Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » So Who's Bought Wallside Windows? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 24.210.106.215
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's time to replace some windows in the house. Are Wallside Windows all they're cracked up to be, or is all the money going to advertisements? How do they stack up to the old standby Pella?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 519
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taylor Made on 10 mile and Gratiot is by far the best in town! It is a no nonsense place they do the job they clean and they do it great! The big namers were a pain in the arse, trying to make deals and what not

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever brand you chose, make sure to have the installers estimate the trim and leave it with you a few days before the job. That way you can prime or paint it before they put it up aound the windows. It wil save you hours of agravation. All you will have to do is touch-up painting. Not going to say the winows are all equal but when I bought windows, the crew they sent were jerks. They broke three sill plates and all the did was glue them back together. Make certain that all items like that are replaced if damaged.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 69.209.173.115
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a doorwall put in. Can't complain about the price or service. We plan on having them do our windows later this year.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 64.7.187.32
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have anderson windows in my house- and they are fantastic-
I am not familiar with wallside- but they must do a bang up job considering all the $$$$$ they spend on advertising-

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 854
Posted From: 4.229.117.251
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got wallside windows last fall - saved us a ton of $$$ over the winter. The construction of the windows is cheap, id only get these if you plan on dumping and running.

They were several thousand cheaper than the other leading competitors.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have wallside and didn't realize that one of the "lock" pieces was sticking out (to prevent burglars from being able to life the window up so they can just crawl in). I opened the window (I have to give it a good yank) and broke the lock! On the plastic part of the window!! Now it won't lock at all.....Nothing I can do short of replacing the whole window....I did hear Taylor Made were awesome windows!

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 68.255.246.21
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the love of god do NOT go with Hansons! We had a VERY VERY bad experience with them.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hanson's commercials irritate me!! No to Hanson's. Also know people who had nightmare experiences with them.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you have an historic home and are set on a chain window business, my folks were pleased as punch by the service from renewal by anderson.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 68.255.246.21
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

renewal by anderson costs a %&$* load of money just FYI

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 1920 farmhouse and my windows look like crap. I bought it this way, though, so don't blame me. When I get enough cash, I am going to replace them with period windows (new, but look old). Will keep Anderson in mind. BUT....I am a Detroit Teacher so the money part might not come through too soon, according to all the hubub!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3289
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My old room mate had a horrendous experience with Hanson's as well. He had one of the workers come in to use the bathroom for a few moments and he left it a total sty. Talk about the lack of professionalism.

Depending on the style of home you have, I'd find someone who could at least help you keep the integrity of the place. Please, fo the love'a God if you have a classic home do NOT install cheap vinyl windows that don't come close to matching the style of the home.

I've had Wallside installed and they were lightning quick and I haven't had any problems whatsoever but then my place isn't anythin that'll appear in any Home & Garden magazine either.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 14 years ago I bought a house that had wallside windows all around the first floor.

Last month I noticed a crack in an interior window, I called the company and they sent someone out to fix it; no charge. I just had the 2nd floor windows measured from Wallsides today.

The first floor is not drafty. The company is locally based and employees people from the area to build the windows; as well as install them. They stand behind what they sell.

I'd recommend them unless you want high dollar windows.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 283
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with everyone who says do not go with hansons'...the sales guy they sent out was at my house for THREE HOURS trying to get me to make a purchase that night when i told him i was just getting interests. he went through the whole schtick, and then some, including *calling* his *boss* and telling me they had some windows from another house that were *mismeasured* and i could get them for *below cost* yeah right. and then at the end of it all, when he finally realized he wasn't getting the sale, he was a complete and total jerk.

i did end up getting wallside. the rep they sent out was in and out in less than an hour, was completely no non-sense and the best price of the 3 estimates i got. he did bring a book to show all the other people on my street who had wallside, including my neighbor, and they said they loved their windows. i did have a leak last summer, and same thing as someone else mentioned, they came out and fixed it at no charge. their warranty is 100% transferable too.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3300
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the scariest thing about having replacement windows put in is watching the guys with the crow bars & equipment removing your old windows. They carve right through lightning quick and it's spooky knowing that someone can take a secure window out that quickly.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Wallside install 20 windows in my house last month. So far I'm VERY happy with them. They went out of their way to handmake a couple windows that were not able to be done on their machine to accomodate my wishes. I got the higher grade window and with the screens, they look like they have always been part of the house. Drop me an e-mail if you get a chance.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 381
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any experience with Majic windows, the company that Mort Crim is the pitchman for?

Does each window co. have their own installers or are there companies that will install many different brands of windows?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had wallside for 10 years, and have been very pleased. The salesman came out when he said he would, and the crew came out and did the job real quick.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 69.14.28.209
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the same exact experience with the Hanson's salesman that came out to my house. Spent several hours, called the office, said they could give me a deal because someone canceled an order, got very rude when I repeated what I said when the guy walked though my door, All I wanted was an estimate. I was very clear on that point. NO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HANSON'S

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6193
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked out every vender at the Home Show and ended up picking Taylor Made. Taylor was able to do two-colored windows (cream exterior, white interior) at no extra charge. Their installers were professional.

