Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What will kwamee sell next? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 64.7.188.164
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any ideas?

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3050
Posted From: 68.252.125.198
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully he uses the proceeds to buy you a dictionary and a life.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4479
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KING KWAME may sell half of Detroit to Dearborn if he wants to.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3486
Posted From: 69.209.183.46
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

his kids

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6096
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you think the illegitimate ones are worth MORE or LESS?!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1141
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa!!!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10264
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quit Kwame hatin'!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1149
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what has Kwame sold so far?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These cool t-shirts!
http://www.kingkwame.com/

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 666
Posted From: 172.145.213.122
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems as though Detroit is having an "EVERYTHING MUST GO SALE".

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1928
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He needs to sell 'control' of Belle Isle to the state. I know it's hard to embarass the citizens of Detroit, but when the 'Gem of the city' looks more like a polished turd, hopefully someone is embarrased. Sad truth is that I don't think anyone really is. Just excuses as to why it's in the shape it's in.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it seems that way Damon but other than some houses to his buddy and maybe a few buildings the city doesn't use what has he sold?

The Rackham deal got rejected and most other major things have been turning over managerial tasks, not sales

(Message edited by lilpup on July 01, 2006)

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 66.174.79.232
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, personally, applaud Mayor Kilpatrick for evaluating what city assets are "core" service-related and making tough decisions as to what to do with the chaff. The days of having a tax base that allows us to maintain non-core assets are over, as our tax base has seen a drastic reduction in the preceding decades.

If he were the CEO of a business, he would be lauded for his "leadership" in reorganizing an out-of-sync bureacracy/organization.

Some people are simply "rabble-rousers," who have no other agenda than to simply cause dissension among the populace.

And this comes from someone who voted for Hendrix. (I voted for Mayor Kilpatrick in 91). I can accept the fact that he has become more focused this term, and now I am very comfortable supporting him as Mayor.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1143
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more I live through Kwames 2nd Term...the more it seems like we are living in Sim City

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks he'll start selling the garbage he's charging to pick up (that's in addition to taxes that should already pay for trash pickup).....migghty nice profit ($300.00 per house PLUS the profit from what he sells it for!!)MY thoughts are he could sell off some of the old unused school buildings (a fraternity offered a tidy sum for one and was turned down)....would love to see community centers or clinics in those old buildings! I know I know...DPS owns them.....but JEEZ....they could be serving the community much better than they are sitting vacant!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 959
Posted From: 68.21.33.215
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is losing money on garbage, not profiting $300 per residence. The fee will help to close the gap on the money lost on garbage each year, and 3 mills will be taken off of your taxes

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 989
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron: "And this comes from someone who voted for Hendrix. (I voted for Mayor Kilpatrick in 91)."

Just out of curiosity, in which year's MI state legislator election are you running?

Somehow, I have a big disagreement concerning your past "voting" record. And you ain't even in yet...

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean we'll be getting quarterly bulk pickup back starting in Nov.?

Ron

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 66.174.79.237
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now now Livernois, that's not nice, pointing out a little typo like that.

My personal decision as to who to vote for is just that....personal. I shared it with the forum to make a point. (Point being, just because I didn't vote for Mayor Kilpatrick this time around does not mean that I have to criticize everything he does; I actually agree with a number of his proposals)

But anyways, thanks for pointing out the typo; I voted for Kilpatrick in '01, not '91. Minor mistake, I hit the 9 instead of the 0, and I'm sure the vast number of forumers recognized this. (Look down at your keyboard, along the number keys at the top, see how the 9 is right next to the 0?)

I voted for Mayor Kilpatrick in '01 due, in large part, to his reputation in the State House as being a legislator who is able to work with both sides of the aisle; something I think that is necessary to get constructive legislation passed that benefits Detroit.

