Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Motor City Triathlon - Impressions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1926
Posted From: 198.151.12.10
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last sunday I participated in the 1st annual Motor City Triathlon. Overall, It seemed to go pretty well. The feature event of course was swimming in the Detroit River. The swim course, which started on the Beach, was marked at 1500 meters. It really felt like we swam more in the range of 2000 meters. It was the most tiring triathlon swim I have ever competed in. The current was tough on all the swimmers, but in the end, I believe everyone appreciated that part of the event for it's difficulty and the feat that river swimming really is. The water was clean and cool. Very refreshing.

The Bike was 4 loops around the island. It was easy and fairly smooth. A few rough spots, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The run was really cool. Started on interior island roads, then onto and around an interior island trail. It was longer, at 6.5 miles rather than the standard 6.2, but that was not really an issue for me.

The island had a lot of trash on it that should not have been there, but the Park was packed the day before so it was not totally unexpected. I just wish Detroit had the money to hire the crews necessary to keep the place clean all the time.

Great event that is not for weak swimmers. I'm not a strong swimmer so I don't want to give the impression that it's not doable, but I would not recommend this race for beginners. The weather was perfect and me and my race buddies had a great time.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1361
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is where we've been discussing this.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/75067.html?1151429563

Okay not really...

Glad to hear you enjoyed the race. Your report concurs with other reports I've heard on the race- clean water, nice run, but lot's of trash.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10263
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the report. This sounds like an event I may have been able to do in my younger days. lol

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 403
Posted From: 71.201.198.197
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Atl Runner......my fiance and I were wondering how it went. How many folks participated? How were the transition areas?

Would you recommend it to others?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2769
Posted From: 66.167.59.60
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, Atl_runner, let me know when this happens again. I am on Belle Isle all the time. Swam with my son in the river just today after handball. Like you say, clean and refreshing. But 1500 meters? JFC! Thanks, but I'll watch and hand you a beer.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10285
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Congrats Atl Runner......my fiance and I were wondering how it went.

Why were you wondering? You were both signed up, you didn't run it?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.