Their windows are made at a factory in Canada, if that bothers you. And it took almost a month for them to come in. But I promise you these guys were worth the wait. I'd use Taylor Made again in a minute.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 204.24.64.25
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I got my windows replaced, I read a bunch of horror stories about installers and sales people. The employees of a window company (installers/sales people) always seemed to make a bigger difference in a customer's opinion than the actual product itself. With that said, I hired a local contractor that I knew did good work, and then did some research on the windows that he normally purchased for his other jobs. I'm very happy with the windows we got, and I loved working with the local contractor rather than a window company's sales person.

Cheguevara
Username: Cheguevara

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 63.115.132.100
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto the stories from Valkyrias and Detrola about Hanson's salespeople; three-hour nightmare. The same calls to his "manager", the same magically appearing "discounts"--and all we wanted was a quote. Never, never again.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 728
Posted From: 69.209.145.144
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff,

Good to hear about your experiences with Taylor Made. A co-worker might be going with them and I'll let her know that you give them a thumbs-up.
(I never heard of them until now :-))

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 207.203.254.110
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a house ten years ago.. it came with Wallside. Not sure when they were originally installed. Twice now over the last couple of year the seal has broke, and the windows got fogged/water droplets inside. We called, and they came out, and honored their lifetime warrenty, replacing them pretty much no questions asked.

In my experience they stand behind their promises... and I have to recomend them on that front.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does each window co. have their own installers or are there companies that will install many different brands of windows?"

i think it depends on the company. wallside makes all their windows at their own factory in taylor. hansons said their windows came from chicago. independent contractors can probably get them anywhere they want. my aunt had an independent contractor install pella windows in her house (which are supposedly the best, even the wallside rep that came out to my house admitted that, but they are expensive).

and yes, smogboy, that is very scary. they actually had to CUT the windows out of my house because they were steel-pan windows and aren't as easily removed with crowbars...

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 68.255.242.22
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 8 years ago, in my previous house, I had Wallside come out for an estimate. Two things I was not happy about. #1 When I told the salesperson about another window co. that had already been out (Replacement Windows), he started knocking one of it's sales people (the person he was dissing used to work at Wallside). #2 He said they couldn't do the type of window I wanted in the front of my house, that I would have to use another style...which I did not want.
In the end, I went with Replacement Windows in Redford. They offered a better quality product than Wallside, the salesperson was wonderful and they were able to create the type of window I wanted.
Replacements prices are reasonable and they offer a variety of styles to suit your budget. I would consider using them again, but at the same time after seeing all these posts, I would look into Taylor Made. I'm also curious about Magic's fiberglass windows, if anyone has used them.

Dmart
Username: Dmart

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 68.84.183.222
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen to what the Master Handyman Glenn Haege says, check out his website. On his show he definitely thinks Wallside and Weatherguard windows are good windows and good companies. They are not your high end windows, but sure beat the single pane double hungs.

My experience with Hanson's is the same as others who have posted, I cuss at the TV when I see their commercial. With their slimeball sales approach, they won't be around long enough to honor any warranty they give you. Wallside has been around along time for a reason.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 582
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We replaced 24 double hung windows in our house with Wallsides higher end windows. We accurately replicated the muttons and went with two-tone - white inside (our interior trim is painted white) and a brown on the outside that matches the brick of the house and the exterior trim. Our heat bill is very reasonable now considering the size and age of our home and they have held up well. The lifetime guarantee is hard to beat.

Rugbyman, PLEASE, If you have any desire to retain the character of your home GET THE MUTTONS and go with two tone. It will makes a HUGE difference in how your home will look. Looking at our house you don't even notice at first that the windows are vinyl because of the brown exterior tone and muttons.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and don't replace leaded glass with vinyl! We only had one leaded glass window and we left it alone in addition to the two raised privacy windows in our living room. A few old windows isn't going to kill your heating bill.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6219
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've egged Eastsidedog's house a few times and never realized that those were vinyl windows. They did a very good job.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6075
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, Eastsidedog, wrong.

If that window leaks as if it were OPEN, then you lose an AMAZING amount of heat. Outside air drafts are the worst for your heating bill.

There has got to be a way to clad those leaded-glass windows with an outer storm window that seals well. Heck, you do in 'inner' then fill the whole with inert gas...you just might help that lead stay stable and away from any curious children or pets.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 987
Posted From: 146.9.52.24
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may not know much but I do that you never want to clad leaded glass windows with an outer storm window. The heat build up on a sunny day can warm the lead and cause the window to buckle. You may be able to add something on the inside but never on the outside of a leaded glass window.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, there is an old wood storm over the leaded glass window. It is in the walk in closet of the master bedroom and, yes it's cold as hell in there in the winter. But overall our heat bills are really good ($200/month avg. last winter for 1500 sq. ft. home built in 1917). The real secret is to turn the heat WAYYYYYY down. Remember water freezes at 32 degrees!

Crew, that's an interesting bit about the storms outside leaded glass. So far the window is fine. I also think the storm is leaky as hell, hence the lack of any issues with the leaded glass.

