Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Another pitbull attack...... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A five year old child was attacked by the family's pitbull today. Is it the dog breed or just immature, unresponsible owners? Seems thug wanna-be's are mostly the owners of these dogs. In my own opinion these dogs should be banned as pets PERIOD. I've yet to read a story in the paper that has the headline "toddler mauled by Golden Retriever", it's always Pitbulls or Rots!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1135
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

our dog is a pit/lab/great dane mix, he's great around kids.

its the "parents" that are to blame.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 520
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the only good pit bull.

pit

Livedog2

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1236
Posted From: 69.47.196.154
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell is that pic?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 12.45.2.184
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pitbulls aren't dumb dogs they just have to be trained. I do recommend that they are not around small children. They aren't the smartest dogs either and sometimes kids can aggravate them causing them to attack.313

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 254
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papacy,
The reason you don't hear about other breeds mauling humans is because it doesn't get reported. That lady in France who had the first successful face transplant was mauled by her labrador. Dogs get pissed off too.

Gravity, I think we have the same kind of dog, cept down here in Florbama they call it a black mouthed curr!

I love pits and for the most part the parents are to blame, but the dog's temprament can be a huge factor. I've seen pits that would never hurt a fly and others that seem wonderful until something pulls their "trigger" and they can be a whole new animal. Combine that with a very strong jaw and you can have a bad combo.

Still, you shouldn't ban a type of breed, especially since many harmless dogs already have some pitbull in them. Go after the owners and educate people that not all good dogs are ones you carry in your purse.

Livedog2

Post Number: 523
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That my dear friend is a pitbull that had an encouter with an attack porcupine!

Livedog2

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All animals have a 'trigger' or a point they can be pushed to and then will defend themselves or theirs. Some dogs do Play rougher than others and the key is to teach them what is play and what is not and how far they can take it. Example, taste human skin, STOP. Sad fact is, a lot of people have these dogs for one reason only (not all, but a lot of them) and that is for the bad-ass factor. I personally think it is these owners that should be put down rather than the dog, because that's what's going to happen to him when something like this happens.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 994
Posted From: 70.236.173.174
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In my own opinion these dogs should be banned as pets PERIOD

In my own opinion, humans who say ignorant shit like this should be banned from living PERIOD.

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drm Quote: In my own opinion, humans who say ignorant shit like this should be banned from living PERIOD.

Hmmmm... sounds like another "animal rights" fanatic with mixed up priorities. These pitbulls are the next best thing if you have a toddler and couldn't afford an abortion right?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 374
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people don't do enough research or none at all on a dog before buying it. They either buy it because it's cute as a puppy or they like the tough factor that comes with the dog. It's nice to buy a cute little puppy but you have to have an understanding of what that dog is going to be like when it gets older, whether the you're going to put the time into training the dog and whether you will be able to handle the dogs exercise needs.

My neighbor has a small dog (Cocker Spaniel) that is one of the meanest dogs I've ever seen. They obviously bought this dog from a backyard breeder as this dog is the son of satan. The breeders of this dog just wanted to create as many cute puppies as he/she could without any or much concern about creating a hostile and high strung dog.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10226
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In my own opinion, humans who say ignorant shit like this should be banned from living PERIOD.

I agree, Pacypacy_ should be put down.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Pitbull or Pit mix that is brought into the Detroit branch of the Michigan Humane Society is euthanized.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 740
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irresponsible people once again are to blame. These are the same type who have guns laying around that kids can get their hands on.
A poorly trained or untrained pit bull (or simliar dog) is like having a lethal weapon running loose in your house or yard.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1136
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/quote{Any Pitbull or Pit mix that is brought into the Detroit branch of the Michigan Humane Society is euthanized.}

that's not entirely true

Ed_golick

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure is. Been to the MHS about 5 times in the last couple of months. Heard it with my own ears. That's their policy.