But alas, I have again taken Mr. Yard's bait. (Kind of fun, to tell you the truth)

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 70.227.206.148
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell the naming rights of "NINE FO" to P Ditty

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 990
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tip: Try using the '9' on the pad instead of the QWERTY part of your keyboard. That '9' is not right next to the '0'.

That's the only part of your voting record that I was in disagreement with--your phantom voting in elections before your time. BTW, did they have a mayoral election back in 1991? Or was KK in office so long that you, as a returning time-traveller, could have voted for him in 2091?

But, it's a relief knowing that you're one of us by admitting your "key" problem. We'll call off the black ops guys, for the present...

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor.....I wasn't saying he wass going to profit the 300.00 I just said he'd profit from the SELLING of the GARBAGE....I was being facititious.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3948
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, people bitch if he tries to hold on to thing, and they bitch if he tries to sell them or give them away. How can he ever win?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome to politics

politicians win when they get what they want

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 71.126.173.231
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atl runner....He needs to sell 'control' of Belle Isle to the state. I know it's hard to embarass the citizens of Detroit, but when the 'Gem of the city' looks more like a polished turd,"

My financial management group has been trying to buy Belle Isle from KK and the former mayor for years. Our offer of $500,000,000 for the island and the bridge and approaches stands. We will allow the DYC, USCG and the Dossin to stay on what will be Belle Isle Township.

Just think of all the good that KK could do with the money and what we could make Belle Isle.

the river rat and financial group keep tryin'

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote; These cool t-shirts!

Those are too funny! :-) I gots ta git me one of those. Where are the t-shirts with his "aide" Beatty's face on them ("do you know who the
F_ _ _ I am" )I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

Ron

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 66.174.79.241
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, being an elected official is a difficult job, because you are never going to make everyone happy. Public policy is a zero-sum game, and there very rarely is an issue that is black and white. It is far more common for policy decisions to be a "shades of gray" pheonomenon.

I also, maybe naively, believe that many go into politics with altruistic motives. But I also believe that it is easy to become corrupted by the process, in that legislation is passed by forging coalitions, and those coalitions are created by each side giving up a little bit of what they want. This process can leave many disillusioned.

While I do not consider myself a "politician," I am running for office. I am doing so because I believe that there is a definite lack of leadership on certain issues, one of them being our local problem of regional distrust.

During the course of my campaign, I have been visiting many of the senior citizen homes in my district. When I talk about the issue of the Detroit-suburb relationship, the discussion always centers on the historial racial strife we have experienced in Detroit. This is understandable. I also like to think that, just by discussing this issue with many seniors, it is helping to rectify a long-term problem. There simply comes a time when we must move forward together, or fail separately.

Anyways, I know your comment was not calculated to elicit such a response, it was just something I wanted to share about my experience thus far in my campaign.

And Livernois, thanks for calling off the hit-squad. :-)

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 961
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"migghty nice profit ($300.00 per house PLUS the profit from what he sells it for!!)"

That is the part I read, Detroitteacher. I knew you were being sarcastic about the selling of the garbage part though...

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2356
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee another bash the mayor thread...so old...over something stupid again!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering the state this city is in, what do you expect? People to start singing…
Kwame, how I love ya, how I love ya, my dear old Kwame.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3950
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm convinced any man or women than wants to be mayor or sit on the Detroit City Council are either naive and stupid, or brave as hell, as there is no "winning" in Detroit politics. How can you win when your cities future was banked on an unshaky industry that has gone global? Detroit is largely the way it is not just because of incompentent leadership (or not even mostly), rather it is a victims of its history and circumstance. If Mayor Kilpatrick and the council don't sound off on releasing control to private parties at Eastern Market, the Historical Museum...blah, blah, blah...they are hurting the city. If they try to sell off land or other properties they are "giving the city away." Detroiter's, and I mean this in the most general sense inclusive of all Southeast Michiganians, are some of the most negative and complaining persons I've ever come across.

