Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Faygo... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2744
Posted From: 70.226.45.131
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alrighty forumers. I need to pick your brains for minute. Especially the older folks of the forum. I am charged with doing a marketing research plan for Faygo. I have the rest of the Information that I need however, I am lost on the history of the organization. Can any one lend a hand?

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 136.181.195.84
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ya' go:

The Faygo History
Ben and Perry Feigenson, formerly bakers in Russia, began Feigenson Brothers Bottling Works on November 4, 1907. Their original flavors, Fruit Punch, Strawberry and Grape, were based upon their own frosting recipes. That is why these, and the flavors they developed later, were (and still are) so unique. They produced the soda one day, closed the factory the next day, loaded the product on a horse drawn wagon, and sold it for three cents or two for a nickel. They and their families lived above the plant. In the winter, when little soda was sold, they supplemented their incomes by selling bread and fish.

Later, when the Feigenson families moved into individual homes, they hired their first employees, bought their second horse and added Lithiated Lemon and Sassafras Soda (Root Beer) to their product line. They began calling the product "pop," because of the sound made when opening the bottle.

The brothers bought their first delivery truck, a 1922 Ford. New products were Rock & Rye (which immediately became a must with a corned beef sandwich), Vanilla, and Seltzer from a siphon bottle. They initiated home deliveries in 1923.
The brand name changed to "Faygo" in the 30s, and after that, in 1935, moved to the current Detroit location. A unique Fruit Punch flavor was created, based on angel food cake, with real grape juice. The Orange flavor also saw the addition of aged orange juice.

In the 40s, the family hired W. B. Doner's advertising agency and created a new Root Beer and introduced "Up Town", a lemon-lime soda. After that, "The Faygo Kid" appeared on television, with the famous Detroit line, "Which way did he go? Which way did he go? He went for Faaaaaaygo!". Also appearing on TV was "Herkimer the bottle blower", who was "too pooped to participate" until he drank Faygo Uptown. Also during this time, there was a significant upgrading of the production facility, including a state of the art water treatment.

In the 60s, Strawberry Soda changed to "Redpop." and a full line of Diet items was introduced, which soon accounted for more than 50% of Faygo's overall business. Also introduced was Frosh, Faygo Brau and Chateaux Faygeaux, but only Frosh remains today.

In the 70s, Faygo became pioneers of one way bottles, twist off caps and warehouse distribution. "Gildersleeve" led Faygo's hit television commercial, "Faygo Boat Song." The song rose to #3 in the popular music charts and 75,000 45rpm records were sold for $0.25 each. Alex Karras, Detroit Lions star, becomes the spokesman for Faygo diets.

Faygo marketed specially treated water, launching a line of flavored sparkling waters and in 1987, Faygo was purchased by National Beverage Corp. of Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

New in the 90s, Faygo introduced Cherry Festival, made with real Michigan cherries, and named for the annual Traverse City, Michigan event. In 1996, Faygo launched its first effort with non-carbonated products. Named "Ohana," (Hawaiian for "family"), there are Punch, Orange Punch, Lemon Iced Tea, Lemonade and Kiwi-Strawberry. Faygo also introduced Arctic Sun, a non-alcoholic wine cooler in a unique blue 2 - liter bottle.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope S.E. Michigan supports Faygo as a local business as well as a great line of products. Coca Cola has blood on its hands.

http://www.cokewatch.org/

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 69.209.131.156
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Pacy, you wrote all of that in a mere 3 minutes. You sure know your Faygo.

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Columbia needs better law enforcement. Who cares about unions anyway? I have been drinking Coca-Cola for almost 50 years, it is by far the best cola. Thugs from a third world will not effect my cola choice. Here's a comparison for you, tell all the addicts to quit using Columbian illegal drugs because the drug lords kill people.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 12.159.32.66
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pacy's info is from the Faygo website, www.faygo.com

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, i just didn't see any sources

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the old ads with the boblo boats. I like the new ads with the billboards with simple things like 313 and Detroit. I liked the other billboards with peopel dressed the same cloros as the soda.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 282
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The true story of The Faygo Kid.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ The_Faygo_Kid.htm

Live it Up, Up, Up with Uptown!
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ uptown.htm

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1297
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got the same billboard ads up here in Flint, with a Faygo bottle as the 1 in 810 and the i in Flint. I really like them as well

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1628
Posted From: 66.238.170.33
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like those new billboards a lot as well. I wonder if they'll become a classic marketing campaign like the old Detroit Zoo TV commercial (wouldn't it be cool if they did a remake of that!) or the Vernors sign.

