8.144.6
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm stating the obvious...but I just cant stop myself.

Nobody's got big enough balls to step up to the plate and drop the money into a mass transit system, no matter where or no matter how big.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about great, he makes a lot of assumptions and threads things together loosely.

Most of SEMCOG's plans have nothing to do with increasing capacity, but replacing what is currently there.

I see him using Woodward as a way to bash government in General. All of the Cities he mentions as beacons are also sprawling; most far worse than Detroit.

Reads like rich fake liberal drivel to me.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1787
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great editorial.

quote:

All of the Cities he mentions as beacons are also sprawling; most far worse than Detroit.

All of those cities are part of growing regions, of course they will get physically larger.

We are a shrinking region, so it makes no sense to be expanding as we have been.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 68.166.44.44
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I expect to see steam locomotives pulling passenger cars down Woodward any day now! NOT.

Get real. Detroit will not benefit (or get) mass transit until it does two things.

1, Stop crime
2. Eliminate inneffective and corrupt politicos.

As the citizenry persists in electing oafs to office, persists in tolerating crime by accepting judges such as we have, and populating juries with apologists, 1. and 2. will not change and we won't get mass transit. End of story.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Js, he should be comparing us more to places like Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Toledo, and other places. My point is he is comparing apples and oranges and is assuming that transit and regionalism is an important factor.

There are places out there that are far more fragmented than Detroit, but have great transit. Look at Chicagoland for example. Is it perfect? No, but it is certainly better than most places for transit. In terms of regionalism, they have two SEMCOG types CATS AND NEPIC, as well as three major transit agencicies, hundereds of municipalities, more corruption than even Kwame gives us, the worst sprawl imaginable, and yet they can function transit. Chicago has nothing like Woodward, or any of our other great streets in terms of adapapibility for BRT/Streetcars.

We have a lot of assets, he portrays the area as spending too much on sprawl, when 90 percent of what he says is being to build new, is actually to reconstruct and repair existing. I think he is painting a picture that feeds the flames of 'why can't Detroit see they are pissing in their well when we up here in Traverse City can see it and advise them"? He should concentrate on the problems of Traverse City instead of pointing out the problems of others. Its real easy for someone who lives in a 95 percent white republican city to talk about race relations. I'd like to see MLUI do something about it. Put their money where their and mouth feet are

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1788
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Js, he should be comparing us more to places like Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Toledo, and other places.

St. Louis? Actually, Cleveland is another good example in many ways, even if it was not used.

quote:

There are places out there that are far more fragmented than Detroit, but have great transit. Look at Chicagoland for example. Is it perfect? No, but it is certainly better than most places for transit. In terms of regionalism, they have two SEMCOG types CATS AND NEPIC, as well as three major transit agencicies, hundereds of municipalities, more corruption than even Kwame gives us, the worst sprawl imaginable, and yet they can function transit.

Chicago is an interesting case. Because you are right that in many ways it is more fragmented. But the spirit of togetherness seems to hold greater Chicago toghether. Of course it has sprawl, it is growing up and out at the same time. But there is a choice that does not exist in Detroit, which is largely just spreading out. There is no growth, and little movement up.

Since SEMCOG's organizational structure enables the worst kind of groupthink imaginable, the people get stuck with a virtually useless organization. I don't know much about CATS, but what I have seen has led me to believe that it is a cohesive organization.

Chicago corruption? But river_rat told us that corrupt politicians are half our problem. How can Chicago be doing so well? Could it be...that...gasp....river_rat is wrong?

SEMCOG goes to great lengths to make it look like most of the road money is going to "fix it first." A great percentage of it is, but nowhere near 90%. A lot of capacity expansions are treated as safety projects. New signals, turn lanes, wider shoulders, and boulevarded streets might make things safer, but they have a primary effect of increasing the capacity of the roadway.

Similarly, a project like replacing a worn out 2 lane bridge with a new 4 lane bridge is often treated by SEMCOG as a repair of existing infrastructure. That is obviously only half true.

Even if only 10% of our transportation money was going to expansion, that is still a huge problem IMO. We should not be expanding our infrastructure (and our future obligation to maintain it) when our population and economic base is getting smaller....unless that investment will help to improve our economy and attract residents. It is pretty obvious to many people, probably including Keith Schneider, that rapid transit is that investment, but that a new, high capacity, Wixom Road interchange is definitely not.