Danny

Post Number: 4481
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT FOR SALE: HERE'S THE SCOOP.

http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200607 03/METRO/607030364

Just recently the protests are at the city county building. Demanding a RECALL of KING KWAME and the rest of city " CLOWNSIL". The recall petition may happen during the summer and it may end up in the November election.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 534
Posted From: 71.159.22.7
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like everything else.

Detroit sells land to plug budget

Officials hope to raise $30 million by selling everything from tiny lots to a camp in Brighton.

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Advertisement

GET FREE HEADLINES BY E-MAIL

Printer friendly version
Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery
DETROIT -- The city is putting out a "For Sale" sign on more of its property, to infuse its shrinking finances with cash and discard land it's not using.

Surplus land sales in the last fiscal year brought in $32 million -- double the previous year's total. In the coming year, Detroit officials hope to sell another $30 million worth of property it no longer wants.

Much of that property is within city limits, but some of the most desirable land on the block is in the suburbs.

Some critics worry that the city is too quick to sell its jewels to plug the budget with a one-time windfall. That was among the arguments that City Council members cited Friday when they rebuffed Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's first attempt to sell Rackham Golf Course in Huntington Woods to developers for up to $11 million.

Other big-ticket properties for sale include a 200-acre summer camp near Brighton, three closed police precincts, part of Rouge Park and, possibly, other city golf courses.

An upcoming report could recommend selling other parks in empty areas of the city -- not just for the profit, but with the hope of making way for new, tax-paying housing developments.

Detroit is counting on these sales to offset budget deficits. Without them, it could mean it will have to cut more or borrow more to keep the city going.

"Those holdings represent the heyday of the city," said Robin Boyle, a Wayne State University urban planning professor. "We are in a new world. It makes accounting sense."

Surplus land available

The $32 million in surplus land sales this year include everything from a parking lot on Michigan Avenue for $3 million to $646,000 for 51 acres toward the Far Eastside Project, one of the biggest housing developments in the state.

Last week, the city closed on a $3 million deal that will be the first phase of a $12 million agreement to sell about 310 acres it owns at the old Detroit House of Corrections site in desirable Plymouth Township; more of the land will be sold in September. The city bought almost 1,000 acres in the area in 1917 for a prison farm.

But it was the potential sale of the Rackham Golf Course that got the most attention recently because of the bidding war between developers, who want to build homes, and Huntington Woods officials, who want to keep it a golf course.

The city had hoped to record Rackham as a sale for this fiscal year because the city's total land sales are short of a $40 million goal. But on Friday, questions persisted over the deal.

"I don't think we should act as if we're in such dire straits that we should look to sell off every asset," said Council President Kenneth Cockrel Jr.

City officials have said they want to get out of the golf business and said they may be willing to sell other courses, including Rogell Golf Course in Detroit.

By selling property such as golf courses and other surplus land, the city is slimming down to basic services, they say.

But some argue selling land alone won't be enough to turn the finances around.

Breathing room sought

"Those actions don't lead to a long-term structural solution," said Jonathan North, a vice president at Moody's Investors Service, a credit rating service. "At the end of the day, it provides the city a little breathing room."

The city is close to a deal to sell the Detroit Recreational Camp, known as Camp Brighton, to a nonprofit, said Douglas J. Diggs, city planning and development director.

The 200-acre camp, with a 40-acre lake, was a destination for city kids for decades, since Detroit bought it in the mid-1920s. But it's been mostly closed in recent years, even with the city spending $5 million on renovations between 1997 and 2002. This year, it was reopened for rentals, such as graduation parties and family reunions.

Diggs won't identify the buyer or the price tag, but Livingston County officials said the city was asking $8.5 million at one point.

There may be resistance among some council members.

"That's the only place inner-city kids have to go," said Monica Conyers, council president pro tem. "I want to make sure that we aren't just selling everything."

Diggs said the buyer wants to keep the land a camp, and will let Detroit kids attend.