I think Faygo has realized that its strongest selling feature is the fact that it is a Detroit institution. People take pride in being from Detroit and in Detroit traditions. Faygo is right up there with Lafayette Coney Island, Vernors, Sanders and Better Made.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked that old Faygo song ad that was on the TV when I was growing up.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1151
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Faygo still made with real fruit juice, like it was originally?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1298
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if we could only get fountain Faygo at local restaraunts

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 68.248.92.132
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Donald Feigenson (Was not Was) part of the family?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 283
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie Feigenson was a major factor in the Detroit art world. The Feigenson Gallery, in the Fisher Building, showed work by the Cass Corridor artists. She lived in a courthouse in Lafayette Park for many years.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2745
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the information. This was really a boost to this project you all....:-)

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy Faygo sometimes, because it is a decent tasting pop that's rather inexpensive. But Faygo just doesn't "pop" into my mind when I'm searching at the store for a pop to drink. Marketing-wise, Faygo needs an awareness raising campaign to put the brand into the consideration set in the minds of the consumers. But that just the opinion of some dude on the internet who has a master's degree in marketing and advertising.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 518
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other cities Faygo sells at Hot Topic for 2 dollars a bottle

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 68.43.85.165
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They definitely need to bring the old commercial back...."comic books and rubber bands...remember when you were a kid.."...I think it would increase sales since it would raise awareness. The tune totally sticks in your head!

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: They definitely need to bring the old commercial back...."comic books and rubber bands...remember when you were a kid.."...I think it would increase sales since it would raise awareness. The tune totally sticks in your head!

I think I have that song/jingle on a 45 rpm. record. The man in those commercials, whose name escapes me, was "The Great Gildersleeve" from the old radio program of the same name.

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some more Faygo memories. Notice the voice in the Herkimer commercial linked above. The big guy is voiced by Thurl Ravenscroft who also was the voice of Tony The Tiger.

(Message edited by SVEN1977 on June 27, 2006)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2746
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK , so outside of the Midwest and Mid Atlantic, what do you think Faygo's percpetion is in respect to its brand?

Hkytwn
Username: Hkytwn

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if there is a link out there for that old FAYGO jingle .....remember when you were a kid and part of you still is thats why we make FAYGO. I would love to hear it again. I had a older gentleman who I worked with that would sing that jingle all day long. He has since passed away and I have never heard it since.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10235
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside this region the perception is likely the same as it is here, Faygo is one cheapass pop. That being said, it's also very good if you ask me. My garage fridge is stocked with at least 3 12 packs, the rest is reserved for beer. (100 can capacity, you do the math) I also like the billboards, both the "313" and "DETROIT" ones. They always have advertised a lot around here, but they seem to be out in full force this year. I haven't bought anything BUT Faygo in quite awhile now.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside the region I'd imagine Faygo is only known as part of Insane Clown Posse's act. Get them to be spokesclowns or something.

Blessyouboys

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Get them to be spokesclowns or something.

For some reason I don't think Faygo is really anxious for prospective buyers to be like this sweet dude:

fda
"It's Red Pop bitches!!"

Ed_golick

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hkytwn,
You can buy a VHS tape of the Faygo "Remember When You Were A Kid" commercial from the official Faygo web site. The 45 RPM record regularly appears on eBay.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven or Ed.....

The third shot down in Sven's post, is that the "Strawberry/Cherry Soda" spot where the kids ask for Red Pop and Gildersleeve "corrects" them, for a while.....

Also, it's the Harold Peary "Gildersleeve", isn't it?

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildersleave reads off a big list of available sodas where the last is... "and Red Pop." They always choose the Red Pop. I don't know which Gildersleave it is.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Hal Peary.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 4.229.42.251
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last time I visited the Detroit Historical Museum (about a year ago), they had an advertising exhibit where you could watch the old Faygo "Remember When You Were a Kid" ads. They had several other old commercials there, including the ones for the Detroit Zoo where the animals were portrayed as actors getting ready for a big performance.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In other cities Faygo sells at Hot Topic for 2 dollars a bottle

the reason why?

quote:

Outside the region I'd imagine Faygo is only known as part of Insane Clown Posse's act.

