Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » That's my girl! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1162
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minnelli raises big bucks for Music Hall

Hundreds of exaggerated likenesses of those famous lips were stenciled on the side of the Music Hall building, on the sidewalk, in the street and on the steps leading right up to the front entrance of the Detroit Athletic Club.

Whose lips, you say?

None other than Liza (with a Z) Minnelli, who breezed through town on June 9 to perform for a benefit for Music Hall Center for the Performing Arts.

After an absence of more than 15 years, the legendary Minnelli returned to the Motor City (she hasn't been here since she was on tour with Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr.) as the centerpiece of Music Hall's fifth annual Cars & Stars Gala, the nonprofit organization's largest annual fundraising event.

Nearly 400 people shelled out $350 each ($500 per couple) for a lively preshow cocktail party held on the first floor of the D.A.C., a remarkably entertaining show from Minnelli at the Music Hall, and a post show dinner and dance spread throughout three dining rooms back at the club.

Last year's Cars & Stars, which featured Natalie Cole, raised $350,000 for Music Hall's programming and educational outreach programs. This year, with General Motors serving as the lead sponsor, and additional support from DaimlerChrysler and Ford Motor Company, nearly $574,000 was raised.
Also up for sale to the general public were 1,000 concert-only tickets priced from $55 to $125.

(the lips where static cling, not stencil, and Liza had actually been here once since the Ultimate Event, but those are minor quibbles)

ps - some clips from the night available on Youtube. A good size crowd was waiting at the stage door.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 639
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liza sat in at BoMac's in the early 1990s.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8597
Posted From: 70.54.70.136
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet Manrooter is quite excited.

Manrooter
Username: Manrooter

Post Number: 416
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there. DialH and I went and had a great time. We bumped into Crew & Mr. Crew after and grabbed had drinks.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 990
Posted From: 146.9.52.133
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

literally...bumped right into me...nearly knocked me over too!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.