Itsjeff, leave my house alone or I'll tattle about your two vinyl windows to the historic commission!!! :-)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6226
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two? Try 14. And three of the 5 units in my row have them.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 69.212.215.142
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you'd like to spend your window money in Detroit, consider Kelley Windows in Detroit. They have been in the city for 30 thirty years and build vinyl and wood(aluminum clad ext. for color choices) windows. They sell 99% of their windows to installers, etc. but they will sell to the guy off the street. They will sell or sell/install windows, just make sure that you ask to get 45% off the "retail price" on the invoice. Also, ask for 45% off "retail" on the install price if you choose to have them installed. Everything is warranteed for 20 years. I've used them several times and am currently using their wood casement and awning windows (all with mullions) to replace my windows in the university ditrict. Ext. aluminum cladding allows for about 20 color choices. Call info. for the number, they are located on Linwood across from Bates Academy.

I was going to install the windows myself, but I couldn't justify it with their discounted installation prices. The windows are on par with any other mid to high line wood windows. The owner himself will probably come to your house for the measurements and he is also generally in the office. He provided me with a nice solution to cut costs on 3 sides of my house by using awning windows which crank out from the bottom. I ordered these with mullions and they look just like casement windows when closed. They are about 35-40% cheaper than actual casment windows which I am using on the front of my house to keep the historic look when open.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 69.219.118.33
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, actually I walked the eastsidedog by the other day and noticed that lots of the units in your row have vinyl replacement windows. I was surpised! Has the historic commision been slacking? I've been noticing more vinyl popping up in the neighborhood lately.

Personally I have mixed feelings toward vinyl. If it's done right it can look really good but most people do all white vinyl with no muttons which looks tacky as hell. The real drawback of vinyl is if you want to paint your trim different colors. I don't think you can paint vinyl and with the muttons INSIDE the windows you definitely can't paint them.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6252
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you should ask, Dog.

I was only the second house in West Village to completely replace the wood windows with vinyl. So I did some code research first, since I didn't know how the historic commission would react.

First, there's no code that says, "No vinyl windows." The rule actually says that whatever work you do to your exterior, the end result must be identical in appearance to how it looked before, and that you have to use the same materials.

The end results did look like it did before, but they got me on the "use the same materials" bit. So I prepared for a ticket and had the following arguments ready to make my case:

1. Although I was replacing the wooden windows, I was also getting rid of the awful black aluminum storms that were obviously not original to the house. With the storms gone, the end result is more authentic-looking than what I had before. If anything, I was correcting a code violation by getting rid of the aluminum storms.

2. I kept the muttons the same. My windows are all 6 or 8 over 1, so that really jacked up the price. (The lone window on the third floor is 8 over 8. That added $80 to the price of the window.)

3. Other houses in my area have replaced their windows with vinyl. Why start ticketing me? (This was kinda a lie. Other houses in the area had replaced a window or two with vinyl, I was among the first to go full tilt boogie and replace them all.)

These were thin arguments, but I was hoping to get a sympathetic judge. But it turns out that the historic commision was cool with it. They never said a word. In fact my neighbor replaced his windows last year and got a ticket for having his satellite dish visible from the front, but no complaints about the vinyls.

Perhaps the HC recognized that WV is so eclectic. We're mostly middle class houses, with workers cottages, duplexes and the grand homes on Parker Street. If the rules are stringently applied across the board, you've instantly eliminated the possibility of making homes more energy efficient for 75% of our neighborhood, since most of us can't afford wooden replacement windows.

And you know what? Even if I got a ticket, it would have been $500.00. I'd have just added that to the cost of the windows, and I'd still be way, way ahead economically.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Wallside Windows. They had the best bid, showed up on time, did the work quickly and efficiently, cleaned up completely and left me with functioning windows.

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 69.241.253.36
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Anderson and Taylor made. The Andersons are OK but the Taylors quality is fantastic. Plus thier salesman and installers were professional. Taylor offers a window that looks like leaded glass unless you look close you can not tell the difference. I had the Taylors installed on the second floor and you can not tell the differene from the first floor windows from the outside.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff, thanks for explaining. Personally I agree that the HC should allow vinyl as long as it looks the same from the outside as the wood did (correct # of muttons and two-tone). You're right about the wide-ranging income levels of WV, and yes many can not even afford vinyl let alone wood.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 988
Posted From: 146.9.52.77
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thread. Thanks everyone.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2175
Posted From: 216.203.223.117
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wood frames forever, plastic never.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I triple-concur about the Hansen's salesmen. Ours spent like 4+ hours spamming us one night on a weekday and grew aggravated when we expressed doubt about being able to afford the prices. I couldn't even start cooking dinner until like 11, and we were still signing the papers.

We went with him anyway, probably because we couldn't say no, and per their policy he matched the price we were quoted from the much nicer, more easygoing Wallside rep. But for future jobs, we're definitely going with Wallside.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 534
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm teling you Taylor Made in Eastpointe is by far the best in town. No nonsense and they cleaned and were done very quickly

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.