(Message edited by Ed Golick on June 26, 2006)

(Message edited by Ed Golick on June 26, 2006)

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1139
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, I know the policy is there...

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People don't understand that you can't train breeding out of a dog. Dogs have been bred to do particular tasks, terriers tend to dig because they have been bred to catch rats, badgers, etc.....Pointers, Retreivers, etc are self explanatory. You cannot train these instincts out of them. Pit Bulls were bred to catch, hold on and not let go. For hunting wild pigs mostly. You can't train that out of them. Not a good dog for people that have little ones or don't understand canine behavior. Great dogs if you're aware of their potential behaviors and are responsible enough to deal with them. Sweet and gentle for the most part.

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 69.223.214.2
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're running around banning critters that may do harm, it sure seems like humans are killing more people in Detroit and other cities than pitbulls and rots. Let's ban the damn humans. Plus they're making a mess of the city, with their McDonald's wrappers and cigarette butts.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dogs have been selectively bred by humans over thousands of years to produce the numerous different breeds that exist today. Each breed was bred to possess specific traits, Pitbulls have been bred to be aggressive and violent. This serves them well for the certain roles that human need them for, like protection. This also means they make VERY dangerous pets. Yes a lab or a golden retreiver might snap and maul somebody, but it happens far less often then Pitbulls who have been bred over generations to be violent and aggressive.

If you have a Pitbull for home defense and you don't have children, that's fine. If you have kids, then you are being very irresponsible by having one as a pet. As much as you like to think that it is docile and trained, it's hardwired in their GENES to attack. Humans have specifically bred them for that purpose, it's why they exist in the first place.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 939
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<---- More dangerous than a pit bull when provoked.... or drunk.

But seriously, I hate dogs. All of 'em.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1144
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can anyone categorically say that they hate *ALL* dogs? Wow. That statement makes me scratch my head.

Anyway, what Warriorfan said above is true. What's also true is that backyard breeders are ruining the pit bull breed by breeding super-aggressive dogs to other super-aggressive dogs... so that they can be used in dogfighting and kept as "pets" by those who want to be thought of as "badass."

Pit bulls can be decent pets if bred properly and raised in a loving home with plenty of socialization and training. But they will always have some dog-aggression "hardwired" in genetically, as Warriorfan said. That's why even good-natured pit bulls should be on leash around dogs they don't know.

By the way, most "pits" you see out there, as well as the ones who fight and attack, are pit mixes, not purebreds... and again, bred for aggression against other dogs.

(Message edited by Fury13 on June 26, 2006)

Susanarosa

Post Number: 940
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you're a dog guy Fury and I'm sorry but I really, really, really just can't stand dogs. I think they're cute, but I don't want them anywhere near me.

I feel the same about kids, too. :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 69.221.64.123
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe THAT'S how that damned bird ended up dead in my driveway.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 216
Posted From: 69.221.64.123
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But I'm trying to figure out how pit bulls managed to get those sneakers up on the power line.

Fury13

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, Susanarosa... what is it you don't like? The attention (jumping up, licking, etc.)? A perception that they're dirty or carriers of fleas? A feeling that they're pests or nuisances?

Actually, for a long time, I just didn't want to be bothered by dogs, cats, or kids (although all of them would often single me out for attention), so I sort of understand coming from that viewpoint.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As much as you like to think that it is docile and trained, it's hardwired in their GENES to attack."

Reminds me of when Roy was attacked by that tiger a few years back. Siegfried and Mirage owner Steve Wynn come out and says the tiger was just trying to protect Roy and bring him to safety. I guess the tiger was smart enough to know someone needed help, but wasn't smart enough to keep his teeth out of their neck.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any man who hates dogs and kids can't be all bad.
wc

Susanarosa

Post Number: 942
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just curious, Susanarosa... what is it you don't like? The attention (jumping up, licking, etc.)? A perception that they're dirty or carriers of fleas? A feeling that they're pests or nuisances?