And Camp Brighton may not be the only park land to be sold. The city's master plan for parks, which is expected be issued this summer, may recommend selling parks in unpopulated areas. But if they are sold, parks would be added in more populated areas, officials said.

Diggs said the city plans to offer for sale five parcels in Rouge Park this week.

Monitors urged

Big properties aren't the only ones the city wants to unload. It's vowing to cut through its notorious red tape and sell smaller parcels quicker -- especially vacant lots sandwiched between homeowners.

But as Detroit becomes more aggressive about selling land, observers say it needs to monitor potential buyers, to avoid speculators and slumlords.

"We advocate that the land not be sold to the highest bidder … that the land be sold to responsible developers and that the longer-term value is considered and not just the short-term revenue," said Katy Locker, director of the Coalition for a Detroit Land Bank, a group working to revive city neighborhoods.

Until recently, the city didn't have a clear idea of just how much vacant land it owned.

A five-year partnership between the city and the Detroit Local Initiatives Support Corp., a community development organization, cleaned up the city's database of surplus property in the Planning and Development Department from an estimated 40,000 parcels to about 27,000. Researchers visited every property and mapped them, using GPS technology.

Now, city officials will be able to definitively tell potential buyers whether the city actually owns a lot, and can sell it.

That's good news to Willie Riddle, who has been mowing one of six vacant lots near his house for more than a year. He wants to fence off the property so he can create a bigger yard for his three young children.

The city hopes to roll out a program soon to expedite the sale of vacant lots to adjacent homeowners for $200 each. And others are pushing for a city land bank, to clear titles more quickly and get better access to special financing -- similar to a recent land bank created in Wayne County.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10274
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is are new and improved Coleman A Young. You best get used to him, he's gonna be mayor for a long, long time.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3961
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think so? I still can't feel the political environment out in Detroit, but, to me, Kwame is no Coleman Young, and I mean that in a bad way. Kwame has definitely been a breath of fresh air, but I don't think he has anywhere near the amount of leadership skills Young had, and maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I don't think he can learn or be taught them, either. New and improved? I really think it's just the former.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame wants to sell Rogell golf course, and parts of Rouge park (I believe the golf course) and anything else that's enjoyable in the city. I think we need to start drug testing our elected officials, cuz he acts like a crackhead in need of some cash.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Ben!

Lilpup

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recently I was told (but haven't independently confirmed) that in some neighborhoods heads are turned when it comes to adjusting up SEVs for residences sold or repaired. One gent mentioned houses being listed for 7 to 8 times less than they should be. Then people wonder why the city has no money.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 69.219.35.53
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading the News article and Conyers talking about not selling Camp Brighton, because residents don't have any place to go...What about the infamous jewel, Belle Isle??? Clean up that place and sell Camp Brighton. The city is in desperate time and if anyone would buy the properties that are rumored to be for sale, the city should take the money.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame and the city of Detroit should sell the Detroit Department of Transportation DDOT to a private company.

This will save the city taxpayers over $70 Million per year and at the same time increase bus rider-ship. A competent owner will easily bring back jobs to the downtown and slash costs. In addition, the buses will run on time and will be clean.

For more information just ask and I'll send the link that shows how, if interested.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2386
Posted From: 4.229.72.152
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, you take the term "Slippery Slope" to a new extreme....

(Message edited by Gistok on July 04, 2006)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard Camp Brighton was closed except for pricate events. No campers, no park, no nothing. The people of the city aren't using it anyway! It's certainly not benefiting the kids as one councilperson claimed. Sell it and clean up Belle Isle......I agree with you Spirit.

Trainman

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame could double the cost of parking tickets and impose a downtown parking tax to support DDOT. Then more people will fill up the fare-boxes and he will not have to sell as much property to help balance his budget.

Since it's easier to collect parking tickets with boots and stopping people from renewing thier licenses, this will work.

