Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Michigan Central Depot Souvenirs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 262
Posted From: 69.246.59.170
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been collecting Detroit memorabilia for about 15 years now, and during that time I have acquired several items I assume to be souvenirs from the MCD gift shop. What interests me is the fact that they all carry the identical image of the depot somewhere on them. Some of the items are useful like the paperweight or sewing kit and others are downright hokey like the ship's wheel or change purse. I also have found several variants of cups and saucers, with slightly different designs and one "bullet" pencil. I know there is also a thermometer, but I am not in possession of one.

I am curious if anyone has any of these or similar items, or if anyone can shed any light as to their history.

Binoculars

Bottle Openers

Glass "Beer Bottle" S&P Shakers

Plastic S&P Shakers

Glass Paperweight

Pocket Mirror (on reverse side)

Sewing Kit

Glass Ashtray

Pin Cushion

S&P Shakers with "Nautical" Themed Stand

Tape Measures

Glass Ashtrays

Glass & Plastic Ashtray

Change Purse (my personal favorite)

Letter Opener & Ruler

Small Plate

"Bullet" Pencils (top one has the repeated image)

Plates and a cup with slightly different designs

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1216
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! The only MCS souvenir we have is a lousy postcard. (although I think the postcard may be the same image as these items)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 810
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool picts. My great aunt, a lifelong city resident, just moved to a retirement home. We had to clean out her home, which was full of clutter dating back to the late 1940s. We're talking piles of reciepts from Hudson's, old cashed checks from banks that don't exist anymore. In the middle of all this stuff there were some real diamonds in the rough. My personal favorite is this letter opener, I dug out the bottom of an old box that probably hadn't touched in decades.

It's about the size of a thin rifle bullet. It's made of what I think is brass with an aluminum (?) crest wrapped around it. The inscription at the top of the crest reads:

quote:

DETROIT - MICH.
HEART OF THE CITY

It appears to be a scene of what Campus Martius once looked like. I think the old City Building is on the left with an old hotel (I can't remember the name of the one the 1001 Building replaced) on the right and Michigan Avenue running between them. I believe Woodward is running in front of them. It's easier to see this when holding it rather than showing it in photos, but I'll try.

If you press the button on the top, where the ring is attached, a small, dull blade pops out of the bottom.

My aunt didn't remember anything about it. Has anyone here ever seen a letter opener like this before, know who made it, any story behind it? It's one of my favorite knick knacks and I would love to know more about.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 263
Posted From: 69.246.59.170
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ready for the irony, E_hemingway?

Check this out:

As you can see it is the exact same image. Just came across the box on eBay today. Here is the link as I am sure you'd be interested. The building to the right of the Old City Hall is the Majestic Building, built for Mabley's Department Store, an early and fierce competitor of J.L Hudson.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4041
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is actually a Detroit Torah Pointer used on Shabbos. The reader and an assistant point while they read the weekly portion. The Bar Mitzvah bukkor has a part to read while his father points.
The artifact could be 5,000 yrs. old. Hang on to it.

We refer to it as MCS yet the items mostly say Michigan Central Depot. Why the change of name?

jjaba, Westsider. (LOL)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 501
Posted From: 69.242.39.114
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The station never had an "official" name, literally, nothing ever set in stone. Railroad workers typically just called it "MC Depot."

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2612
Posted From: 130.132.123.28
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that campus martius stiletto kicks ass ...

ime stilettos were popular with girls from Highland Park ...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.