Pretty much all of the above. :-)

I'm also allergic which only compounds hating the whole licking part. Yuck!

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1960
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms. Rosa since when don't you like the attention, jumping around and being licked?:-)

Susanarosa

Post Number: 944
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not even going to justify that with a response Mr. Gander.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 65.92.146.48
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just do like Ontario, Ban them :-) Go over to Windsor and you can't have a Pitbull.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1961
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It reads a lot worse then what I was going for.

Pacypacy_

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll agree that owners are very much part of the problem and also that agressiveness is bred into pitbulls. What I don't understand is how many of you who insist on cradle to grave doing what's "best" for you government would object to banning pitbulls for everyones best interest.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 995
Posted From: 69.212.38.40
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll agree that owners are very much part of the problem and also that agressiveness is bred into pitbulls.

What you don't seem to understand is that aggressiveness toward other ANIMALS is a trait of pit bulls, not aggressiveness toward humans. In fact, pits were tradionally bred not to be aggressive towards people.

quote:

would object to banning pitbulls for everyones best interest.

It's not in anyone's best interest to ban a breed of animal for no logical reason.

Livedog2

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just do like Ontario, Ban them :-) Go over to Windsor and you can't have a Pitbull.

Now that makes too much sense to do!

I still like the attack porcupine idea. :-)

pork

Livedog2

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That poor dog could use a little MOOSE? HAHAHA (yeah, I know I spelled it wrong......) it was a SPIN on words

Livedog2

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You da woman, Detroitteacher!

Livedog2

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10227
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe the ignorance I am reading here. This is no different than stating a certain race is lazy, a certain race is violent, a certain race is smarter. This is the most bullshit I've read on the forum in a VERY long time.

As a owner of two Dobermans, it is a breed that went through the same thing pitbulls are now. They were once responsible for more attacks than any other breed, though they were also the most popular breed out there. This was in the 1970's and 1980's.

Because they were a popular breed, many people who had absolutely no reason for owning a dog, other than it was the popular thing to do. These dogs were mistreated, locked up, chained up outside, and many never got the required excercise they need. Because of this lack of exercise and attention, many became aggressive. I come across people on a daily basis while walking my dogs that are scared to death of Dobermans, simply because of the reputation they once had. Hollywood didn't help matters, as even to this day they categorize the dogs as vicious attack dogs, along with Rottweilers.

This reputation led to the decline in popularity, what was once the most popular dog has fallen to a rank of 21 or 21 amongst pedigrees.

I personally feel sorry for pitbulls, for it is society and irresponsible owners that are causing their poor reputation. Dogs are not violent by nature, that's just a bullshit excuse people use when they don't understand.

Rottweilers and German Sheppards have gone done the same path as well, as everybody took them as a mean/aggressive dog that can't be trusted.

It personally sickened me that recently I was partially responsible for a pitbull getting picked up in my neighborhood by police. As I knew his fate would likely end with him being put down. He was a great natured dog, probably only a year old, but had been used to train fighting dogs, as the poor guy was tore to shit. I had the poor dogs blood on my heads, as I inquired with a neighbor as to what we should do. Because of the way the dog was raised and used, there was no other option than to have him picked up. Even though the dog seemed to be the biggest baby, because he was all scarred up from fighting, there was no telling what may set the dog off. Such a shame, because the dog would have been a wonderful pet had it been raised by somebody who cared. Instead, he was dropped off by some asshole with a face that was half gone from the scarring.

Don't hate the breed, hate they assholes that make the breeds this way. I personally know 4 pitbulls, all are wonderful dogs.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe not da woman, but I was voted Teacher of the Month for May!!
On a serious note, I do feel for anyone involved in a dog attack....pit bull or otherwise. I have two wonderful dogs but I am always conscious of the fact that they could bite anyone at anytime, they are animals! Parents are responsible for the safety of their children....end of story. you don't subject a 5 yr old to dogs and leave them unattended. Just good parenting. I am not entirely blaming the parents....but if a loving dog will attack an adult woman (the old woman who was killed by an older family pit bull pet), then what makes someone think that dogs can't harm a small child. The dog could have thought the small child was prey.....especially if the dog felt threatened by screaming, sudden movements or the child bothering it. It's ALWAYS a good idea to muzzle a dog when it's around small kids....period.