Kwame says he supports transit anyway, so why not raise more from downtown parking? Anyone who can pay $12 to $40 to park, certainly can pay more for DDOT and also more can be raised from parking tickets.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 992
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a downtown tax for parking lots/structures (per car)?? The City of Cleveland charges a tax to the parking lot/garage owner for each car that is charged...this would generate some $$ and may encourage the downtown lot owners to develop something else instead.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 510
Posted From: 35.12.23.98
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"An upcoming report could recommend selling other parks in empty areas of the city -- not just for the profit, but with the hope of making way for new, tax-paying housing developments."

All the vacant lots should be developed before the parks. If the parks were cleaned up, they would increase the desirability of buying newly built houses near them.

And Trainman, show me a private company that runs a city bus system without tons of subsidies.

Trainman

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Toronto, Ontario system runs it's trains and buses on a much smaller subsidy then Detroit.
The less taxpayer support, the better the service.
I'm not against transit tax increases if they mean more service and protect existing service.

Is this not fair? We pay more and we get more or we vote NO. Is this not fare?

As for private bus service, the Detroit casino's shuttle buses work at a profit.

Thecreator
Username: Thecreator

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 160.39.243.60
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When a service is public, its inherently provided by the governing structure. With that, every truly major city in America has a vast public transportation system over whose managing authority or council it maintains more control than it would a private company. There's no reason to sell assets now that when the budget defecit is reduced are going to be key to our revitalization.

And about Belle Isle... it's an absolutely beautiful place with much more potential for a recreation paradise than I think a lot of people realize. "Belle Isle Township" is easily one of the worst ideas I've read of late. The city needs to sell Camp Brighton, and keep the firmest grip on Belle Isle that it possibly can.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 793
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Belle Isle being in the City and readily available for resident use, I would absolutely keep that at least for now and sell camp Brighton.Livingston County property is pretty valuable and not really that useful for a City resident.

Danny

Post Number: 4523
Posted From: 141.217.84.88
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Selling Belle Isle to regional developers would be a TERRIBLE mistake for KING KWAME and his " CLOWNSILMEMBERS" A recall vote may come if they sell the island park.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a rumor, and it is just that a rumor, but Herman Keifer complex is to be sold within a year, for a proposed housing development. Any thoughts on getting rid of this building/complex?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Herman Keifer a county hospital/Centralized records depot? Why would they get rid of it? How would it impact the city (beides moving the health department somewhere elese?). Does the city have a decentralization plan to replace it with more neighborhood clinics?

Trainman

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city council of Detroit formally supports two freeway expansions that will cost Michigan's taxpayers over one billion dollars. One is approved and the other is still being debated at the time of this post.

Next August 8, 2006 many will vote to renew the SMART property tax.

Unfortunately, even if this tax passes it will not be enough to keep our existing transportation system as one defined purpose to move people.

You can fight the I-75 Oakland County 18 mile expansion from 3 to 4 lanes from being built to regain transit funds by clicking on the link below.

Or, don't click on the link.

Your Choice.

http://savethefueltax.org/

I'm posting this because Kwame refuses to fight this freeway expansion. It's time he did fight because if he does not then more money will leave Detroit and go to Oakland County.

Then what will he sell?

What will the next mayor have to sell?

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 70.8.58.223
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Trainman is a robot and is programmed to respond this way and this way only.

Can a human being be this relentless?

later - naturalsister

Trainman

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm powered by gas and my tank is nearly empty.

Danny

Post Number: 4588
Posted From: 141.217.174.218
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me get this straight:
A NO vote will save the fuel tax!!!

To: All registered voters in
Wayne, Oakland, Macomb
and Monroe counties
in the state of Michigan, U.S.A.

