Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Iodent building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 282
Posted From: 69.246.10.215
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been living downtown for over a year but for some reason never really explored back behind the FOX until tonight. I was impressed and can see there is a lot going on and even more potential things that could really make this area a highlight of downtown.

My main question is what is going on with the Iodent building? I cannot find any updated information. Did those lofts ever open? Is it almost completed? Are they for sale or lease? The Centaur Bar on the first couple of floors looks incredible and cannot wait to visit there and Town Pump soon.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 791
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were just working away on it like nobody's business just before Superbowl. They gutted the place, put in new windows, did a lot of work. I think ESPN payed them a lot of money, six or seven figures, to use the building during Super Bowl week. Signs of work have slowed since then. From the outside, it looks like the upper floors are ready to go. Last winter a bar tender there told me they planned on putting a breakfast place and night club on the next couple of floors. I haven't heard anything about that since.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 686
Posted From: 65.111.204.7
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was up in the top two floors during DEMF and the lofts were huge! Not finished, just some carpeting probablly from ESPN. The views were amazing and the windows open completely as opposed to just sliding open. There is an elevator that does from floor to floor.

Overall that would be a nice area to overhaul. It was very bright as far as street lights are concerned and, I think, the Detroit Life building is back there waiting to be developed as well. People were walking from Centruar/Town Pump to the other bar near the Kales building all night.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 894
Posted From: 70.227.12.98
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the iodent building was completely renovated for the espn party during the superbowl: hvac, windows, temp. utilities, permanent utilities capped, roof, envelope, and temporary interior fit-out. the temporary interiors have all been removed, leaving all floors open and ready for final fit-out.

floor 1: centaur, building entrance, small retail space. mezzanine, and 2: centaur. floor 3: rental commercial space. floors 4-7: rental lofts. floor 8: owner's loft.

designs for the remaining floors (3-8) are being finalized currently. there is no timetable set right now, but i would think construction would start by the end of the year, possibly beginning of next.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1576
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
^
^
^-------- the One Who Knows speaks. The masses listen.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 346
Posted From: 207.74.110.15
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the Iodent Building takes its name from Iodent toothpaste, a popular brand in the 1940's, which must has been Detroit-made.

A very popular mouthwash of that era righ up there with Listerine was Astringosol (spelling?) made by the Federick Stearns Company whose offices and factory are now The Lofts conodominums on East Jefferson at Bellevue 3 blocks west of East Grand Boulevard.

Bob Cosgrove

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 842
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob_cosgrove, i've always wondered the same. i hope i'm not breaking protocol here by posting this informative link:

http://www.detroitblog.org/ind ex.php?m=200408&paged=2

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.