Livedog2

Post Number: 535
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doberman Pinschers and German Shepherds were used in the K-9 Corps in Vietnam. The German Shepherd served honorably and faithfully saving many lives in the process. But, DOBERMAN PINSCHERS were dropped from the K-9 Corps because they were too high-strung and often times turned on their own handlers under fire.

Livedog2

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some logic will help this thread!

a lot of dog attacks are pit bulls and rottweilers.

we cant blame the dogs in every case.

lots of people who buy these dogs are ill-informed and continue to get them.

ban the people from buying such dogs until they get licensed in pitbull/rottweiler training.

also what happened to parents knowing about these dog attacks and keeping small children away from big dogs? my parents told me to stay away from stray animals and strangers. damn kids today!

Livedog2

Post Number: 536
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some logic did you say? The logic is that Detroit is a Ghettoland and people in the Ghettoland get pit bulls for exactly the reason they get them which is to attack people! There's no disconnect about what they are and what they do. If I lived in some of the neighborhoods in deToit I'd have a whole kennel of pit bulls rotated on a regular basis. I'd certainly have one assigned to my mountain bike for sure. And, they prolly wouldn't be enough to protect yourself against the creeping Ghettoland, anyway!

gangsters

Livedog2

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2139
Posted From: 66.2.148.90
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wise words, supersport...It's people that make bad dogs, and being old enough to remember when Dobermans were the "problem dog" I have to wonder which breed will be the villian in five years..My pitbull mix is ready to jump on anyone who approaches and lick them.
How's things in Woodbridge? Any stray knives flying thru your windows lately?

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 65.95.232.47
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its true its the owners that are usually the problem in training dogs to attack. I think the Pit Bull ban was put thought in Ontario though, because Pit Bulls are usually killers when they attack. But still banning one type of dog does not stop attacks.

The gov should go after owners who are training dogs to attack. There is no room for attack dogs in cities, and any kind of attack dog should be banned in a city. And the owner should be fined if they do train a dog to attack and it gets out or something and does harm someone.

I am very very against any kind of attack dogs and stupid owners, because when I was small we had a major issue with our neighbours dog, who attacked me twice, attacked other neighbours, and broke one of our neighbours legs with its bite. We had to put special fences up to keep the dog from jumping from our neighbours yard into ours, and into other neighbours yards. It was a nightmare and the day those people moved was the best day in our subdivision.
So I am very critical of dogs and don't trust any of them, and wish their owners would not train their dogs to attack.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any dog can be snappish if you play rough with it as a puppy. I had to stop my kids from playing rough with our dog when it was young and frisky. You don't want snapping behavior hard-wired into the everyday behavior. They'll snap anyway under stress . And purebred dogs seem to be pretty highstrung anyway. I like mutts with no pit bull or shepherd in them. The nastiest dog my father ever had was a little sleeve peke. He played with that dog until it went for your hand any time it barked.

Fury13

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And purebred dogs seem to be pretty highstrung anyway."

That's a myth, as is the old saw about purebreds being more prone to disease. It really depends on what breed you're talking about. Some breeds are high-strung, some aren't.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dogs are Shepard, Husky, Lab mixes. They are SO laid back and gentle....UNTIL.....someone comes on the property. The pizza guy makes me meet him at the drive...the dogs won't let me open the door! The snap at my ankles to tell me to not open the door. They are great with the kids......(but I tell the kids in the neighborhood to not try petting unless I am there). I have a double fence. The worse they do is dig in my flower bed!! I have always had mixed breeds and do tend to favor them for their attitudes and laid back personality. But that's just me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.