Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Is this just a little bit strange? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1822
Posted From: 68.248.1.118
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060702/NEWS05/ 607020649

The fact that this is a hit demonstrates just how wierd our society has become...apparantly this 'indoor' recreation facility is a regional draw because of 'safety' concerns. I thought people moved to Howell Twp. for the fresh air and safety, but even here people are cocooning in an indoor complex near, of course, a mall.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1676
Posted From: 75.9.244.48
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a glorified Chuck E. Cheese or Jeepers.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 516
Posted From: 192.85.50.2
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sounds like fear driven decision making which is very comment. When it comes to fear, people don't think logically. People fear flying in a plane but are comfortable driving a car. The fact is your safer in a plane. Forty two thousand people die each year in vehicle accidents while only a hundred or so die each year due to a plane crash.
Once a month there is crime in a nice suburb and the reponse from the citizen being interviewed is almost always the same. "I can't believe a crime happened in a such a nice neighorhoods." People think that if they purchase a house in a nice neighborhood that crime will not exist. Crime exists everywhere.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 841
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats wrong with going to a park?
-shakes head

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 604
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Sharmaal.

Or just playing in the street? Did it all the time when I was a kid. Never knew anyone that was hit by a car either.

Just another way to use fear to separate people from their money...

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 535
Posted From: 71.159.22.7
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Discovery Zone's back!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Sharmaal. I thought that maybe my outdoor-centered lifestyle which includes such things as backyards, parks, sidewalks, and waterfronts was a little out of the mainstream after reading this. Imagine the newest generation of kids growing up with stuff like this--"indoor playcenters"-- give me a break. It's like the McDonald's playscapes, except families make a day of it.

But, of course, this is just an extension of malls as a replacement for open air mainstreets, and grocery stores as a replacement for markets. Sad, sad world...

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 660
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the article:

"We're drawing people from Detroit, Grand Rapids, South Lyon, Bloomfield Hills, Novi and out of state," Grant said. "They say there's nothing like this."

Out of state? Are you kidding me?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 958
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Steve Vowles said he appreciates the fact that his daughter, an only child, can play with other kids at a place that's only 4 miles from their home.

ONLY 4 miles? Are you kidding me? As an only child, the park down the street seemed to work just fine for me.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally. This just shows how low the standards are when it comes to aspects of community in the exurbs. Walkability and having a planning scheme where residential areas can be close to anything (whether retail, schools, or recreation) is completely nonexistant out there. All must be subservient to the almighty gas guzzler.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These play centers are why kids are NOT creative. They should experience skinned knees, bug bites and the yelling of CAR during a game of "see who can break the window of the lady next door" in the street. Kids are smaller today because they need sun to grow....I'd much rather risk my kids playing in the neighborhood (where I can HEAR them yell CAR) than them getting mennengitis or something from these playscapes (not to mention the pervs that go and hang out because it's a mecca of kids. It's just LAZY parents! They want air conditioning....I feel the same way about mall play areas. Stay home.....get a fence, teach kids responsibility and the act of humble play.....ya know, with a box or an old ball.....and a basketball hoop made of a milk crate! Grabage bag slip n slides....(can ya tell we weren't well to do?) Made me have morals and values and love the outdoors and focus less on materialistic things. I can do without air conditioning (never turn mine on)...and know how to enjoy life.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livingston County is full of scary, angry white people who like to tailgate you in their behemoth pickup trucks and SUVs. I just had my 400th negative experience with a resident there over the weekend, this one over a fairly innocuous comment I made in jest and a guy who claimed he would kill my mother if he learned I was a Democrat. I'm frightened of that place and suggest avoiding it at all costs.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1038
Posted From: 69.221.69.131
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look for lots of stories on Howell and the exurbs in your new Gannettoid Freep...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, I'm sure the parks, playgrounds, soccer fields and every other outdoor recreation have not been emptied and been replaced by this indoor playground. It's just another option for kids to have some fun, especially in the winter time I would think.

I'm not getting the connection between this indoor playground and September 11th. People want to hunker down and cocoon? If I didn't know better I would have thought one of you suburb hating people on this board made that statement.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1721
Posted From: 69.212.60.108
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the saddest thing about this is how often 9/11 was mentioned as a rationale for this kind of a lifestyle. Some folks really need to turn off Fox News and get on with their life.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be a right winged scare tactic to benifit someones pocket book :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt that, but yeah Rjk, that came way out of the blue. That made reading about this wierd thing even wierder.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.