Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Photos from Various Downtown areas.. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 443
Posted From: 24.192.148.150
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check these out.. I look these last Friday.. We took pictures all over downtown and DIA..

(Message edited by digitaldom on June 30, 2006)

Digitaldom

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More photos

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1138
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats so funny?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3947
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the photos you took of the Comerica parking lots, as if they are destinations. lol

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 542
Posted From: 69.246.10.173
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ Lmichigan

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1674
Posted From: 75.9.244.48
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That one that you took from the International Market Place in Greektown is interesting. The light fixture for a moment looked like a downtown building until I realized it was a reflection.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

parking lots and no pedestrians... Are those two aspects related??

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 752
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. I noticed that to. Most of those photos make it seem like Detroit is a ghost town.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1392
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So...are these the peripheral photos taken along with actual wedding photos? Where was the wedding?

Digitaldom

Post Number: 445
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was at the Cathedral.. Most Blessed Scrament Cathedral.. For those Catholics out there know how important it is..

Digitaldom

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah parking lots lol.. Yeah it's not the international market place.. It was the Athenium top floor that was taken from..

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1819
Posted From: 70.233.3.121
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MBS Cathedral is beautiful, great wedding venue for certain. Was the reception at Comerica Park, with the wedding party staying at the Athenium? If so, I just went to a downtown wedding which had the same venues.

Paulmcall is right to a certain extent. In my last few trips downtown, including today, when the parking lots are basically empty (especially around Gratiot/the Stadia with nothing in the courthouse, no games, and apparantly not much going on in the entertainment venues during the afternoon) you really get an empty feeling while downtown.

Now, in terms of pedestrians, there were still a decent amount of people walking around considering it was just after noon on a Sunday and drizzling outside. If you walk around most cities' CBDs on a weekend afternoon, it is normally really quiet. Most people are in areas with entertainment, special events, and parks. Detroit draws people to Campus Martius, and will be drawing a lot more to the waterfront over the coming years, even without major events going on, which was illustrated to me today. Now, at night, downtown is suprisingly busy, including Saturday and Sunday nights. There are always things with large crowds at the State Theatre, St. Andrew's, smaller venues, and often something going on at the Opera House and/or Music Hall. Then there is Greektown. The only place that truly shuts down in terms of pedestrians for most/all of the weekend is Congress/Fort Streets in the financial district, and there is nothing out of the ordinary there. But even here, there is a lounge/bar/club or two that keeps things active. The opening of two four star hotels in this part of town should liven things up a bit...

So, we can't fool ourselves into thinking that downtown is as vibrant and dense as it should be, but I just want to make the point that many downtowns are very quiet on weekends during the daytime. In addition, I just want to highlight the fact that even when not much is going on down there, you still see a decent amount of folks walking around--all sorts of diverse people, visitors includes (often taking photos or walking around the stadia district like I saw today), so just imagine what it will be like when Merchants Row is codified with retailers in every shop window, and when we get some shopping destinations downtown that are open 7 days a week. For the time being, the key is getting special events so that something that draws big numbers is always going on downtown...the people in the hospitality industry/chamber of commerce definitly seem to be focused on that, why else would hotels be re-opening?

Digitaldom

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it was at the Athenium as well.. Top floor.. Top 2 floors actually..

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.