The Intergovernmental Agreement between and among the City of Detroit, the Regional Transit Coordinating Council (RTCC) and the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation (SMART), to establish the Detroit Area Regional Transportation Authority (DARTA) is deficient of an ability to coordinate all transportation modes as essential for economic growth without state CTF funding directly from the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT). This agreement is a mandate to raise suburban county taxes by merging subsidies to rescue public bus transit from unfounded financial distress. The coordination of processes is to acquire federal funds to expand freeways and add rail to benefit both auto travel and transit without increasing user fees. This makes the agreement regressive as it deprives the public from efficient use of limited resources and the choice for a free-market economy as outlined throughout these WebPages. (especially see - Be an informed voter - The morality of protecting existing tax funds for transit)

The state fuel tax is best used to maintain "existing" public bus service and roads. The Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP) approved by the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) needs to be amended to efficiently serve the needs of taxpayers. Thus, a citizen's petition is presented to correct basic deficiencies. The present SEMCOG transportation plans neglect and depart from the unique urban cultures that keep Detroit, Michigan a world class city. Thus it's time to say "NO" to tax increases

NOW I UNDERSTAND SAY NO THE FUEL TAX FOR SO-CALLED "DARTA" TRANSIT. AND SAY YES TO SMART AND D-DOT. MILLAGE PROPOSAL.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 24.145.154.7
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The issue is to "right-size" the city payroll for the current population. That means 12,000 employees, not 18,000.

These are the tough "leadership" decisions KK needs to make. That way, the city will stabilize and every new financial quarter will not require an "Ollie's oops sale" of Dehoco, Camp Brighton, Belle Isle, the Joe Louis fist(joke), etc...

Remember, after the election in November, receivership will come up again.

Danny

Post Number: 4591
Posted From: 141.217.174.218
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And once recievership comes to Detroit. NO POOR, LOW-INCOME Detroiters would be able to hide to privatized and subsidized developers.

Trainman

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DANNY

Where the hell is brain???

The property tax REPLACES the fuel tax and the suburbs will pay for DDOT under the DARTA agreement

Sure, the suburbs have lots of money but SEMCOG wants to ablolish the state fuel tax which will cost the taxpayers over $100 Million per year.

Only by a majority vote of NO on August 8, 2006 will the state pay according to federal laws as defined in my website under -- Be an Informed Voter.

Livonia was only able to opt out by paying the same tax as before. The same laws applies to the state fuel tax. This is defined as alternatives required to obtain federal assistance and can be used to effectively stop the $533 Million Oakland county road and freeway expansions. This is enough to support SMART for 10 years with revenues sharing keeping the bus routes connected.

Please support my petition and should the SMART tax pass, it does not mean the protection of state money or more federal funds. In addition, it does not mean a better public bus system.

Danny, you have two choices.

vote NO and stop the freeway madness.

vote YES and support the charity this tax really is. This tax is not supported by our state or industries sufficient to maintain the status quo or to improve existing bus service.

Danny, I promise you that this renewal will not mean saving SAMRT as you might think.

Danny

Post Number: 4598
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

I don't think so! It's better to keep SMART and D-DOT running regularly from the sake of suburban taxes than to have a replaced transportation.

Danny

Post Number: 4599
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say renew the SMART property tax millage VOTE YES unless anyboby else say otherwise.

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 68.60.182.26
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city should sell Kwame! He's so big they could get a nice chunk of change and buy a new Mayor!

Trainman

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny

I know but I tryed to tell my city council members this and they promised me that SMART will go last June 2003. The mayor told me to go to Lansing in front of a packed crowd at my city hall and vowed not to pay for SMART.

I got the same treatment in Lansing when they told me to go to city hall and leave the fuel tax for the freeways.

But Danny, I will always fight for state and industry money for mass transit because I know that if I don't care about others including you that I will fail.

You see, my success at filling up buses is because of God reaching down to earth and using my hands and brain to be tools to help the crippled and the poor.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 362
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,
You're a tool with a one-track mind.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 69.246.40.224
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would pay a lot of money to see a televised Trainman vs. Danny debate on the issue.

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 65.43.43.17
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amway

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.