Brandonz
Username: Brandonz

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 68.40.195.29
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MLUI really needs to open a Detroit office ASAP...

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2728
Posted From: 69.17.38.195
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, Brandon. Why the hell are they are in Northern Michigan? They need to think SE Michigan.

Another question: why can't the light rail system have electricity on the railings and not above the ground on freaken electricity lines?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody's got big enough balls to step up to the plate and drop the money into a mass transit system, no matter where or no matter how big.

End of Quote

This statement is not true.
Detroit has the best mass transit system in the World. It's called the free enterprise system.

It's best te defeat transit tax increases and this includes the August 8, 2006 SMART renewal which is a tax increase althrough called a renewal.

Getting Mass Transit to work without taxpayer support is a no-brainer. The answer is for the users to pay and if they dont' then let them walk or call a cab.

Mass transit taxes do not help the poor as one DYer falsely claimed in another post.

I clear up all the myths about mass transit and show the public the facts in my website. Please ask for it if you want to learn the facts.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 67.149.141.170
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that people don't get electricuted?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3969
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, get out of here you f%cking crackhead, now. lol

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 05, 2006)

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2729
Posted From: 69.17.38.195
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jas, people can get electrocuted with down power lines too. Especially if lightning strikes them.

Danindc

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, do you take a cab to and from work everyday?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New York got it right 100 years ago.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 67.149.141.170
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you think they should be put on the ground to save the wind the trouble of knocking them down and endangering people? I think having the wires is just fine.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 67.38.3.10
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and New York also has a lot of political clout. Detroit needs more lobbiest in D.C. to secure more money for a rapid transit system.

We can still be the Motor City...........trains have motors too. 313

Brandonz
Username: Brandonz

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 198.108.4.105
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Seriously, Brandon. Why the hell are they are in Northern Michigan? They need to think SE Michigan."

Accident of history, I guess. MLUI seems to have been birthed out of sprawl battles in NW Michigan and gradually worked their way toward a statewide focus from there. Although I do find it incredibly odd that they have still have so great a presence in the small tourist towns of the NW, a Grand Rapids office, and a Lansing office, and no presence in our state's greatest (and probably most distressed) metropolitan region. We need their voice down here... those other areas are small potatoes in comparison. Kudos to MetroTimes for giving Schneider such a prominent forum, though.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1729
Posted From: 70.227.207.217
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Get real. Detroit will not benefit (or get) mass transit until it does two things.

1, Stop crime
2. Eliminate inneffective and corrupt politicos.

Yes, because Detroit is the only city on the planet with either crime or incompetent/corrupt politicians.

River_rat

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 71.126.176.175
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek - Detroit isn't the only city with crime and incompetent and corrupt politicians but it has the most inept politicians, the perception (maybe reality) of the worst crime, and the Washington representation of Detroit is seen as totally irrelevent. Therefore, Detoit will get no $$$$ and have no rapid transit.

I apologize for telling how it is.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4490
Posted From: 198.111.165.50
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburbs are ready for mass transit, but not Detroit. If a white suburbanite says to KING KWAME and his CLOWNSIL folks. they would problably say " LET US THINK ABOUT IT." It's going to have too much talks, money and voting approvals to make the Woodward mass transit happens. Or it could die out.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2762
Posted From: 69.213.205.237
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And how is that Gospel River_rat? Cause Time Magazine said so?

Danindc

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stabenow did manage to get $100 million for the AA-Detroit transit study. The problem now is two-fold: 1) a lack of political will on the local (county) level and 2) for as much as Michigan loves to tout its "local control", the current state Legislature will do everything it can to not invest money in transit in SE Michigan

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 68.248.3.236
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the contrary, I'm almost positive that Kwame had always been in support of light rail. The fact that Patterson is just now softing up to the idea is a major ice breaker alone.

River_rat

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 71.126.176.175
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit stylin... No, because the Congress appropriates the money that makes any rapid mass transit possible and it won't come here because of the reasons I stated.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our mass transit systems are generously funded by the taxpayers in southeast Michigan. Rail will work if we can fix and maintain our current mass transit system becuase this will attract more good jobs.

It's money from jobs to pay at the fare-box or monthly passes that is the best answer to improve mass transit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.