Thank GOD they weren't mentioned on the "best musical talent from Detroit" thread (of course, the word "talent" is in the title, so...)!

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 242
Posted From: 68.79.117.92
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hope S.E. Michigan supports Faygo as a local business as well as a great line of products. Coca Cola has blood on its hands.

Interesting site... people in Columbia are being killed/injured by whom? It never says Coca Cola - is the subtext that Coke should be providing bodyguards for its workers? The rest of it has a refreshing lack of specifics.

But reading furher, a DC address and the juice comparison makes it pretty clear that this "grassroots" site is a shill for the Teamsters. Or Pepsico.

I'll file this info away with the grassy knoll, the 150mpg car, and the Tooth Fairy.

By the way, the local/non-local distinction is lost here - and maybe it doesn't even favor Faygo. Coca-Cola does not do its own bottling or distribution - it licenses its product to local concerns. So the company making and selling Coke in this area is at least as local as Faygo. On the other hand, Faygo is a wholly owned sub of National Beverages, out of Florida.

Sure, we all like Soylent Red (whoops... Rock & Rye) but Faygo's connection to Detroit is historic, not economic.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 835
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=9372

This is an article in this weeks Metrotimes.

"Philip Feigenson, a retired Faygo Beverage executive, has lived across the street from the house since 1960. He recalls, "The rumor was that she spent a tremendous amount of money for him to design it. It was really something when they built it. They formed the blocks right there on the site." He adds with a laugh, "It was very ludicrous to me, but that was what they did.""

Not really about Faygo, but interesting that the guy still lives in the city.

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenniferl Quote: They had several other old commercials there, including the ones for the Detroit Zoo where the animals were portrayed as actors getting ready for a big performance.

OH no, animals suffering the indignity of being portrayed as actors, forced to act by humans for no recompence, how abusive! Where's PETA!?? This has got to stop, I'm sure all those animals suffered irreversible harm to their delicate psyche's.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I were the copywriter on the Faygo ad account, I'd play off the word GO in Faygo. I'd say "Go For Faygo! Go for Faygo!" And thus try to get the word Faygo in the minds of the consumer.

Just sayin' ...

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 70.225.119.157
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

OH no, animals suffering the indignity of being portrayed as actors, forced to act by humans for no recompence, how abusive! Where's PETA!?? This has got to stop, I'm sure all those animals suffered irreversible harm to their delicate psyche's.

Ummm Pacy, give it a rest. We know your postion on the zoo,PETA and what animals are for in general, but the animals in this ad weren't "forced to act", say like Mr. Ed or Lancelot Link. It was just film of animals doing what they do naturally (like National Geo or Wild Kingdom type footage). They just used goofy voice overs they thought fit the animals actions; like Bob Sagat and his ridiculous voice over of some tape sent in of someone's dog acting nutty for no real reason other than this is how the animal behaves.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1386
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't see the Faygo commercial lyrics posted yet, so here they are:

"Remember When You Were A Kid?"

Written by Ed Labunaki
Originally sung for Faygo by Kenny Karen

Comic books and rubber bands
Climb into the tree top
Falling down and holding hands
Tricycles and Redpop
Pony rides and Sunday nights
Roller skates and snowball fights
Climbin' through the window
Remember when you were a kid?
Well, part of you still is
And that's why we make Faygo
Faygo remembers
Flying kites and funny shoes
Easter eggs with speckles
ABCs and counting by twos
Washing off the freckles
Kissing a hurt to make it stop
Startin' school in September
So many things you almost forgot
Tryin' to remember
Remember when you were a kid?
Well, part of you still is
And that's why we make Faygo
Faygo remembers

Source: http://www.pasty.com/discuss/m essages/2392/2622.html

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 64.7.188.164
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo Tango- better try tango-
which way did he go? he went for faygo old fashioned root beer-
the old black bart commercial-
wasn't there a faygo uptown?
personally- I think the stuff is way too sweet-

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.